I have a problem with Rod of Ages...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Magikcarp

07-31-2012

I never use it. I am told by many people that it is a "good" item but i really don't see it.

On my AP mids i always start boots then just work to double dorans then either rabodons, ryleis, or will depending on the champion.

I have the mana regen that i need, i trade well in lane, i get blues and i really don't see the point of RoA.

Can someone tell me what the hell is wrong with me or if they never use it either?

Dusty Man

07-31-2012

lol play singed....you gonna use it! believe me

Magikcarp

07-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown380 View Post
lol play singed....you gonna use it! believe me
Singed isn't an AP mid

Dusty Man

07-31-2012

"I never use it. I am told by many people that it is a "good" item but i really don't see it."

the question was not only for a mid champions? or was it ...!?

Nea De Penserhir

07-31-2012

Doran rings do not provide the amount of mana required by certain champions, of which, Rod of Ages is more useful than Archangels because Archangel's doesn't help you survive.

TheUnburned

07-31-2012

ROA became outclassed when they created Athene's Holy Grail. (it lost its monopoly on being a mana-hungry mage item).

It's still a good all-around caster item, but it's so much easier to Build a couple of Doran's rings, and then something legitimately useful like an Abyssal Scepter or a Rylais.

The only thing setting it apart from the Dorans to Abyssal build you're seeing more often today, is the regen boost when gaining levels; which is nice, especially on Junglers or Top laners.

KyroRayne

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-31-2012

Ryze, Singed, Morgana, sometimes Blitz. RoA has more HP with it as well, and gives you back hp and mana regen per level up. So this is actually very good for staying in lane. After lvl 18, It isn't much better than Rylai's so you could trade it in if you have the gold.

XCodes

07-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkin Rei View Post
Ryze, Singed, Morgana, sometimes Blitz. RoA has more HP with it as well, and gives you back hp and mana regen per level up. So this is actually very good for staying in lane. After lvl 18, It isn't much better than Rylai's so you could trade it in if you have the gold.
I'm going to add Anivia to that list, because Anivia is so mana-hungry that you could benefit from both RoA *and* Grail, and Anivia's passive effectively doubles the HP bonus. Too good on Anivia.

That said, what AP Mids do you play? For quite a lot of them, you do want to just rush Deathcap, and after Deathcap it's kinda pointless to build RoA.

KyroRayne

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-31-2012

I had Anivia in the list, but figured that Athene's and Tear of the Goddess worked better

axesandspears

07-31-2012

Rod of Ages is still strong, but it is more of a late-game investment that you build early--sort of like taking an early gp10 item. Taking RoA over another ap item is usually a risk because you will be "weaker" while you are building it and for a short while after finishing it, but the item is still legitimately the strongest ap+defense item in the game from pure stats.

Mid-lane advantages often swing much further one way or the other than the other lanes, so taking "risks' is usually more hazardous. That is why you really do not see RoA often.