Way of the Monkey King: Calling all Wukong players

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KillerQuiller

07-30-2012

Wukong has been a champion that I have enjoyed ever since I first played him during one of his free weeks. I bought him soon after when he came up on sale and started to top lane with him, with mixed results. His kit is just really fun and at the same time somewhat strong. His armor shred, gap closer with an ats boost, competent juke skill that also baits out combos or makes the opponent waste something and a strong ultimate that leads to beatdown city if the opponent cannot get away when you go off. Even when I don't do so well I still find him fun because of his ultimate still doing damage and disruption and his clone for utility and general ****ery. But for some reason after a couple of loses I shelved him and let him collect dust. I want to bring him out into my light now and become proficient with the Monkey King. Considering doing a marathon with him until I feel confident with using him.

A few questions to help out with my journey:

• What are his core items? I figure Trinity Force is an item he appreciates, but what else?
  • What would a general Wukong build look like? Before people start dropping the "You build what's needed" line, I know that. But I'm asking what he builds assuming the game is going as normal for Wukong. I don't know what to think. Some people say rush Wriggles, others Dorans x2 and Brutalizer, others rush Triforce items like mallet and sheen etc..
  • How to go about using his skills? I recall doing the hit and run thing (e, q, w) when I was playing him but doesn't seem like the best way to go about it considering that combo leaves you OOM very quickly. I'm thinking a proper route would be threaten with Q and either walk away/clone or to chase him with auto attacks, then hit E if I notice him starting to get away. Add Cyclone when time is right for the kill or to force the guy out of lane
  • Cover some misconceptions and myths about Wukong. Would like to know so that I don't fall into any bad ahbits as him
  • Match ups. The general tip that I hear about Wukong is if the enemy top lane can't sustain, bring the king. If they can, especially well, pick someone else or have a bad time. And I figure people who can reveal Wukong give him a hard time (Darius, Lee Sin). However I would like to hear others thoughts about this. Like I've heard that despite Yoricks insane sustain apparently can somehow make it out well (I assume the logic is to crushing blow red ghoul to kill it asap when you can't run into a brush then hit him up when safe to do so when ghouls are down) but idk if this is fact or if a guy got lucky and just played against a bad Yorick and suddenly claims that Wukong can rustle Yoricks jimmies.
  • [B]Who can I watch to better myself as Wukong? I try to watch Dyrus, Cruzer, and VoyBoy whenever I can but I have yet to see any of them play him once. Only source to consider is a gentlemen who goes by the name Zz Facecheck GG. I see him come up in spectator menu from time to time, usually as Wukong but I don't ever think to watch him play.
  • What runes/masteries generally benefits Wukong the most? For runes I have Ad quints, Ad marks, armor seals and mr glyphs. Still need to buy an armor rune page but I keep buying champions instead. Haha. Masteries I keep jumping between 21/9/0 and 9/21/0. Thinking the former is better but iunno.

Can't think of what else to list so ill leave it here for now. Thanks in advance to everyone who helps out.

Ur little sister

07-31-2012

I'm a bit in the same place as you. I've found wukong quite dissapointing due to the fact that his sustainlessness leaves him open to getting outscaled in lane.

That being said, he flourishes in teamfights and I really love him around this time. I also like his animations the most out of any champion in the game.

A build that works for me is rushing a couple of early doran's blades, going straight into brutalizer and then building tank or tanky (FH, Randuin's, Frozen Mallet, Wit's End, Banshee are items I'm quite fond of on him). This build tries to abuse the armor shred on his Q, allowing him to build very tanky without having to build insane damage items. Come around teamfights, you can still destroy a squishy, and your cc and base damages are still great in teamfights.

Though honastly I've been liking J4 better at doing pretty much the same thing.

Alecsai

07-31-2012

Honestly since he scales with AD i usualy go with a Brutalizer, hexdrinker Mallet, and such items Wriggles for tops and jungle is a good core item. If i want to get beefier, a warmog+atmas is a good choice too, but wits end and further "on hit" items, no because hes the kinda champ you go in poke once or twice and get out with.As for the triforce, its a good item on him if you snowball early game.

Rounder22

07-31-2012

Wu's biggest problem is sustain. I love the burst and kit though. I just recently picked him up too. I think he is great top lane when your jungle will gank for you, the burst damage makes for successful ganks. The trick is managing your health, keeping it high enough to live through a gank and possible counter gank.

As far as build, damage is important but it has to be tanky enough to live through using your ult in a team fight.

I'm not sure why we don't see him in the jungle more. Good clear times, mobile, great burst, sneaky with W, should be able to lane gank well. Red buff and phage seem key to me.

Attico

07-31-2012

I think we don't see him in the jungle more because he has no CC till 6. I'f you have hard CC in lane, as is now often the case, he works very well.
I feel the real key to Wu is being aggressive early. He bursts much like a Jax, yet people often play passive with him. You can out trade most sustain tops, and once you get your Wriggle you are fine. He needs to be tanky to survive his initiation, but I find that more than 150 Armor and 120 MR is getting too much. He needs AD to be a real force.
I also really like BC on him, synergizes very well with his kit.

Alsoned

07-31-2012

I typically start boots and pots, 2x doran's, phage, upgrade boots, sheen, trinity, warmogs, then whatever.

I don't typically worry about sustain with Wukong because of his ability to dance away from aggressors and to quickly farm a wave. I find that my build helps me quickly harass and then escape a trade in a favorable position.

If I am able to force my opponent out of lane, I usually head mid to gank or at least harass a bit.

As has been stated, im not a fan of the chance on hit items for Wukong. I feel like anything that encourages you to stand and auto attack distracts from the champions strengths. And besides, finishing this build with atmas, maw of mal or any other off tank items allows you to burst while giving the toughness to disengage and turn on a fight as needed.

As far as masteries and runes, I pretty much just play him as a straight AD carry. 21/9 with a mix of armor pen and damage reds and quints, flat armor and scaling MR.

Take this with a grain of salt as I am anything but pro, but I've had a very favorable win percentage with Wukong so far.

KillerQuiller

07-31-2012

Nice to see some Wukong players show up.

Guess ill see if the Triforce rush works. Like the guy above me stated while Wriggles is a neat item on quite a few other champions it feels a bit forced on someone like Wukong. Instead of going with damage items and other stats you start going out of the way to become what Wukong isn't meant to be. But sometimes I found it frustrating as hell trying to stay in the lane without it so idk. Probably better off to get Wriggles if in a losing position in lane.

I'm not a fan of atmogs lately. Warmog is a good hp item but I feel disappointed sometimes that it doesn't do anything else compared to other hp items like Frozen Mallet, Triforce, Randuins, and Sunfire Cape. I also don't even bother trying Atmas on anyone anymore unless I can get close to or +4k hp since the nerf. Without a staggering amount of hp the damage is fairly miniscule. If I want to top off my build with damage I get a Bloodthirster and seek defence elsewhere.

I like your reponses guy they're helpful but it looks like most of you guys are only covering half of my bullet points. Guess I can't have everything though

Edit: What do you guys think about Sunfire Cape? Its not the best tanky item but its relatively quick and cheap with general tanky stats on it. The passive is pretty **** strong when sitting on top of someone with Cyclone, or just adds a little extra bit of damage if you can sit on someone or duel them.

Alsoned

07-31-2012

I only take sunfire on champs where I'm purposefully going to be wading through lots of creep waves, or purposefully bringing the middle of folks, or a champ with auras like Amumu.

Was just messing with the LoL encyclopedia app on my phone and if it is right, atmas adds about 50 damage to Wukong with a warmogs, which I think is pretty significant and in my mind still worth it. I'm just not sure what else I would take.

KillerQuiller

07-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsoned View Post
I only take sunfire on champs where I'm purposefully going to be wading through lots of creep waves, or purposefully bringing the middle of folks, or a champ with auras like Amumu.

Was just messing with the LoL encyclopedia app on my phone and if it is right, atmas adds about 50 damage to Wukong with a warmogs, which I think is pretty significant and in my mind still worth it. I'm just not sure what else I would take.
50 is fine and all but you used to be able to get close to 70 AD with Atmogs. Atmas is now build later on compared to before where it was rushed right after an hp item. With the gold it takes to get Atmas you can alternatively buy a B.F sword (close enough to same damage) and a scepter for sustain instead of the additional armor, assuming you have room for both. For 900 more gold and some farm to fill it up you can have an item with 100 AD and 20% LS opposed to 50 AD, 45 armor and 18% crit.

This is just my thought and I guess the question would be which one has more desired assortment of stats. If 50 AD and 33% crit rate (assuming triforce) is greater than 100 flat AD. Then if 45 armor is better than 20% LS (would probably vary from build on his effective the LS is).

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe you're wrong. The only thing we know for sure is that discussion like this is better than none at all.

KillerQuiller

08-03-2012

Bump: dunno what to talk about so Wukong report for meaningful bump

4/2/?: was going to Wukong top for some fun, derp lastpick instantlocks Fiora while never saying anything. I ask her to grab smite since we didn't have a jungler. I ended up picking up smite and doing Wukong jungle for the first time.

Not to sound arrogant but usually I have to complain all day at junglers because they never know when to gank a lane, when they do they go in when I'm not ready and just wastes his own time. Or the semi-rare jungler who sits in jungle camps and farms, does maybe 2-3 ganks and calls himself a hero. I almost never jungle but I considered myself better at the role than most of my peers (normal draft
junglers suck). Got my buff thanks to a good leash then proceeded to gank as often as I could or stay around and harass camp a lane when nothing better to do. Surprisingly did better than their Udyr jungle, who is supposed to be a better jungle champ. Not sure if decent jungle initially or if watching Oddone and reverse engineering what all my junglers do helped here.

?(super fed, can't remember numbers): They pick Xin after my Wukong but apparently they tried to be cool by sending their Ezreal top and Xin bot. Thought I was in trouble but I figured all it took was dodging one of his skillshots then moving in to give him a mouth full. At times it was. Difficult when he landed multiple shots but eventually lvl 6 + wriggles + phage = started racking up kills top lane real
quickly. Naut jungle of theirs was pretty **** annoying though. Team fights come and I just farm off of Ezreal and Xin. Sadly our Lux and Warwick kept throwing fights so it was kinda 4 v 5. 5p mins later me and Trist are killing machines and our Janna is commanding us to victory with a base race.

Waiting for real top lane results. Zzz

/wall