Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

The Creation of Diana: Art, Story and Sound

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Helaman89

08-02-2012

Quote:
CrazyShuda:
I'm enjoying these in-depth posts describing the choices behind new champion art, lore, model, and design. Keep it up Riot!

Agreed! I am so looking forward to the release of this champion, and quite enthralled with the story, art, and overall tale of Diana

an actual girl

08-02-2012

Anime is not a good inspiration for character design. They're drawn by people who don't know how/are too lazy to draw proper faces and hair.

ChewableThunder

08-02-2012

Am I the only who's reminded of Bungie's Marathon logo?

Money32

08-02-2012

Great job Riot. I love the back story and the in depth look at the creation of her. Keep up the great work.

an actual girl

08-02-2012

Wow, okay

"We couldn't get away from a character that looked like a chick in armor, so we made a chick in armor."

Good work Riot, another anime barbie in form fitting armor and a ridiculous weapon. ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL.

I miss when you didn't design characters specifically around some stupid established lore resembling a bad anime (coincidence?), but simply made cool characters and then wrote lore around them. I suppose part of your creativity came from the limitations of your artist. He wasn't as skilled as your current artists, so you had to visually design characters that stood out without having immaculate splash art, and they were better for it.

Maybe you should stop releasing champs for the sake of releasing them. If you reach a creative block, don't just desperately churn something out by rehashing old champs and lore. You said you want to add more flavor, so maybe you should try new flavors instead of the same ones.

BootyTime

08-02-2012

Please stop making these! Release the champion on the patch day!

Sephïroth

08-02-2012

If you guys don't like anime, thats your porogative. If you don't like them being "unoriginal" then go play your boring games that are original.

Listen, we all have inspiration in life and all the things we do that are original were inspired by someone else, so in theory there is no originality. Shut up with your originality, they got an idea from something they enjoyed.

Good job Riot, keep it up. Ignore these 2 year olds.

an actual girl

08-02-2012

Quote:
Reimie:
If you guys don't like anime, thats your porogative. If you don't like them being "unoriginal" then go play your boring games that are original.

Listen, we all have inspiration in life and all the things we do that are original were inspired by someone else, so in theory there is no originality. Shut up with your originality, they got an idea from something they enjoyed.

Good job Riot, keep it up. Ignore these 2 year olds.

I'm not asking for complete originality never been done before, I'm asking them to not create the same god**** character 10 times, and to take inspiration from multiple sources instead of just 1. Zyra for example may be a huge ripoff of poison ivy, but it's at least more interesting than "anime barbie with fancy suit and weapon #10210948," both in terms of visual design and gameplay. Make more champions like that.

Kymmi

08-02-2012

Quote:
an actual girl:
Anime is not a good inspiration for character design. They're drawn by people who don't know how/are too lazy to draw proper faces and hair.

Yet many have realistic proportions (not all of course, as some anime is designed for kids.) In all honesty, those anime/manga artists have to understand the real human body and know how to draw it before they can go back and make a good looking anime. If they didn't do that, their art would look like all those 12 year old attempts at drawing manga/anime before understand how to draw a person with realistic features. I doubt they are lazy. Those anime are specifically designed to be a little non-realistic. If they weren't, then you might as well involve the actors and a video camera.

Character design doesn't ONLY refer to the art. It's the whole being of their character. Their personality. How they walk, talk, and react to specific situations. Honestly, go check how much work into any character.

So much ignorance, not enough will to understand. How do we live among each other....?

Kymmi

08-02-2012

Dear Riot,

I am just going to say I'm always happy to see a modest character. I loved Leona for that reason, and I'm happy Diana is the same way. Nothing wrong with looking good, but many female characters are distracted from their story and concepts and the audience just look at their bodies. Not all them are bad of course, but way to itemize women.

It's really annoying when, on occasion, men fuss over such things in a game. Then if they realize I'm a girl, I become a stupid object too.

Just something to think about. Still like the game. Still love the game play. And I like the characters who's bodies aren't overly emphasized.