Atmas Impaler Needs Change

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JustMyBassCannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-03-2012

You've got 5 slots full, and you want damage and armor.

Well look here, we've got Atma's Impaler.

Or if you really desperately hate Atma's, I guess there's Madred's Bloodrazor.

Autocthon

08-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exdeadman View Post
You've got 5 slots full, and you want damage and armor.

Well look here, we've got Atma's Impaler.

Or if you really desperately hate Atma's, I guess there's Madred's Bloodrazor.
I've gotten Warmog's+Atma's+MBR on skarner

It was so fun :/

Windless Bear

08-03-2012

I'd really rather see something else like attack speed or flat AD on Atma's than just the passive AD.

axesandspears

08-03-2012

Atma's Impaler was never intended to function as a stack health->have tons of damage item.

The health-scaling is intended to be strong enough that the item is viable on everyone, even ranged ad carries who don't have much health, but give bruisers something comparatively closer to the benefit that a ranged ad carry gets from taking it. With the heavy scalars that factor into auto-attacks, bruisers always received a weaker "flat" damage boost than carries (even including some of those with ridiculously high ad ratios) from building ad. The health-scaling does nothing more than even that out a little bit, since bruisers will usually have more health.

Atma's is currently "balanced" considering its price and the stats one can get from it. The item doesn't see much use anymore because:
1. Players are still convinced that they must stack health for it to be "useful". Building some attack scalars like attack speed and more crit will enhance the item more than simply stacking health, but most players don't seem to realize that.
2. Armor itemization is currently very good, so the heavy bruiser builds like my particular Malphite builds will often use pure defensive armor items like RO and FH for the armor or Sunfire Cape, and build the ad-scalars from the physical offense+magic resistance items instead. This situation is similar to the real reason why Wits End is "better" than Ionic Spark....In that case, Wit's End is the "better" item because even though Ionic Spark is roughly the same or arguably stronger, it is easy to get health and comparably harder to get magic resistance so Wit's End "fits" into "better" builds.
3. Ranged ad carries are usually very heavily focused on damage modifiers, and rely on the team for defense so they rarely need more than 1 real defensive item. If they ever needed 2,--an extra with Banshee's or QSS--and they needed armor for the other slot, ranged ad carries "should" be taking Atma's Impaler for that slot. That "should" being that smart players who are capable of adapting would take Atma's, but dumb players who follow the fallacies of #1 would never pick it up under any circumstances.

Just a note that I hope players will remember. An item can be very "good", and still never be taken. Most "good" items are rarely if ever taken, simply because another build is more common or happens to be more "optimized" for some particular role.

Certified

08-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by axesandspears View Post

Just a note that I hope players will remember. An item can be very "good", and still never be taken. Most "good" items are rarely if ever taken, simply because another build is more common or happens to be more "optimized" for some particular role.
Another leading cause of "good" items never being taken is because of the mindset of many players... They'll watch their favourite Pro's in huge tournaments... They'll see that these Pro's always build in a certain way... Therefore, they'll build the same, without even actively thinking about it...

This is what leads people to believe:

-Bloodthirser, Infinity Edge, Phantom Dancer and Last Whisper are THE best items for your damage output as an AD carry...
-Last Whisper is better than Black Cleaver in all situations...
-ExCa need an upgrade because it's not worth the slot...
-Atma's is a bad item for AD carries...

None of the above is true... But still, people build in this certain way, and then complain that there is no custom itemizatin on an AD carry...

swallowthistroll

08-03-2012

Atmas definitely needs a rework... It costs way too much for it's stats which only give you the same amount of armor as a chain vest, and crit. chance? Crit chance is not a stat that a tanky bruiser really aims for. In my opinion, the agility cloak should be replaced with a giants belt to help kickstart the unique passive or a kindlegem to apply a stat that tanky bruisers are effective with. This would make Atmas Impaler an Item worth it's price.

Autocthon

08-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by swallowthistroll View Post
Atmas definitely needs a rework... It costs way too much for it's stats which only give you the same amount of armor as a chain vest, and crit. chance? Crit chance is not a stat that a tanky bruiser really aims for. In my opinion, the agility cloak should be replaced with a giants belt to help kickstart the unique passive or a kindlegem to apply a stat that tanky bruisers are effective with. This would make Atmas Impaler an Item worth it's price.
The typical champ with typical base HP and one HP item (Frozen Mallet for instance) gets 1300ish gold for an 825 combine cost.

In other words you're getting half again the gold out that you put into combining up your atma's. This puts atma's at roughly 1.25 gold efficiency. That's a value that's normally considered "good"

No champ in game get's less than a 1.1 gold multiplier out of it IIRC. And most bruisers are likely to be getting 1600 gold in stats out of it (firmly placing it in the 1.4 range).