Creative Design AMA - Shyvana, the Half-Dragon

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotRunaan

Associate Creative Designer

08-01-2012
5 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
What she think about Garen, Lux and Xin zhao? after all, they are part of the great army of Demacia no?
And what does she think of the external warriors like Master Yi, Volibear and Jax?
Quote:
Would there be any full-blooded humans beyond Jarvan that Shyvana respects or possibly interacts with somewhat "normally," or at least without feeling like they're afraid of her (provided they aren't), or feeling like they're inferior to her? Garen would be my best guess as to anyone who would fit in this category, due to his own loyalty to Demacia and Jarvan (with Xin Zhao and Lux being other possible examples, I suppose.) If so, how would she interact with them? How would she feel about the fact that there may be humans beyond Jarvan who can look past what she is to who she is, even though they may not understand her completely?
She respects all of them, but they may not be entirely friendly. Garen, for example, finds Shyvana to lack the principles that truly make a Demacian warrior. He values discipline and self-control, and in his mind, Shyvana exemplifies none of this. He'll fight beside her, but he may disapprove of her methods.

Shyvana probably finds Lux youthful and distant--Lux hasn't yet become a true warrior. Of the three of them, she probably gets along with Xin Zhao the best (second to Jarvan, of course).

There's a flaw to Shyvana in that she doesn't quite actively seek out people who might accept her--she tends to assume the worst of everyone she encounters. She always has her guard up.

Quote:
Do all dragons of Runeterra breathe fire?

Does Shyvanna hate her human side since it's been the reason behind the biggest hardships and tragedies in her life?
Probably not!

I think she hated her human side until she realized that humans, too, could be strong, and had their own value. That's a lesson she's still learning, however.

Short post, this one! Sorry! More later!

Quiksilvur

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-01-2012

I'm curious. Is Shyvana's pride and general self-confidence ever shaken when she is taken down by one of the many more... unorthodox champions in the game? For example, I'd think she holds Singed's fighting style in disdain, so succumbing to his "cowardice" would probably hurt her pride, if just a little bit. On the other hand, she may recognize such power and hold it in disdain because it doesn't require traditional strength. I'm unsure, but I'd think the former would come into play, at least during her initial League matches.

RiotRunaan

Associate Creative Designer

08-01-2012
6 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Where did Shyvana get her gauntlets and armor? Did her father craft them for her or did Jarvan have them commissioned when they returned to Demacia?
Got an answer for this one now! She had them crafted for herself, likely in Demacia.

Quote:
My question is, how does she feel towards Demacia itself? The fact that she operates on fury, and seems quite cold-blooded in-game, and the way she intimidates people (unintentionally or not), she doesn't really seem to personify Demacia's ideals. I kind of get the vibe that she doesn't really share Demacia's general beliefs or hold any loyalty to them, so much as she holds respect and loyalty towards Jarvan, and identifies herself as Demacian for his sake. Would you say that's accurate? Or does she hold more faith in Demacia's ideals than we actually get to see?
This is a really interesting question, and you're touching on some of the core conflict within Shyvana. I'd say that, when she came to Demacia, she did it more out of respect for Jarvan than anything for the nation itself, but what will happen to her ideals the longer she's there? Will she allow herself to be shaped by human philosophy? There's a lot of story potential here.

Quote:
What happened to the remains of her father and the unnamed Drake that she and J4 killed?
(They could harvest it for gear, or another party (Zaun scientist, mages, for example) could take it for research.)

In her lore it says J4 "men". So did this event happen during or after J4 decided to explore unknown places? I mean how far did she come with him? From midway his journey?
I'd imagine Shyvana burned her father's body or something similar. As for the drake she hunted with Jarvan, they probably took what they could for armor, gear, etc.

She met Jarvan towards the end of the prince's journey.

Quote:
i know this is probably off topic but is there any plans to implement more love interests in the champions story's ie: jarvan, shyvana
Perhaps! : ) Again, though, Shyvana sees Jarvan as a trusted friend.

Quote:
Does Shyvana take offense at the League officials creating a Dragonslayer Jarvan IV skin, however noncanonical it may be?

Or do skins literally not exist at ALL in the game's universe?
Most skins are completely non-canon. I'd say that Dragonslayer Jarvan is a nod to canon, but it isn't explicitly part of the story/something anyone would ever see Jarvan wearing.

Quote:
How is Shyvana like in person? Is she talkative to some? Reserved? She doesn't seem to care much about other champions ("I'm not sure she would have any particular thoughts on Twitch beyond 'snack,'"), but does she ever think about the big questions (like, does she ever ponder the "why"'s of the universe?)
Standoffish, intimidating, somewhat reserved and uncomfortable in human social scenarios (parties, gatherings, etc.) She thrives in battle with her warrior-comrades, and she probably is fully capable of taking a leadership position in the military (whether she's appointed one or not--she may just bark orders on fierce instinct). I'm sure she ponders the "why's" of the universe, but she's not very open with her deep thoughts. She may open up to Jarvan, though.

fortide

08-01-2012

Which champion would she be the most wary of? The most condescending towards to? (like pshh, how'd she/he/it get in the league)

Radiant Glory

08-01-2012

Will Shyvana ever have a rival champion come out or a connection too like Diana and Leona or Draven and Darius.

Super Rektagon

08-01-2012

How does Shyvana feel about the dragon on SR?

RocketSlug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-01-2012

Great, now I can totally imagine Shyvana going all tsundere over Jarvan.

Leotamer

08-01-2012

What relation is Shyvanna to the dragons on the feild of justice? Same breed? or are they just the spawn of the same race?

Phrixscreoth

08-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leotamer View Post
What relation is Shyvanna to the dragons on the feild of justice? Same breed? or are they just the spawn of the same race?
As I recall those are dragon constructs and not actual dragons.

Sulti

08-01-2012

I wan't to know the possibility of Shyvana getting along with Riven and Varus.

Varus because he knows what its like to lose his family and not have a home or anything, as well as the fact that he has lost some of his humanity to the demon in his hometown. Because of the demon inside of him and his only part-human body, he would be looked at in fear the same way Shyvana would imo.

I feel like Riven and Shyvana could be friends if they ever were willing to talk to one another. They both know what its like to have the community around them turn on them, both of them are self-sufficient and believe in their own strength to keep them alive, but they both also want a place to call their home. Although i doubt they would ever talk to each other because Riven is known for being a Noxian general, and Shyvana is known as a Damacian worrier. And even if J4 didn't order Riven to be attacked and either killed or taken prisoner on sight, They are both reserved and don't seem to care to talk to others.

in case you couldn't tell riven, varus, and shyv, were 3 of 4 champs i got on release

Also, I noticed you talk a lot about how things could be interesting story elements... is this hinting at more league lore outside of champion pages?