Let's Mathcraft!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mogri

09-09-2010

Dear Mathcraft,

What is the absolute most powerful DPS item build?

- Dr. Mundo

Good question. The answer depends: do you want sustained DPS or large bursty attacks? I've gone ahead and put your level 18 stats into a script which will tell us the answer.

http://www.slimesalad.com/files/mathcraft.php

If you have unlimited gold as Dr. Mundo and want to max your DPS, you should get IE, Bloodrazor, Phantom Dancer, Youmuu's, and a maxed SotO. Don't forget to use the active on Youmuu's!

But wait! There's more! You can use that same script with your own champion's stats, a theoretical enemy's stats, and even tell it how much money you have to spend.

Let's take an example. Teemo at level 18, played by a pretty awful player -- he dies too often to take advantage of Bloodthirster or SotO and he never remembers to use his items' active abilities. Since he's so terribad, he's only made 5000 gold all game. What should he get?

http://www.slimesalad.com/files/math...ive=yes&g=5000

Last Whisper, Wit's End, and Cloak of Agility. (The enemy is assumed to have mana.)

Surprises: Sword of the Divine is an incredible item for sustained DPS. With its active, you gain 30 armor penetration! That makes it a good pick even against non-Jax champions. Youmuu's is also really good (even if you forget to use its active!) for the same reason. Both items cost under 3000 gold.

Pre-emptively Answered Questions (PAQ)
Q. How do I plug in my own stats?
A. The keys are in [brackets]. Provide your own values as in the Teemo example.

Q. Why does my HP matter?
A. Atma's.

Q. Why does it only build 5 items?
A. Boots. (You can specify a different number of items, though!)

Q. Couldn't I get Berserker's Greaves for my boots and skip one of the AS items?
A. Yes, but you shouldn't.

Q. So should I use these builds as the DPS Bible?
A. If you don't mind being incredibly squishy, sure. But play around with your enemy's parameters so you can adjust your build. One size does not fit all.

Q. Why is the single hit damage lower than the itemized attack damage in the sustained build?
A. Armor.

Q. Why is it recommending Brawler's Gloves?
A. The script will try to spend all the money you give it. If it's got some money left over after the big items, it'll sneak in some gloves or a dagger. In practice, you're better off getting an Elixir. The script doesn't include elixirs.

Q. Does the script take my champion's passive into account?
A. No. Sorry about that, Rammus, Kog, Twitch, Teemo, et al.

Q. Does the script take applied debuffs into account?
A. Yes. But as you'll notice, Malady still isn't worthwhile, and Black Cleaver only rarely makes a top spot. This is for 1v1s only. In a real game, your off-carry can help tremendously by carrying a Stark's and a Black Cleaver! Auras will make a big difference in teamfights, but they don't perform as efficiently in this format.

Q. What do the plus signs mean?
A. Multiple copies of an item in a single build.

Tieryal

09-09-2010

sexi

Isn't working for me.

Mogri

09-09-2010

Still works for me.

It takes a few seconds to load because of the calculations involved. Try giving it more time.

Silverdevilboy

09-09-2010

Errr, unless I've missed something, you're under the impression that the +% of Aspd is off your base Aspd. It's not, you gain Aspd per level, and that gain isn't increased by items. Sad, but true. Your base aspd for item purposes will be .5-.7

Mogri

09-09-2010

You are correct, I am under that impression. You're probably right, but let me verify it in-game.

FortuitusFortune

Master Recruiter

09-09-2010

I think this thread would be more productive if it were methcraft.

Mogri

09-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverdevilboy View Post
Errr, unless I've missed something, you're under the impression that the +% of Aspd is off your base Aspd. It's not, you gain Aspd per level, and that gain isn't increased by items. Sad, but true. Your base aspd for item purposes will be .5-.7
Thanks, I've updated the script and added a new parameter. The resulting attack speeds are a bit lower, but the item builds look largely unaffected.

reaver99

09-09-2010

I never seem to get bloodrazor, no matter how much hp I give the enemy. Is the 4% taken into account?

Eph289

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-09-2010

Dear Mathcraft,

I'm tired of Garen lighting himself on fire, claiming that 3 or 4 Sunfire Capes is the latest fashion statement, and yelling DEMACIAAAA!!! all over the map while my arrows bounce off him.

What is the best combination of items to shred his armor, assuming he's got over 2.5 K health, over 180 armor, at least 100 MR. We'll also say my summoner has a brain and packs 20 ArPen from runes and masteries for me and that I also already have an Infinity Edge. Is Madred's Bloodrazor ever a useful item for me or should I go for a Ghostblade/Last Whisper/Cleaver?

-Ashe

Mogri

09-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaver99 View Post
I never seem to get bloodrazor, no matter how much hp I give the enemy. Is the 4% taken into account?
It was, but I had mistakenly changed it to 0.04%. Verizon Math FTW. Should be fixed now.