[Suggestion] Team Builder for Ranked

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS13cfe67f8d83c195eaea1

11-08-2013

Hi all,

I've recently read that Lyte wrote:
"... We're well-aware and agree that Team Builder in its current form is not a good fit for Ranked, which is why if we do anything similar for Ranked, it'll probably look like a completely different feature. For example, part of the strategy and fun of Ranked is counterpicking and drafting and right now, Team Builder doesn't support those things."

I am a low level player, I admit that, and there is a reason why ELO HELL is called like that: It feels like a nightmare to be there. There are plenty of games with trolls or with Instalockers and other newbies like me may be stuck in roles they hate or don't dominate enough.

-Improve! - you may say. Ok, I'm on my way just let us have less reasons to not focus on the game and we'll all be better

My suggestion is to do a kind of Team Builder that works in two ways:
- When you queue (Solo or Duo) you specify the position/s you'd like to play: Top, Supp.. or even all of them.
- When you enter the Picks and Bans, you can see the positions eveyone else asked for. This way, there is no reason to get people that "I cannot Supp" or "I can't Mid" forced to play a specific role.

Saving comparisions, it could be similar to the Dungeon Builder that WoW has that let's you find the specific roles you need to complete your party. It may also include a feature to discuss and agree on roles before going to picks and bans.

Trolls can be everywhere, it happens, but at least you have a base from where to start building a team with strangers in the first few seconds.

I'm also well aware that this doesn't happen in higher levels, where eveyone addapts and thinks in terms of Team, but I think that we need to solve the lower levels of play as, in fact, it's where the majority of the people are. The best gaming experience we have, the more we'll want to play.

Finally, just in case this may be taken into account (hope so), I state that hereby I give this idea freely and renounce to kind of compensation for its applications and its further evolutions it may have.

Thanks for your time and attention.

SirLANsalot

11-08-2013

My thoughts EXACTLY!

Allow people to que as the ROLE they want, then do Bans and then they can pick champs.

I would take it one step further and allow people to pick the champs only associated with that role. This puts a hamper even more on trolls, since they couldn't pick an ADC when they chose to que as a support (to get a faster que).

SirLANsalot

11-08-2013

bump, because I like this idea

D4nny

11-09-2013

People would then easily be able to choose a champion outside of their position. It would be no different than normal queue and as hard as it may seem, you cannot control where other people move to once you are in-game.

I personally do not like the idea, but I don't speak for everyone, so good luck.

Spectrophobia

03-10-2014

It is very simple, you allow them to only be able to chose the spec. roll type champions( Mage, Marksman, Assassin, Fighter, Tank)after the ban.

NA Misty

03-11-2014

That's cool, this was what I concluded with my own thoughts as well.

In any case... if you limited a position to only a few roles, it could still be abused. Mage would most likely have to be available to Support, but an abuser could choose Support, then pick a Mage and demand Mid. Also there might be issues about unconventional strategies. Maybe that kind of thing could be a separate option somehow? Not sure.

I'll offer one potential solution or aid. Let the other teammates report the abuser for exploiting the system. If they get enough reports they get banned for a time. Each time the ban gets longer.

Oh, or take screens of your one game with them to get them warned/banned faster

ShaDoWAsunder

03-11-2014

It would also be ideal for something that recently happened to me which added on to me getting demoted. A player accepted to get into the champion selection screen then he ether afk'd for something or went on Youtube etc. When the client pop'd up for his champion pick, he locked in nocturn jungle with out even checking if someone else was jungle. Then he tried to take my support role because he did not pay attention to me being support. So he took mid at the last second without communicating because the team was trying to force me mid as I had a hybrid champion. The worse part was him and the first pick jungler were Duo. If you could choose your role in ranked, not only do you have a chance of playing better, but its harder for a player to seriously mess up champion select which I see often in silver.

ShaDoWAsunder

03-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarashu View Post
Oh, or take screens of your one game with them to get them warned/banned faster
They won't get banned. You have to use the tribunal. I have done screen caps, imgur, videos and followed up with tickets of my proof. The staff did not do anything (at least the ones that replied to me) and said you have to use the tribunal for an efficient way of banning/reporting.
This was mostly in ranked from toxic players before they even picked a champion, or in game when they lost lane and they just want someone to blame because they are better than you. They must be crazy thinking I am going to stay in a lobby with 1-4 trashing talking/flamming players in champion select and risk lossing the match just to report a player.

YaoMingnion

03-26-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrophobia View Post
It is very simple, you allow them to only be able to chose the spec. roll type champions( Mage, Marksman, Assassin, Fighter, Tank)after the ban.
The problem with that is, some people play champions for different roles. If people are restricted to picking a champion which is "suited" for that role, it removes new experimental plays and takes away choice and creativity from the overall game.

CJ Blaze Emperor

03-27-2014

I have to agree with most of what's been said here. I was lucky enough to get this, a new account, in to Gold right away, but my other accounts are spread out over Silver (and one in Bronze that just got placed yesterday, support too hard man lol).

I think the easiest thing to do with Team Builder for ranked would be simply make it so that you can queue up & choose your role that you wanna play. That's it. Then queue starts, you get matchmade with a team that isn't going to steal your lane, and then bans followed by champion select goes down. This way, bans, and the potential for counterpicks and/or swaps of champions to deny counter picks, can go on as planned, but the roles are preserved. Granted this wouldn't stop trolls completely, but it'd make it easier for someone learning support in a ranked environment to not have someone first pick want support when they're last pick, for example, or the same goes for someone getting in to Jungling, or top.

I really think that's a simple, easy, precise way to make ranked MUCH less of a hassle. Everyone gets the role they want and champion select NEVER starts off with arguing again. The fact that Riot hasn't already thought about and implemented this exact strategy frankly has me a bit surprised, since it would get rid of about 50% of the negative behavior pre-game & during game, if there were no arguments over roles etc.