Why does no one build Soul Shroud?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rustmaker

07-31-2012

I know Soul Shroud is commonly a support item, but I don't really understand why no one seems to build it. It gives a decent amount of health and a nice CDR aura - but all I keep hearing when I ask why no one builds it is: "It's just bad." That's not really very informative so I would like to hear any explanations for why people consider it an underpowered item.

XCodes

07-31-2012

There's never a good time to build it.

Yes, it's a cost-effective item with a generally useful aura, but there's no good time to buy a Mana Manipulator, and you can combine Kindlegems into a lot of other very useful items. Also, the aura is of questionable use for your team since they have to use their ability while affected by the aura in order to get the reduction benefit.

bob000

07-31-2012

It is worse than shurelia and aegis and by then it is late game where randuins and frozen heart look good. It can be situationally useful if your casters are fed and they dont already have max cdr.

Certified

07-31-2012

But chances are, your caster WILL have max CDR, with Blue Buff...
When they don't have Blue Buff, theř probably won't have max CDR... So the CDR aura is still somewhat effective... The aura would only have a 50% uptime on effetiveness...
The Mana Regen aura has almost the same limitations, except other people on your team still get a decent benefit...
In a team fight, if your AP carry doesn't have Blue, this item could potentially be helpful, Maybe...
After or Before a team fight, the Mana Regen aura could be helpful for poke comps or to push waves/turrets down faster... Maybe...

So... It COULD be a good item, but others are simly better, plus since it doesn't build from a GP/10 item, you're already at a disadvantage if you try to build this...

If you have an extremely passive laning AD carry and you're playing a support without a heal... You could consider getting an Emblem of Valor + Mana manipulator...

Also, if playing Dominion, TT or Proving Grounds, The lack of Blue Buff could make this item more valuable, considering it's harder for your AP carry to max CDR...

Verliswolf

07-31-2012

I used it for a while on taric, buying manipulator as a first item for super mana sustain with the carry and harass with the innate. Then go kindlegem for the extra HP and CDR but by the time I build the shroud its near the end of its use for the mana increase and there is an issue with the aura since it only really works to poke before a teamfight. Its useful to build into but not useful to have,

Certified

07-31-2012

AP caster + AP support with a spammable poke...?

Such as... Lux + Nid...

Lux would be able to build more AP instead of MP5... Clearing waves easier with AoE from a distance... Nid wouldn't run out of mana as easily, meaning she can spend more on harass/sustain...

Well-placed Nid traps could make up for the lack of wards and negate the need for as many GP/10 items as a normal support might build...

Soul Shroud still has potential... But in the current META the class who usually benefits the most from the aura is typically in a solo lane (IE mid)... And therefore not benefitting from the Aura early game, where it's most effective...

Xela Syab

07-31-2012

The main problem with Soul Shroud is that it gives the lowest CDR of anything built with a kindlegem. Even Zeke's has more cdr.

Lazreal

07-31-2012

I like this item too, It can actually free up alotta gold if your team knows your gonna get it.

However not sure that they 0cs meta approves, but then again I don't approve of the 0cs support meta, and alot of the recent RADC going bot have mana issues, such as Ezreal and Corki, this item would work wonders for their support to have it.

I think the support should atleast be able to have 1 creep per wave, probly a mage for they're the easiest to last hit. While I think their will be a meta shift soon we're supports that don't need to buy so many wards will start being utilized such as, ORIANNA, ZYRA, ANIVIA, HIEMERDINGER, MAOKAI, and TEEMO. All these champs have built in visibility and/or CC & Burst.

Which will free up alotta Gold for better builds.

cauliflower

07-31-2012

The mana regen aura is only really useful in lane phase imo, when you should be buying gp5's instead. It's still not too noticeable anyway. The other stats are cdr and health, which are better replaced by sheralyas, aegis and frozen heart. On top of all that, soul shroud costs too much for what it does.

Akira Kid41

08-01-2012

Manipulator is a great item for Maokai support. Mana regen is Mao's best meta stat, and its nice being able to have your carry packing mana at all times as well, especially when they also have a stun to throw around with his.