Looking for advice

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lindre

08-03-2012

He's pretty vulnerable to CC too in team fight situations. If your DPS is on point (of course, this is reliant on your teammates, which are always hit or miss in solo queue), you can generally lock him down and finish him off before he gets too dangerous. Malphite with his ult up, Leona (especially with a Q/R combo), Alistair, or Blitzcrank are all pretty good at doing that.

Lindre

08-03-2012

With Leona specifically though, you want to lock him down as much as possible while your teammates kill him. You can tank his damage for a while, but he'll eventually kill you if your team doesn't kill him first. A Q/R combo shuts him down nicely for a decent bit, especially with an E immobilize and/or an Exhaust thrown in there as well. I pretty much always run Revive/Garrison on Leona though, but I imagine Exhaust can be rather useful as well for extra team protection on her. If you've got a Phage/Triforce/Mallet proc in there as well that also helps nicely.

Basically you're trying to lock him down for as long as possible so your team can kill him before he can do any real damage/kill your team.

Koravel

08-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goronok View Post
Darius has a moderate push of damage at the start, but then does almost nothing while he waits for bleed stacks to build up... then he just becomes a MONSTER with bleed stacks. He has NOTHING defensive in his kit by default, and no real closer.

There's a lot of room for counters there.

Burst damage... focus him down... he can build tanky, but he's not naturally tanky, and he needs time to become dangerous.

Exhaust or dodge abilities (while bursting him)... slows down his building of bleed stacks fantastically... but you have to use this time to kill him.

Kite him... he has no real gap closer.

Poke him... he has no real gap closer or sustain.
There are very few characters that can successfully kite Darius, and if you make one single mistake and get grabbed, that mistake is fatal. Building HP as your defense really doesn't do all that much when he's dropping 700 true damage on you. Not to mention that making one of your defensive items an HP one means you will have less armor and/or magic resist for everyone else on the team. Honestly, I don't understand how anyone can say a person with an ult that does that much true damage and refreshes on kill isn't overpowered.

You can't burst him down because if you do, the AD and AP carries will wreck your team. Darius is a bruiser, and contrary to what most people claim, is very hard to kill, especially on Dom. Only an idiot Darius is going to build glass cannon. Built as a bruiser, say Maw of Malmortius, Ghostblade, Pros-blade, Frozen Mallet, Frozen Heart/Thornmail, Merc Treads he will do 700-800 true damage with his ultimate. (I realize that may not be an optimal build, I was just getting health and resist and some offensive items.)

I saw possibly the worst Darius ever last night, just kept running straight in, not letting the tank initiate. Started out 0/5/1, ended up 13/11/8 and nearly pulling off a comeback. That's why the character is broken, even low-skill players do really well with Darius.

As someone else has said, most characters that are really good take quite a bit more skill to play correctly. Darius does not. Despite his low skill-cap, he still does very good, and that's one of the definitions of overpowered.

Yaomon

08-04-2012

As soon as he grabs, exhaust and run like Forrest Gump.