Zyra - Creative Design Ask Me Anything

First Riot Post
1234567 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Skribbles

Associate Writer

07-30-2012
2 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIX View Post
I'll start with the obvious: What are Zyra's opinions on Maokai and vice versa?
Well that was fast. (riddle)

I think Zyra would look down on Maokai, although I could see some interesting interaction between the two in their futures. Personality-wise, Zyra is a predator, a killer, the wild fury of nature, whereas Maokai is the sturdy, defensive, protective force of nature. Zyra loves the power that her new "animal" form gives her, Maokai laments it. I think they might be the only ones able to show each other the merits of either form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiks75 View Post
If there's a Zyra on Team A and a Zyra on Team B, can Team A's Zyra use Team B's seeds to make plants?
It's true I'm not the primary resource for gameplay questions, but I'd venture to guess that the reason is because this would be a bit too strong of a counter. Zyra vs. Zyra gameplay would change dramatically, and it probably would feel terrible to have your own seeds turn against you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Eredale View Post
Roo~ SHEN'D

Oh well. My question is, if Zyra's kin have perished, what is the current state of vegetation in the jungle she originates from? I figure it hadn't disappeared entirely, but rather there are no longer intelligent species like Zyra?

Also, does the creative team do "100th win" matches? Because I have mine in about a hundred, and my eyes are set on you guys ;D
There is still vegetation. Zyra was a very special type of plant, one so powerful it exhausted its own resources to live. In the place of this species, others will rise. As to whether there are any other intelligent species or not, I'd say the jungle is full of surprises.

You might be able to talk us into a 100th win match. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E3olo8reftis View Post
What kind of sorceress was the one she killed and where she came from?
I'd like to respectfully reserve comment here. There might be some fun opportunity to explore this in the future. I'd be interested to hear what you guys think/thought she might be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathScribe View Post
(Stupid question, might as well ask)
I wondered can She/It hear the wind, understand it, does the wind whisper secrets?
I had imagined that there may have been a method of communication between Zyra and other plants, although I assumed that would travel through the roots. Is this a reference to something in the lore or in external lore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoNoah View Post
Why does Zyra have only three fingers and a thumb?
Who composes the complete team of Rioters involved in the design, both creative and gameplay, of this floral femme fatale?
Will we ever see any elaboration/continuation of Zyra's lore, in the form of League judgement or otherwise?
- If you're looking at the splash, there are five fingers there, one's just pointed out.
- I'm the Creative Designer, CertainlyT was the final Designer, although Morello, Xypherous, and Coronach all had a piece of Zyra's development (this is beyond the contribution that all designers have to each champion through playtests, etc.).
- I would really to continue her lore, although we don't have any announcements about that at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsOfGrandeur View Post
Did her self-preservation event, at any point, ever inspire a Resurrection ability for her passive?

I really think Rise of the Thorns seems very bland, as if it's missing something epic...
Like a "Revive within their corpse if you kill an enemy champion" sort of thing.
I think the self-preservation event did contribute to the current version of the passive, which is...something of a brief reincarnation.

That's a pretty neat idea for an ability, although I think a lot of work would be needed to balance something like that, and it might detract from the core theme of her kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Toenail View Post
Still waiting for my Varus tattoo picture Skribbles >: /

How does Zyra feel about the trolls? I presume they live within her vicinity, does she have any problems or connections with Trundle? I feel like Trundle is very ignored in in-canon interactions with other characters and it'd be nice to see someone he's met before his days of the league.
I have pinged Art re: tattoos. I don't think Zyra and Trundle have crossed paths (at least prior to the League). We're aware that Trundle has limited interactions and we have been thinking of some ways to tie him in a bit more, hopefully we'll have something for you.

Azrael1453

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-30-2012

So why does she want to join the league? Self preservation - because the League's magic provides a safety net for her now that she has no roots to revive from? Her in-game quotes hint at something more - increasing her power and such (e.g. "none shall escape my grasp" and "no where is safe now that I am free" etc)

Also, another champion relation question - how does Nidalee react to her since she also comes from the Plague jungles?

07-30-2012

1.What are zyras thoughts on rammus , twitch , and fizz ?
2.Did zyra took look of the mage aswell ? it would be nice to see someone familiar looking to zyra that is actually looking for revenge or even reviving this mage from zyra

Redeemed In Fire

07-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skribbles View Post
I'd like to respectfully reserve comment here. There might be some fun opportunity to explore this in the future. I'd be interested to hear what you guys think/thought she might be.
I remember reading a theory which said that the mage Zyra captured was the thornmage that Ryze stole the scroll from, which was interesting to me.

What sort of "power level" does Zyra have naturally? If you consider Nasus had summoners begging for mercy before he agreed to join the league, Maokai rolled face over 6 champions at once, and Annie sits at what is probably closest to "conventional mage" within the League, how would Zyra measure up to each?

KeberYue

07-30-2012

What exactly are Zyra's objectives within the League? How does she views in the current political affairs of Runetera (does she even cares about it)?

Overlord Forte

07-30-2012

Morello mentioned Zyra fulfill some kind of 'infestor' archetype with her general artistic direction. I do not get the impression she is an infestor, as her lore and abilities do not lend themselves to that idea. Her lore specifically is not clear if she took over the wayward human, or ate them then made a human shell to inhabit. Her abilities are in line with your comments of her being a predator/killer/wild fury of nature, but not the infestor idea I was under the impression of receiving.

Do you feel the infestor archetype is what her character is meant to convey, or was it just one of the ways she could be 'interpreted as being'?

DeathScribe

07-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skribbles View Post
I had imagined that there may have been a method of communication between Zyra and other plants, although I assumed that would travel through the roots. Is this a reference to something in the lore or in external lore?
External lore, but I can't pinpoint from where:
The idea that nature is in harmony and that "Ancient Beings" can hear the forests, wind and rivers.
The forest needs the nourishment that come from the rivers and their seed carried by the wind.

--------------
Any planned rivalry for Zyra, both existing or incoming?

Oot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

07-30-2012

Where does she stay now that she is in the League? Does she return to her forest to get summoned, or just wander around the world aimlessly? Or perhaps she is being watched and captive by the League itself?

KeberYue

07-30-2012

How does Zyra reacts to fire element champions like Annie, Shyvana, Ziggs (to an extent) and specially Brand (since both of them are ancient beings with a lot in common in terms of personality and mindset aside from opposite elements)?

Leotamer

07-30-2012

What are hear thoughts on Udyr and Nidelee, two very powerful "hunters", does she like them for being strong, or hate them for drawning their powers from animals?

1234567 ... 9