[Help] Veigar, the Tiny Master of Evil

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Darkling2x

11-09-2009

Im just curious how others have been playing Veigar in terms of end game, and item selection.

So far Iv been playing him like a glass cannon, which, while making him own others in group combat, makes him an easy target for 1v1 or ganks.

In terms of items, Iv been using:

Sorcerer's Shoes
Mejai's Soulstealer
Archangel's Staff
Zhonya's Ring
Warmog's Armor

And usually Doran's Ring. (Been trying differnt things)

Was debating picking up an armor item instead of Doran's and try to increase his surivibility. Any comments or suggestions?

Asymptote

Associate Engineer

11-09-2009

I also like some HP so I usually build him something like this:

Tear
Sorce shoes
Rod of Ages x2
Zhonya's
Brilliance Potions

Maybe a Soulstealer instead of another Rod of Ages mid-late game depending on how the game is going.

The rod of ages gives me an adequate amount of HP in addition to the AP I need. I'd just get it right after boots, or as early as possible. The tear also gives me enough mana and I've never had to get the Archangel's. If I'm playing against a very high damage or tanky team then I might opt for a 2nd rod of ages instead of a soulstealer.

Darkling2x

11-09-2009

Thanks. Any other suggestions?

Guess

11-09-2009

Depends on the level of play. If you're unfortunate enough (like me) to solo queue, I would say base it off of your assessment of the opponents by the time you start to buy serious items.

Generally if they have little teamwork, or can't initiate well, I stack heavy AP and just wipe 2-3 heroes out of the fight before event horizon wears off. (Glass Cannon)
Soulstealer, maybe scepter if you have a caster heavy team, zhonya, from there depending on AP, I might get lichbane (yes.)
If you're in a more serious game where survival is necessary, rod of ages early is a good choice, I'd still get a soulstealer by mid-game though.

Tear kind of goes the same way with me... If the opponents are organized, I get tear. Otherwise I ignore it and just pick one of them off every so often to keep mana up.

The only item that I don't really find optimal on veigar is archangel. It's expensive, and for the cost relatively weak. This is of course, if you aren't doing something like 2xRod of Ages, where it would be a great item to have.

anata ga mori

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkling2x View Post
Was debating picking up an armor item instead of Doran's and try to increase his surivibility. Any comments or suggestions?
Only if there's a ton of physical damage being thrown around. Armor on mages generally isn't worth it otherwise.

valiantchamp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2009

veigar is one of my favorite heroes and has been all along,
obviously i have felt his noticeable "squish," but additionally when looking at items i noticed that it is very rare that caster items give much survivability, which leads to the tremendous amounts of RoAs out there imo. There is another very strong item for a caster that provides noticeable health and ap: Rylai's.
I realize its expensive and i dont advocate rushing it, but i find it very nice to have (note: you slow people with event horizon and that small slow makes it much easier to smack people in the face with meteors!)

just a fun siggestion to try out (probably after your first RoA though)

Orpheo

11-10-2009

Veigar should never have survival problems. His anti-trap skill is on a short cooldown.

Keep event horizon off cooldown unless your team is there to finish someone off. There's no chance of killing anyone with a Event->Meteor->Baleful->Primordial combo after level 10 alone. Therfore, you need to keep Event horizon off cooldown to prevent ganks. If someone tries to gank you, lay down an event horizon and walk away from them. If you know the enemy has Flash, try to save your EH for after they blink.

Veigar has 3 nukes, but you still have to play very patiently.

EDIT: Also, the level 3 movement boots are your best survival item. Other casters need lots of AP to dish out the hurt, but Veigar has AP to spare, and taking Sorc shoes is a minor boost compared to the ability to outrun most champs.