Champion Bio Updates

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kikka

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-01-2012

I would like more stuff about Akali. Is her mom even alive anymore? How does she interact with other champs if at all? What's her personality even like?

Kikka

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-01-2012

I can understand why there'd not be much information for ninja champions, but it feels pretty bare minimum lore wise for her.

Blizzaja

08-01-2012

I'm very much hoping that you get around to Zelos and Irelia. If anything, due to Irelia spending every night praying to the stars for her brother to come home, you could say she's pretty family oriented, y'know, with losing her father and no information of her mother.

She misses her bro dearly

Maeleene

08-01-2012

You're not going to hurt Orianna's background, are you...? That would be tragic.

Beyond that, it's nice to see some lore updates. I'm a closet lore-junky, so I'm always excited when something new rolls around in that department.

Rahgar

08-01-2012

Please, don't butcher my Olaf.

Also, when is Lokfar going to see some love? SO much lore potential there, and all we've gotten is Olaf and Brand.

Fulgr1m

08-01-2012

I remember two years ago when I decided to sit down and read the bio of every champion shortly after I really started to play LoL, and I have to say that I'm really looking forward to reading them again in updated fashion!

SBGC Jammer

Recruiter

08-01-2012

Interesting! I'm excited to read the new bios, and I'm stoked to find out more about what you're involved in at Riot. Thanks for letting us know.

Gixia

08-01-2012

I have... mixed feelings about this.

First off, and probably most important is that, truth be told, I don't actually find the most recent champion bios we've been getting to be higher quality. Honestly, I feel they've actually been trending worse, because, while they give us more info on personality and history, recently they've been giving us even less info on probably the one thing that matters most, which is why they're in the league of legends to begin with. Just look at Zyra's bio as a good example. There is no explanation as to why she joined the league, or how she even knew about it. No mention of it at all. And I think this is both a missed opportunity, and also does a disservice to the game's lore, when champions are just kinda 'there', and we don't even know why. The fact that we don't get league judgements anymore does not help with this.

Second, I am not in favour of retcons. I do not feel that changing details of lore after the fact does anyone any favours, serves to make lore more confusing, and alienates people when the change is one they don't like. As an example, the first time Shyvana's bio was reworked, it left an EXTREMELY bad taste in my mouth, to the point that I could not accept her new bio as canon over the original one, it struck me as so much worse. Though, in all fairness, Jayce's bio rework was a noticeable improvement over the original, and I'm much happier with the newest Shyvana bio introduced in the latest patch (I find the latest one is much more in line with the spirit of the original, and much more befitting the character than the second one we had). Fiora though... while not by a huge amount, I'd say worse than the original. I actually preferred the way Fiora's father just kind of disappeared from the story after being discovered as a fraud, as if he had dishonoured himself and his family name so much that he was no longer even worth discussing or even worthy of Fiora or anyone else dealing with personally. I don't know, it's not a deal breaker but I think the new one for her is a downgrade. then you have the addition of free will to the champions, which seems like it would result in drastic changes to some of the characters. Afterall, Nocturne and Xerath's entire storylines kind of revolve around them being prisoners. Hell, if the things they say in-game wouldn't even make sense anymore if you took that away from them. Unless you were specifically referring to only Cho'Gath and Brand, which I guess is alright? I kinda got a few hints here and there, but I never even actually knew for sure whether Cho'Gath WAS bound or not.

On more positive notes, I AM eagerly looking forward to us getting new channels for exploring the lore of LoL, especially since we don't really have anything now that the JoJ has been shut down. So I'm eager to see where the overall storyline will head next. I'm also all for seeing more interaction between champions and seeing more of what they do when they're not on the fields of justice (though going back to Fiora's bio for a moment, I find it ironic that the removal of Jarvan's quote/opinion of her from it, she feels like she actually loses interaction as a result).

In summary, I look forward to new sources of lore, but I remain wary of changing champs' bios.

RagingBasilisk

08-01-2012

Just read the Shyvana and Fiora updated bio's. LOVED THEM, happily awaiting more !!! ^^

Nvos

08-01-2012

I'd absolutely hug you if you updated Veigar's lore. As it is, it gives him great reason of why he is who he is, but it never explains just why he got into dark magic or how his insanity became malevolence, which I find to be key parts to his backstory.