Has Riot given a SINGLE thought to their F2P sytem?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Captain Jack32

07-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maku View Post
Yeah, it gives you FREE ITEMS, like chests which require you to purchase a key from their cash shop.

Give us your money and you can have whatever's in this mystery box!
What's wrong with an idiot tax if it doesn't affect the actual game in any way?

kl3rk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jack32 View Post
What's wrong with an idiot tax if it doesn't affect the actual game in any way?
no one said there was anything wrong with it...

He was pointing out how "free" these items were

Captain Jack32

07-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kl3rk View Post
no one said there was anything wrong with it...

He was pointing out how "free" these items were
Ahh, well yeah you do find a bunch of chests that you need to spend money on, but about every fourth time you find something it will be a completely free of charge cosmetic item. It's not all crates all the time.

Primetime Ziggs

Master Recruiter

07-28-2012

I kind of feel that HoN's more recent tactics have been more for desperation than for money, but I definitely get what you're saying.

I remember when I played a lot of HoN and bought basically the entirety of the champion roster for a mere 10 bucks during Christmas. That was awesome. I eventually left simply because the community there is even more cringe-worthy than they are here, but still. Roitpls.

Deatsu

07-28-2012

As a 3 year old casual player of LoL I'm very sad with the system nowadays. 3 years ago I had lots of times to put into the game, and almost got enough heroes at a given time (there were not even 65 or 70 heroes), but Now I'm just missing like all the 6.3k heroes, including a few that I want to try/buy but It's rare to even see them on free week.

DoTA2 F2P system is awesome, I barely played it yet (just a dozen of hours, and I still suck...) and I would never switch from LoL to Dota2, but it's so hard to keep going with the IP system on LoL. I cant find myself buying RP for champs, only for skins, I cant never buy for something in U$ that I can buy for ingame currency (except for some rare cases, TF2 hats by an example).

Upvoted OP.

Mantaray95

07-28-2012

Well HoN is just a better version of Dota and Dota 2 is better version of HoN and Dota, so of course they're trying to make people stay, Dota 2 will kill HoN. That's a widely accepted concept.

Nirc

07-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiu View Post
This is a thread started by someone with a self serving agenda. This guy either doesnt have enough money to buy the things he wants or have the time to grind the things he wants.

Get a better job.

Profit.
Ad hominem. You didn't address any of the arguments.

Quote:
I have 1000+ games and own almost all the champs... I earned them all and I didnt mind. Been playing since beta, and now that I own almost everything I actually wish there were more runes/champs/other that I could buy with my IP.

Noobs want everything handed to them, people sit and play WoW for hundred of hours upon hours just to be able to play their Battlegrounds at top level. I dotn see LoL's Ip grind as any different and, it takes less time. If you just STFU and play the game you will have everything for free.

The only thing I agree with in your post is that Rune pages are too expensive. Everything else should be earned...
The fact that it took you that long to get every possible option in a competitive game is counter-productive to a competitive game. Do you not see that? A competitive game is stripped of some of its merit when players are not offered every option for competitive play. There is absolutely no reason champions should be not be free, other than getting money from players, which I'm sure they already get a ton through skins and other sources. All it does is decrease the competitive merit of the game.

Optimus Binx

07-28-2012

Maybe all champs could be unlocked in ranked after a certain experience level or something.

Deatsu

07-28-2012

Quote:
I have 1000+ games and own almost all the champs... I earned them all and I didnt mind. Been playing since beta, and now that I own almost everything I actually wish there were more runes/champs/other that I could buy with my IP.

Noobs want everything handed to them, people sit and play WoW for hundred of hours upon hours just to be able to play their Battlegrounds at top level. I dotn see LoL's Ip grind as any different and, it takes less time. If you just STFU and play the game you will have everything for free.

The only thing I agree with in your post is that Rune pages are too expensive. Everything else should be earned...
Fake and gay. I have more than 2000 games and I still miss the majority of 6.3k heroes. And I just have 2 fully functional (not anymore bicoz of the new masteries) rune pages.

Also, WoW grind have nothing to do with LoL grind. Dont mix different genres and playstyles please.

QuincyShadow

07-28-2012

The skin sales are in fact very generous. While some of you may disagree, these sales are great.

In terms of champion pricing, I think they could be a bit cheaper. The 4800 IP trend was nice. What you do have to realize is that even if you owned every champion in the game, you are only going to play a certain number of them. So smart buyers will get more out of the system. Basically any time you impulse buy a champion, you feel pretty bad. You have to be smart about it.

But every new champion being 6300 is just a bit too much. I like to support RIOT through skins, making champion purchases by RP necessary takes away from the opportunity to buy more skins. More price reductions or non-6300 releases would be nice.

EDIT: The cost to play for a new player is in fact over the top. If you make a new account, you have to buy
-Rune pages
-Runes
-Champions
-Skins (optional)

The overhead cost of all this is too much, I think. But once you have played for a while with 10 rune pages, any rune set you want, most champions you want, you tend to forget.