Noob questions about elo

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ShivaShanti

09-09-2010

Hey all. I'm pretty new to LOL and I've been hearing stuff about elo this and elo hell that - I was just wondering: what exactly is elo? From what I understand it's a number that determines how good you are - how do I check my elo? Does it only apply to ranked games or does it apply to normal games as well? Is elo just raised/lowered based on your win/loss ratio? Is it an acronym for something? Sorry if these questions are answered in an obvious place - I haven't found it yet...

Teryon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-09-2010

ELO is a number that increases as you win matches, but decreases as you lose them. Therefore, in theory, players with more knowledge/skill for the game will have a high ELO number. I believe MM uses this to match you with other players. You can check your ELO for ranked matches, but not for normal games. ELO does not actually stand for anything, it's simply named after the creator of the system, Arpad Elo (1903–1992), a Hungarian-born American physics professor.

Elo was originally invented as an improved chess rating system although it is used in many games today. It is also used as a rating system for competitive multi-player play in a number of computer games, and has been adapted to team sports including international football, American college football and basketball, and Major League Baseball.

ShivaShanti

09-09-2010

Cool - thanks for the speedy response.

Teryon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-09-2010

No problem hope it helps

BraveryBeyond

09-10-2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

Just in case you want more information.

AgentQ

09-10-2010

Also, Elo hell is a phenomena of sorts that occurs when you go on a loss streak and end up in a very low elo with people who... dont really play that well.

The theory is that unless you are an exceptional player you cannot escape Elo hell because your teammates will drag you down/quit/feed ect.

ShivaShanti

09-10-2010

Thanks for the info guys

Leib Olmai

09-10-2010

Just to add. You can't do ranked until level 20. But you better waitlevel 30 or at least until you master the game and a champion more and more.

Everyone begin at 1200.

Arnock

09-10-2010

Might as well ask here and spare a new thread, How exactly does queue dodging affect your Elo? I've seen a lot lately, and I don't really like to think that there's no repercussions for doing this.

colloquial

Emissary of the League

09-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnock View Post
Might as well ask here and spare a new thread, How exactly does queue dodging affect your Elo? I've seen a lot lately, and I don't really like to think that there's no repercussions for doing this.
If you queue dodge a ranked game you automatically lose ~20 Elo.

If you queue dodge a normal game you are locked out from the queue for 5-15 minutes depending on how many times you have dodged. There is no Elo penalty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCalinours View Post
Just to add. You can't do ranked until level 20. But you better waitlevel 30 or at least until you master the game and a champion more and more.
You can do Arranged Team Ranked games at level 20, but for solo queue the required level is 30.