Looking for advice

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Luninareph

08-01-2012

Because of a rather humiliating loss I just came out of, where we were far in the lead but lost in the end due to the machinations of one particular opponent, I come seeking advice. What does one do to adequately shut down Darius in Dominion? All the advice I see about countering him is "Don't engage with low health" and "Don't let him initiate combat," which is good strategy for SR but doesn't work so well in the confines of the Crystal Scar. You can't avoid combat with Darius, particularly with that grab. So what should I be doing to counter him? Focus him first? Always grab Mallet? Something else entirely?

If it helps at all with the advice-giving, I've been practically maining Evelynn since her rework, but other favorites are Irelia, Leona, Hecarim, Lulu, Pantheon, Cassiopeia, and Vayne.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Rapture00

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-01-2012

Best advice i could give is never engage 1v1 unless you know you have upper hand (summoner spells and build) 2v1 is always been mine and my partners strategy against him. Find him alone in the jungle or on a point and just gank him and blow him up. Other than that i just go around him and counter back caps to lure him away.

Luninareph

08-02-2012

Thank you, Rapture00. I was hoping there might have been more tricks around, but if that's all we can go on against Darius...well, I guess it's better than nothing.

Does anybody else have any advice at all?

Koravel

08-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luninareph View Post
Thank you, Rapture00. I was hoping there might have been more tricks around, but if that's all we can go on against Darius...well, I guess it's better than nothing.

Does anybody else have any advice at all?
Darius is rather ridiculous at the moment, one of the strongest dominion picks. Unfortunately, that true damage, refresh on kill ultimate, is simply overpowered in the confines of the Crystal Scar in a way it really isn't on Summoner's Rift.

If he is bottom lane against me, all I ever try to do is stalemate the lane. Unless it's a bad player, that's all you really can do with 95% of characters, there are only a few that can take him.

If he is top.. I really don't know what to do. You can't afford to focus him down first, as he really only does damage in his opening salvo, and the AP and AD carries are going to do a lot more if you focus on a bruiser like Darius. But if you leave him alone, he will clean everyone up at the end of the fight. Still not really sure what Riot was thinking.

Play cautiously, ban him in draft mode if you can bear to wait 15 minutes to get a game, (if you're lucky), and try to stay out of range. People who are beefy, and with slows, (Malphite, bruisers with FM), should try to keep him away from your lower health teammates. He still wins about 75% of the matches I see him in, (where there isn't an enemy Darius).

Kayle makes a good counter to him, with her slow and her ability to put his ult on CD, (although this takes a great Kayle, because unless she times it perfectly, Darius is simply going to wait till her ult goes away), but of course, you aren't going to know when they have a Darius unless you are playing draft pick.

Darius needs two things to bring him down to the level of others. A) His ultimate cannot refresh on a kill. Make it so that it lowers CD by half, but not completely refreshes, and B) it needs to be physical damage. It can scale well, that's fine, but armor should mitigate the damage somewhat. Considering he has 25% passive ArPen built in, that would be just fine.

blackDAILO

08-02-2012

I still don't understand how Darius can get a refresh on his true damage ultimate while Garen has a 100 second cooldown on his magic damage ult.

Ridiculous..

irott

08-02-2012

My favorite trick is with Wu and that is to W right as he jumps in the air.

Lethal stoner

08-03-2012

as is said 2v1 or atleast a 50% hp boast over him
i also notice that most darius dont know how to cope with ranged champs kiting them and ap characters bursting him

as most of them are to cocky to back down cause

IM DERPIUS!

or just go trynda on his ass and show him whos boss

Redenbacher

08-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koravel34 View Post
You can't afford to focus him down first, as he really only does damage in his opening salvo, and the AP and AD carries are going to do a lot more if you focus on a bruiser like Darius. But if you leave him alone, he will clean everyone up at the end of the fight. Still not really sure what Riot was thinking.
This is what pisses me off the most about Darius. He's just as dangerous as a carry, but just as difficult to kill as your run-of-the-mill bruiser.

larkhill

08-03-2012

u can build enough hp to completely negate darius' dmg. just as you would build MR and armor against an AP or AD carry, you can built HP to stop true dmg.

Goronok

08-03-2012

Darius has a moderate push of damage at the start, but then does almost nothing while he waits for bleed stacks to build up... then he just becomes a MONSTER with bleed stacks. He has NOTHING defensive in his kit by default, and no real closer.

There's a lot of room for counters there.

Burst damage... focus him down... he can build tanky, but he's not naturally tanky, and he needs time to become dangerous.

Exhaust or dodge abilities (while bursting him)... slows down his building of bleed stacks fantastically... but you have to use this time to kill him.

Kite him... he has no real gap closer.

Poke him... he has no real gap closer or sustain.