@Riot, the two big problems with dom regarding new dom players.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DaRatmastah

07-29-2012

DaRatmastah: wow
DaRatmastah: three of the four people on my team
DaRatmastah: have less than five dominion wins
DaRatmastah: x__x
summoner: and your on the bottom?
DaRatmastah: I have 315. how I get paired with that?
DaRatmastah: score means nothing on dom
summoner: lol
DaRatmastah: it's based on a flawed set of metrics
DaRatmastah: and encourages poor play
DaRatmastah: for instance: a well played bot is the cornerstone of a team
summoner: false
DaRatmastah: but will always be last place
DaRatmastah: due to lack of cap opportunities vs top/roaming
summoner: or going for kills instead of capping

The flawed score system leads people to play poorly and make bad decisions. Because of lack of guided introduction the the game mode, people come into dominion having no idea how to play it strategically, and very often when I try to offer advice in-game, I'm disregarded because the person who needs the advice is in first place, and thinks that justifies their actions(even if we're losing).

Also, matchmaking. I had three people on my team, and they had 3, 3, and 4 wins. I have 315. My fiancee, who I was playing with, has 50. The opposing team was all over 25, one was over 50, one was over 200, and one was over 300. I realize win/loss rations play in here but even if my 4 win person had 4 wins and no losses, they still haven't played anywhere near enough game in dom to begin to actually understand the game mode.

Can we please maybe work on this? Dominion tutorial or guide in game or on the site, at least? There's one for the tower defense style of SR and TT, why can't we have one for cap and hold? You need some way to communicate basic strategy to the people that do not come onto the LoL site, something in-client, and the point system is failing miserably.

TL;DR: Point system still sucks. Matchmaking needs work. Riot still doesn't take us seriously, and I don't know why I've wasted my time typing all this.

konfetarius

07-29-2012

The real problem is Riot's endorsement of "everyone get ghost!" via co-op vs. ai games.

NamKim

07-29-2012

I had problems going into Dominion as well.

-You naturally think Ghost is the best summoner spell on Dominion due to its speed boost
-You think Revive is a terrible summoner spell since that is What Classic players taught us
-Point system encourages bad play (what you said)
-Lack of players means inbalanced teams
-Lack of players means lower opportunity to practice
-Summoner's Rift is a 5k while Dominion is the 400m dash. It is hard to argue which one is harder since while they are still running, they require different sets of skills. But you cannot run a 400m dash like a 5k since you would naturally be last place since you paced yourself too slow. Nor can you run a 5k like a 400m dash since you would tire yourself way too early to do actually do well.

To be honest, it was not until I read Sauron's guide and started watching the DD tournaments where I realized exactly how much I sucked. Now, I am trying to play more strategically. Although, items builds is something I still have trouble with since the builds I use for Summoner's Rift does not transfer well to Dominion...

Redeemed In Fire

07-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamKim View Post
-You naturally think Ghost is the best summoner spell on Dominion due to its speed boost
Hey D: I still run ghost because revive is meh to me when I forget to use it ;p

NamKim

07-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIX View Post
Hey D: I still run ghost because revive is meh to me when I forget to use it ;p
I am not saying it is a bad summoner spell. I apologize since I probably worded it in a confusing way.

It is kind of like we all feel like heal is the best summoner spell on Summoner's Rift when we first started off. It is not until we read guides or start experimenting where we realize that a there are better summoner spells for your champion/style of play. If you are aggressive, exhaust or ignite might be better spells for you. We later learn that Flash is an almost necessary spell to take. Although, some players learned that they are better off taking another spell over flash. That is like you. Where you feel that Ghost is a better spell take than Revive because it suits you better.

I do not like it when people naturally assume some spells are bad just because others say so. Such as, I refused to call Pre-buffed Evelynn a bad champion because I never played her. I refuse to call something I never got to try out myself bad. I refused to believe Promote is a bad summoner spell until I took it to several games and tested it out.

Did that make more sense?

WaterD103

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-29-2012

Score system encourage bad play.

aToasterStrudel

07-29-2012

I don't mind the score system too much. The main gripe I have with it is that "martyr" needs to go.

Redeemed In Fire

07-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamKim View Post
I am not saying it is a bad summoner spell. I apologize since I probably worded it in a confusing way.

It is kind of like we all feel like heal is the best summoner spell on Summoner's Rift when we first started off. It is not until we read guides or start experimenting where we realize that a there are better summoner spells for your champion/style of play. If you are aggressive, exhaust or ignite might be better spells for you. We later learn that Flash is an almost necessary spell to take. Although, some players learned that they are better off taking another spell over flash. That is like you. Where you feel that Ghost is a better spell take than Revive because it suits you better.

I do not like it when people naturally assume some spells are bad just because others say so. Such as, I refused to call Pre-buffed Evelynn a bad champion because I never played her. I refuse to call something I never got to try out myself bad. I refused to believe Promote is a bad summoner spell until I took it to several games and tested it out.

Did that make more sense?
Much better And good philosophy +1

ArlanKels

07-29-2012

One way to help fix the issues would be to have Riot do a Dominion spotlight explaining common strategies, summoner spells, items and champions.
It could also help to explain the concept of sight and true sight as a lot of newer players don't know about the "fog of war" that is in specific areas, whereas true sight is in a few spots and so on and so forth.

I would also highly recommend they check with some of the higher elo players with a script for this "Advanced Dominion Spotlight", have them give feedback on what they feel new players need to know and et cetera.

SuperQuackDuck

07-29-2012

I don't use scores as a metric of my influence in a game terribly much. and most dominion veterans know that. though if your bot is top in score, your top team is really really bad.

It's pretty difficult to measure how well you've done at bot because:
1) I'm not sure if minion neutralizing towers count for points;
2) Even if you pull a few enemies to bot, you could be either an easy gank or they simply need to reinforce;
3) Overall flow of the game is hard to measure and quantify.

It's up to the rest of your team to respond to how you're doing at bot. You could be doing very well, pushed to enemy tower and get 3 man ganked while your team sits at top tower twiddling their thumbs after you've pinged 30 times for them to reinforce bot. And your score will never reflect how well you've done.

But for the most part I don't look at scores and even when I look at k/d ratios I take the champ's role in the team into account. It might be a good idea to do away with the scores altogether. Nobody who plays dominion regularly really cares about the scores.

I think dominion's real problem is that riot doesnt encourage enough people to play it. Most people treat it like a fun diversion away from the 45 min drool-inducing farmfest they call SR. Since people have started to make ARAM, the allure of dominion for people of that mindset has gone towards that pokefest. Riot needs to announce to all of its players that dominion isn't just something you play when you only have 30 minutes to play. It's a game mode on par or better than SR.

Heck, they should have a "2x IP when you win while playing draft dominion" day.