I have a problem with Rod of Ages...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

port5

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkin Rei View Post
I had Anivia in the list, but figured that Athene's and Tear of the Goddess worked better
Word.

McNaulty

07-31-2012

Karthus.

You want to be farming with Q anyways....

Xela Syab

07-31-2012

I always rush the item on Lux but after boots and it works well on Xerath, Gragas, and Morgana. It's really situational though, if you can kite well and need some more survivability then its better to get than Athene's Unholy Grail. If you're gonna be using your abilities all the time for combos and need AP then go Archangels, if you're using abilities sparingly and need to be tanky then grab RoTa, If you're constantly have to use abilities and have a high mana base (support) then grab AUG.

Akira Kid41

08-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea De Penserhir View Post
Doran rings do not provide the amount of mana required by certain champions, of which, Rod of Ages is more useful than Archangels because Archangel's doesn't help you survive.
Two Doran's rings plus 3 mana per five flat runes are more than adequate for any ap mid... All game. ROA is only useful on tanky ap champs, such as singed, cho, Mao, etc, as I believe it is the only item to offer both AP and Health. If youre playing ap carry mage then you health is a waste of a stat as you are not going to reinforce it with resistances, not to mention if you know how to play your role you should ideally never be in harms way. It is always unfortunate when my AP carries insist on leading the front lines : (

Also, unless you are playing a champion that converts actual mana into another value, there are plenty of AP items that offer enough regen to sustain you in the field without having to spend gold on base mana. Mana really is a wasted stat unless you are playing Singed, Ryze, or Blitzcrank.

NoMonku

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-01-2012

RoA isn't bad, but its not as strong as it was either. Its a good solid item that will give you a relative amount of sustain in the laning phase because of catalysts passive which transfers over to RoA, but RoA comes with the downside of not being as offensive as other items like Rylia's or DCap. RoA is a good all around item, but unless you're playing a tanky AP champion, you'll usually opt for more damage over the defense. Also because of RoA's passive, getting it late game usually isn't worth it because it takes awhile for it to gain all its stats, which is why you will usually only seen it rushed or not used at all.

Lazreal

08-01-2012

It is the end all be all Item for MAGES, It allows you that bit of survivability so you can use your spells more in a team fight without being instakilled while maybe getting off 1 combo if focused.

Having the increased mana pool combos with Athene's Unholy Grail aswell, have a much bigger boost of mana coming in, for Anivia, Karthus, Amumu, Singed, Kassidin, Orianna and Cassiopia this is HUGE

Especially in aggressive game, going back because your OOM or having to wait for MANA regen can straight up lose you a fight for dragon or a tower.

Sinopion

08-01-2012

I play Anivia mid a lot and have many many games with her. I almost always go for the catalyst first. The grail is great but if you are getting blue buff at 7 mins and have the catalyst mana per lvl it is enough with good play to dominate the mid lane. I like the catalyst more than the grail because of the health per lvl that it gives I can trade with any mid or survive a gank and not have to drain health pots or go back right away. For mana it's good but the best thing it does for me is the health on lvling. It has great lane sustain. Once I have built the catalyst I get lvl 1 or 2 boots and then, depending on the game, finish the RoA or go for a needlessly large rod into deathcap.

I have tried building many different ways in mid (dorans, tear, grail, boots, and catalyst) and faced champions that have tried many different things as well but I can safely say that the mana and health lane sustain from an early catalyst has been the best result on Anivia.

Akira Kid41

08-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazreal View Post
It is the end all be all Item for MAGES, It allows you that bit of survivability so you can use your spells more in a team fight without being instakilled while maybe getting off 1 combo if focused.

Having the increased mana pool combos with Athene's Unholy Grail aswell, have a much bigger boost of mana coming in, for Anivia, Karthus, Amumu, Singed, Kassidin, Orianna and Cassiopia this is HUGE

Especially in aggressive game, going back because your OOM or having to wait for MANA regen can straight up lose you a fight for dragon or a tower.
But that health won't save you from a stun, and that health won't save you from all the nuke you will take while stunned. Unless you build resistances, though if you've done this your abilities do near to no damage in a rotation any way and you are useless. Even if you live to cast again, chances are the enemies AP carry has already stomped your allies and you are going to die, let alone do any significant damage that they have not already healed.

TLDR: Don't buy ROA unless you plan on taking hits. If you are your team's AP carry, do not plan on getting hit.

Magma Armor0

08-02-2012

surprised no one mentioned swain yet...

Treza

08-04-2012

rod of ages is a great item! damage, survivability and sustainability all in 1 item.. whats not to like?
its made from catalyst which is a great item go get during the laning phase to keep not only your mana but also hp topped up. i build it on basically every ap champion, really no reason not to!

think about it for a second... needlessly large is 1600 coins for 80 ap. rod of ages gives 80 ap and like 600 hp and mana. 1200 coins for 600 hp and mana that builds from an item you can get at lv 1 and an item thats great for the laning phase? and thats completely disregarding the value of the restoration on level! truly a great item

also the bonus mana combos with archangels!