@Riot, the two big problems with dom regarding new dom players.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BROSEPHIROTH

07-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperQuackDuck View Post
Heck, they should have a "2x IP when you win while playing draft dominion" day.
This is way more necessary than most people think. HOnestly, I'm not sure why Riot doesn't do a "bounty" on underplayed modes (Draft Dominion, Twisted Treeline, etc) the same way WoW does a Call-to-Arms bounty when there aren't enough tanks or healers. It would go a long way towards keeping some modes alive while costing Riot pretty much nothing.

AbsolutePK

07-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlanKels View Post
One way to help fix the issues would be to have Riot do a Dominion spotlight explaining common strategies, summoner spells, items and champions.
It could also help to explain the concept of sight and true sight as a lot of newer players don't know about the "fog of war" that is in specific areas, whereas true sight is in a few spots and so on and so forth.

I would also highly recommend they check with some of the higher elo players with a script for this "Advanced Dominion Spotlight", have them give feedback on what they feel new players need to know and et cetera.
But that would take effort in learning the current metagame, and it's always subject to change.

SuperQuackDuck

07-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutePK View Post
But that would take effort in learning the current metagame, and it's always subject to change.
That's why its called a metagame. I don't think any of us started when LoL day 1 (maybe some of you) but you learned the meta as you played and adapted as meta changed. We just want people to be interested in learning the metagame as it currently stands, then once they've grasped the current meta, they can learn how it evolves and even contribute to how it changes.

NamKim

07-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlanKels View Post
One way to help fix the issues would be to have Riot do a Dominion spotlight explaining common strategies, summoner spells, items and champions.
It could also help to explain the concept of sight and true sight as a lot of newer players don't know about the "fog of war" that is in specific areas, whereas true sight is in a few spots and so on and so forth.

I would also highly recommend they check with some of the higher elo players with a script for this "Advanced Dominion Spotlight", have them give feedback on what they feel new players need to know and et cetera.
Actually, I thought the same thing yesterday while I was watching the DD tournament.

However, another thought also entered my head. Who says Riot is the only one that has to do a Champion Spotlight? There are no rules stating someone cannot make an fan-made "unofficial" champion spotlight. Yes, it would be a lot of work and some things might change after Dominion is updated. But for Dominion communities, this would be a good way to get some traffic into your sites. Make a YouTube channel specifically meant for Dominion, and post up fan-made Dominion Champion Spotlight. Having people subscribe to this channel would also make it easier to advertise tournaments.

Phreak made the format, we can just make a true Dominion version of it. In fact, being "unofficial" gives us some benefits. We do not have to make one for every champion since we know that some champions are not really viable for Dominion or very low tier. Phreak on the other hand probably has to make every single champion sound viable despite what he actually thinks.

Who knows? The guy making these fan-made spotlights might get a job offering at Riot.

AbsolutePK

07-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamKim View Post
Actually, I thought the same thing yesterday while I was watching the DD tournament.

However, another thought also entered my head. Who says Riot is the only one that has to do a Champion Spotlight? There are no rules stating someone cannot make an fan-made "unofficial" champion spotlight. Yes, it would be a lot of work and some things might change after Dominion is updated. But for Dominion communities, this would be a good way to get some traffic into your sites. Make a YouTube channel specifically meant for Dominion, and post up fan-made Dominion Champion Spotlight. Having people subscribe to this channel would also make it easier to advertise tournaments.

Phreak made the format, we can just make a true Dominion version of it. In fact, being "unofficial" gives us some benefits. We do not have to make one for every champion since we know that some champions are not really viable for Dominion or very low tier. Phreak on the other hand probably has to make every single champion sound viable despite what he actually thinks.

Who knows? The guy making these fan-made spotlights might get a job offering at Riot.
Would be great if someone actually did that, I've been looking around and found this guy doing "alternative" champion spotlights and liked them, since they gave quite a bit deeper information on how some abilities interact with particular champions and such.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6j9V9oLUNg

NamKim

07-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutePK View Post
Would be great if someone actually did that, I've been looking around and found this guy doing "alternative" champion spotlights and liked them, since they gave quite a bit deeper information on how some abilities interact with particular champions and such.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6j9V9oLUNg
I like them. Definitely worth looking into some of this other spotlights. Sure, they lack the fancy effects of Phreak's but effects can be overlooked if the core content is better.

Although, if someone does a Dominion spotlight, I would not mind if it was as in-depth as Phreak's. I just want there to be one for people (and me...mostly me) to benefit from them. So, even a short "just the surface" guide is fine with me. I would do it myself...but my skills to do this is low. My Dominion skill is low and my skills with technology is also low...

Sucks when you have a good idea but lack the skills to make it work. Might have been a good way to advertise Dominion and get some referrals Hey, I am greedy, what can I say?

Edit: Plus, it was be pretty awesome if you convince players to join for Dominion and figure out Classic after they join up. Ironic too since most people join Classic and then play Dominion.

ShawNuff

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-29-2012

ghost > revive if you never die huehuehue