Has Riot given a SINGLE thought to their F2P sytem?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

tailsmph

07-30-2012

This is goin get ignored real fast

Vellithe

07-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by aCrAzYmAnWAlking View Post
What do you have to say about Valve and S2? They give you all heroes for free, even though they make a lot less money than Riot, even if we don't take into account the money Riot makes from champions...For buying 25 6300 IP champions in LoL you have to play for 2 years...It's not that fun obviously, unless you spend money even if you do to buy 10 more champions, not all of them...
I have no idea about S2. But Valve is taking a bet for a different direction.
Valve will allow players to design content and then they will sell this content for money. Plus the things they made themselves are very expensive, if I remember it correctly.

It's a bet and it's risky, but it might just work as well, or even better, than the way Riot is doing.

They all seek to make the maximum amount of profit, it's just that the other companies are going in different directions with different plans.

Skwid1g

07-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xianio View Post
That's because anything not required is ALWAYS going to cost a silly amount of money in a F2P system.

That's the nature of it. Honestly though this is the best implementation of the F2P system I've ever seen. Content constantly comes out, nothing is required and it's literally impossible to pay for power. All paying customers are grouped with non-paying customers and you can always pay as much or as little as you want.

It doesn't get better than this. The OP doesn't understand the F2P system and rails against the "costs" of things which are free and -only- provide convience. As a business model it's fantastic.

The only people who -hate- this style of system are completionist. The people who must have "everything" get completely taken for a ride. But hey, if you're that type you've got a problem.

Be all end all - this is the best F2P I've ever seen in both actual gameplay and implementation. /end rant
...? You can't buy power? What are rune-pages, what are champions, what are ip boosts? Anyone that really believes that is retarded.

There is no reason to disallow the ability to change runepages in champion select, it's literally completely to **** the customer into paying a ridiculous price for rune pages.

Ashley R0se

07-30-2012

I don't see how Riot can justify making EVERY new champion for 6300.

Like, if I was Riot, the first thing I'd think of would be, "Hey, wait a minute. If we make all our new champions cost 6300 IP and never reduce the price on the older ones (or the ones that need tweaking).. Then, soon, the ratio of incredibly expensive and hard-to-obtain champions to cheap ones will be about 9:1. I know we want to make money, guys, but that's a bit over-the-top. Maybe we should reduce the prices of older 6300 champions as we release newer ones. Or maybe we could just reestablish the old IP Gain system, since it wasn't costing us money for people to be able to earn IP a little faster than molasses."

Seems like common sense to me, and I thought I was underqualified.

maxicus

07-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwid1g View Post
...? You can't buy power? What are rune-pages, what are champions, what are ip boosts? Anyone that really believes that is retarded.

There is no reason to disallow the ability to change runepages in champion select, it's literally completely to **** the customer into paying a ridiculous price for rune pages.
i wouldn't call rune pages power. they bump stats a bit but not by much.
champions are not power either.
IP boosts again really isn't power.

No it is logical. none of those things will really give you a massive advantage over someone else.

rune pages are free. they don't cost you anything.

Quote:

Like, if I was Riot, the first thing I'd think of would be, "Hey, wait a minute. If we make all our new champions cost 6300 IP and never reduce the price on the older ones (or the ones that need tweaking).. Then, soon, the ratio of incredibly expensive and hard-to-obtain champions to cheap ones will be about 9:1. I know we want to make money, guys, but that's a bit over-the-top. Maybe we should reduce the prices of older 6300 champions as we release newer ones. Or maybe we could just reestablish the old IP Gain system, since it wasn't costing us money for people to be able to earn IP a little faster than molasses."

they can because well they are the company and have decided that they can cost that much.

they have lowered the price both IP and RP on other champs numerous times. so i am not sure what people are talking about when they say they don't.

the new system will get more IP the longer you play. if you play 20 minute games you are not going to get the same IP results. this stops people from IP farming and getting more ip than people that play 30 or 40 minutes games.

you are under qualified.

aCrAzYmAnWAlking

07-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vellithe View Post
I have no idea about S2. But Valve is taking a bet for a different direction.
Valve will allow players to design content and then they will sell this content for money. Plus the things they made themselves are very expensive, if I remember it correctly.

It's a bet and it's risky, but it might just work as well, or even better, than the way Riot is doing.

They all seek to make the maximum amount of profit, it's just that the other companies are going in different directions with different plans.
Of course it's risky, but everyone must realise that Riot makes and will continue to make more money than Valve, even if we don't take into account the money they make from champions...We pay for skins, and people will continue to buy skins because they just like them, we pay for rune pages because whatever people think, they DO give you power...

Lagginator

07-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley R0se View Post

You would be right if they weren't still making gobs of money with this model. I'm sure that if this concern you have for their ability to make profit was in any way real, they would do something about it. Riot isn't just going to lower the cost of things to be nice, they're a business. They want to make money.

HonomonMan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by vox1st View Post
also add in that legacy legendaries had no price reduction, defeating the point of legacy.
price reductions would defeat the purpose of being legacy

Dark Amumu Bot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-30-2012

I mean, you don't have to buy skins.

I don't know...I guess I'm not so sympathetic because I own everyone so the problems you listed literally don't apply to me.

Downvoted by poor kids I guess.

aCrAzYmAnWAlking

07-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxicus View Post
i wouldn't call rune pages power. they bump stats a bit but not by much.
champions are not power either.
IP boosts again really isn't power.

No it is logical. none of those things will really give you a massive advantage over someone else.

rune pages are free. they don't cost you anything.
Ok let's sa you're right about the champions.You can buy them for free.Let's say everyone can agree with that (although most people don't and shouldn't agree).Let's say you're right about 450 IP champions being better than 6300.Although nobody should agree (well it could happen in some cases actually, but not in many), because there is a reason they are called tier one champions and this happened to you while playing against noobs probably, or because you got one of those rare cases, let's say everybody agrees with that. But nobody, NOBODY should agree that runes don't give you power and you should have only 3 rune pages: AP,AD and another one you mentioned. What is that +34 armor in a standard Malphite rune page?Isn't it power?What is that +10 arpen in a standard harassing ad carry rune page?Isn't it power?What is that riddiculous +38 AP (combined with the +1,5% ap mastery)?Isn't it power (at least early game power)?What is that +15 ad in a standard last hitting ad rune page?Isn't it power?What is that +5 gold each second in a support rune page?Power of course...Plus a sight ward each 15 seconds...Everybody should have a lot of rune pages because they DO give you power.

Why should a casual player who would only play LoL when he has the time to, is forced to put money if he wants to have fun, because the main content which SHOULD be free in a f2p game (champions) isn't free?He dosn't have the time to collect IP.Why is he forced to put money???He shoudn't be.He should be able to play ar champions for free, or at least get a good chunk of champions with 25 dollars.