Noob needs help with strategy

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Stillhart

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-10-2010

Hi! I'm new here (about 4 days in) and so far Sivir has been one of my favorites. I tried using the "god tier" build in the guides (aura/support build) last night. The first game, we won around L14. I've never won that fast before, it was a full-on curb stomp. The guys on the other team just didn't have any way to deal with us once we got the first inhibitor down.

The second game, however didn't go so well. Playing with a new team and nothing seemed to go right. I had mid lane and the guy I played against had too many HP to harass well with BB. I didn't get my Starks fast enough and by mid-game they were split into a 4-person gank squad and a 1 person bait/pusher. We never quite got a full 4-on-4 fight and our team kept splitting up and getting picked off. We were completely out-played.

My question is, how to adapt to that kind of situation. I tried moving off to empty lanes to push towers when the gank squad was across the map. Unfortunately, with this build I don't have enough raw dps to take down towers super fast. I couldn't effectively push far enough fast enough to give the team breathing room. Should I have gone for more dps? More defenses so I could get away when the inevitable gank squad showed up?

I also tried hanging around with the team but the team kept splitting up and nobody was tanking really...everyone was scared to get hit, meaning we got easily beaten.

I'm trying to think this thru so I have more of a plan than last time. I take it as a learning experience but I want to take away the right lesson. Help is appreciated!

EDIT - I meant Starks, not Shroud.

Controlled By Me

09-10-2010

Wards. Put wards around your jungle to see them coming. Maybe even set up a counter-gank if your team is cooperating. If your team doesn't cooperate in trying to surprise them where they're vulnerable/semi split up, then you can consider the game to be a lost cause.

BraveryBeyond

09-10-2010

Sivir is a tricky hero and highly dependant on what sorts of items you play with. The build you're giving is purely a support based build and your playstyle should be treated as such. Your damage numbers won't be high but you'll help the team by getting out a lot of helpful auras, as well as putting some damage on them through Boomerang Blade and Bouncing Blades. On the flip side, you can build her pure carry and really throw out some numbers. I don't want to throw out too many item options for fear of sounding like a n00b myself (I just don't play Sivir enough) but I think standard carry items (Infinity Edge, Stark's Fervor, Phantom Dancer, Frozen Mallet, Bloodthirster, etc.) would do her nicely. Because only one of her moves scales at all (Boomerang Blade), building AP is generally frownd upon.

As for other strategy tips? Obviously you had poor team play and they didn't. Sticking together in the late game is what it's all about. They must have either recognised your team's inability to group up or had a strong mid-game to be able to face you guys 4v5. In either case, make them pay for thinking they can do that, as it's generally their carry that splits off to rush another lane. Win the 4v5 and then bullrush up that lane. This forces the carry to either A) Push faster than your team, which isn't going to happen -or- B) Play defense, which isn't helping him do his job of trying to split the lane push. Above all, your team should have been sticking together and it's that sort of poor organisation that lost you the match.

Also, as an extra tip: knowing who's tanking will boost team confidence. The person who's tanking will have a proper item set to initiate, while the rest of the team knows who should be getting beaten up/dying, so they won't immediately abandon ship when half of that hero's life is gone within two to three seconds. If the problem is that the tank simply can't hold the burst being put out by the opposing team, make them engage your team at a tower. It gives you and added advantage and you can use some crowd control skills to try and get the tower to focus and individual down.

Hope this help =)

WeAreLegion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-10-2010

While in lane, you should make sure that you're baiting your opponent into blowing a spell on you while you have spell shield up to keep your mana high. Farm as much as possible with Sivir.

Manamune would be a strong item to keep your mana up for boomerang blade (which you should use primarily for farming; not harassing), and you should take manamune over chalice of harmony. Mercury Treads, Boots of Swiftness, Boots of Mobility, and Ninja Tabis are all solid choices for boots, select your boots based on their team. Ghostblade is also a strong item for Sivir, because all of the stats are good, and the activatable makes your mobility stronger.

Aura sivir is one of the weaker builds in my opinion.
Items that help Sivir to push towers, do damage to the enemy team, and increase Sivir's mobility/Survivability include; Frozen Mallet, Madred's Bloodrazor, Ghostblade, Starks Fervor, Guardian Angel, Banshee's Veil, and Manamune.

Farming and paying attention to your damage output is important, but leadership is important too. Communicate with your team: Make sure they understand your intentions and make observations about the enemy team; share strategies that help counter the opponents strategies.

Be Considerate: Your team is the key to victory, never focus on yourself if you have a member that is lagging behind in levels or gold, Your team is only as strong as its weakest member (unless you are stupidly fed).

Pay attention: Call mias, Call for ganks, Pay attention for when your team mates need help, and make mental notes about what the enemy team is building.which leads me to my last advice..

Know your role and know enemy champions roles; Performing your job is the best service you can do for your team. Knowing how enemy champions (both the champion and the player behind it) will react to you or your team is 50% of the game.

Stillhart

09-10-2010

Yeah I get the impression that the aura build is high risk/high reward with PUGs. I've only played two games with it so maybe I'll give it another shot and see. I have built for dps before and it's pretty fun (it's why I like her so much) but I do like being support. I guess it's just hard to be support without a team that works together. Maybe I'll save that build for when I dual-queue.

Otherwise, some great advice in here. I have to see how much I can integrate into my game. Thanks guys.

WeAreLegion

09-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post
I guess it's just hard to be support without a team that works together.
You hit the nail on the head with that one. However, even DPS Sivir has support utility!

Kharibou

09-10-2010

^ Wards

Also, it might help to vary your item build depending on what champions you're facing, their type of damage/defense, and what they're building.

AgentQ

09-10-2010

The real trick to playing is variation on your champion. Your aura support build probably works best if you have someone else on your team with strong dps. Otherwise you should try to build dps yourself.

Stillhart

09-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharibou View Post
^ Wards

Also, it might help to vary your item build depending on what champions you're facing, their type of damage/defense, and what they're building.
Yeah, these are both what I'd consider "advanced" concepts. I'm starting to try to watch their items but I don't know them all by heart yet so I can't always tell what I'm looking at. Also "wasting gold" on wards is counter-intuitive but makes sense. I'll work on those two things...

xpsychedelico

09-10-2010

Aura Sivir is best played when you're always with your team. Your team benefits most from your auras, so you shouldn't be solo pushing. If you build Stark's + DPS, then yes, you can solo push towers on your own. But aura Sivir is meant to buff her team by staying with them, giving them bonuses in team fights, and your team has to understand that being with you makes then infinitely stronger than the enemy, and they should stay with you. It's a more risky build if you are solo queuing since you don't know how your teammates will respond to your aura buffs, a lot of people don't realize how powerful they can be.