Has Riot given a SINGLE thought to their F2P sytem?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xianio

07-28-2012

Quote:
We've been getting token price reductions on some things but other things (like the OP said, rune pages), are ridiculously expensive.
That's because anything not required is ALWAYS going to cost a silly amount of money in a F2P system.

That's the nature of it. Honestly though this is the best implementation of the F2P system I've ever seen. Content constantly comes out, nothing is required and it's literally impossible to pay for power. All paying customers are grouped with non-paying customers and you can always pay as much or as little as you want.

It doesn't get better than this. The OP doesn't understand the F2P system and rails against the "costs" of things which are free and -only- provide convience. As a business model it's fantastic.

The only people who -hate- this style of system are completionist. The people who must have "everything" get completely taken for a ride. But hey, if you're that type you've got a problem.

Be all end all - this is the best F2P I've ever seen in both actual gameplay and implementation. /end rant

crusader050

07-28-2012

Also, Riot is constantly making changes to old champions. And even reworks. Don't say Riot doesn't care about old champions without actually reading patch notes or following red threads on the forums.

420SWAGPOLICE

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-28-2012

I stopped buying RP over 6 months ago, Infact, I should have never bought any.

**** this company, the only reason I play it is because my friends are too casual for Dota or HoN

crazyknives222

07-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFailBus View Post
You mean Valve gets to make money off your items. It's cunning, I know, but really it's just a way of tying all moddable content into creating revenue for Valve. Why pay animators and artists when you can get your schmuck community to do it for you?
Uh, you're forgetting the huge fact that it makes the average player and active community member have a real, physical impact on the game. Right now, you don't get to change LoL. You get dealt what Riot gives you as their own creations. Valve's purpose in allowing you to use the steam workshop to create items for the game is such that if you want a specific item, you no longer have to spend time making threads about it or begging Valve to make it. You can make it yourself, and have it added. How is this feature not amazing and significantly better than what Riot is offering?

EDIT: "Schmuck community"? Oh right, you must enjoy the abundant sycophantic, whiteknight, Riot fanboyism that runs rampantly unchecked in this community.

VeRisiMiLaR

07-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSp1cyWeener View Post
INFINITE LIGHT 4 LYF >=[
Fixed

Xianio

07-28-2012

Quote:
HoN:
- $10 for every hero during their 100th hero anniversary
- Huge sales & gifting purchases during Christmas
- An opportunity to receive a bunch of free skins for just playing the game
- Actual price revisions to make things cheaper
LoL:
- Just enough RP to not be able to buy anything worthwhile for Christmas
- A 33% IP Weekend for 3 million Likes that they were forced to change to Double because of blatant greediness
- A 10-game IP Boost for days of server issues while overcompensating a very small percent of the players
- No RP price revisions whatsoever
I forgot to touch on this.

What you're comparing is a -failing- game and one that's ridiculously successful. HoN gives great deals for the same reason Riot gave great deals when it started. They're desperately trying to attract customers and bring in revenue. Don't kid yourself into think that LoL is "to cheap" while HoN is "in it for the gamers" or whatever.

HoN is in full sales mode and just like any subpar product the only way to compete is to have lower prices and better deals.

LoL doesn't need to or even want to sell more. With LoL the skin system only works if not everyone has the skin. Unchained Alistar or Riot Tristana are seen constantly and really not that special. Other skins are. The exclusivity of skins ups their value increasing the desire to buy them.

So you know... it's basic business stuff. LoL doesn't really have competition. Maybe Dota 2 will eventually create some but LoL right now is in a league completely of its own. When you're in the top spot you -set- the bar, you don't bend for what the clearly destroyed competition does.

Volski

07-28-2012

League of Legends is freemium.

crazyknives222

07-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xianio View Post
I forgot to touch on this.

What you're comparing is a -failing- game and one that's ridiculously successful. HoN gives great deals for the same reason Riot gave great deals when it started. They're desperately trying to attract customers and bring in revenue. Don't kid yourself into think that LoL is "to cheap" while HoN is "in it for the gamers" or whatever.

HoN is in full sales mode and just like any subpar product the only way to compete is to have lower prices and better deals.

LoL doesn't need to or even want to sell more. With LoL the skin system only works if not everyone has the skin. Unchained Alistar or Riot Tristana are seen constantly and really not that special. Other skins are. The exclusivity of skins ups their value increasing the desire to buy them.

So you know... it's basic business stuff. LoL doesn't really have competition. Maybe Dota 2 will eventually create some but LoL right now is in a league completely of its own. When you're in the top spot you -set- the bar, you don't bend for what the clearly destroyed competition does.
I'm going to go ahead and say that you've never even played Dota2. Keep in mind, Dota2 is still in beta. Pretty sure it has more sales in beta than LoL did. "...clearly destroyed competition", cleverly disguised fanboyism at its finest.

Aegrotat

07-28-2012

Thank you for making a long post that I actually wanted to read through, it's actually really nice to see something so well thought out.

I'd have to agree. You can also look at the few champs they have lowered the cost of in terms of IP, and realize they still left the RP value of said champs untouched. Not to mention the RP "Scaling" Can be a tad random, how some 3150 champs still cost as much as a 6300 in terms of RP. How exactly does that work...?

Xianio

07-28-2012

Quote:
I'm going to go ahead and say that you've never even played Dota2. Keep in mind, Dota2 is still in beta. Pretty sure it has more sales in beta than LoL did. "...clearly destroyed competition", cleverly disguised fanboyism at its finest.
Where did I make an incorrect claim? I didn't talk about the quality of any of the games actually gameplay. Whether you like it or not LoL is completely destroying the competition when it comes to playerbase and revenue. Are they beating all of Valve, obviously not but they're definitely beating Dota2 in revenue generation.

You can look it up if you want - LoL is the biggest game in the world at this time.

You can wave your hands all you want about how this game sucks, Dota2 is the best but that really doesn't matter to me. I'm talking about business - your talking about gameplay. If anyones being the "fanboy" its you bud.