Supporting through the hell

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

trackmaster

07-28-2012

So about 2 weeks ago i dropped under 1000 elo and decided its time to climb back up. Now I realize 1200 isn't out of "elo hell", but its back to even so I consider it a milestone. So what was the key?

Well in my fall over the last few months from 1150 to 990 I tried playing a wide range of champs and roles, then I looked at my win rates with those champs. Some were pretty bad like 0/7 Janna, 0/2 Alistar, 37% jungle mundo, 40% soraka ect. Some were good: 67% support Zil and 70% Karthus. So I played a lot of Karthus and a new champ, Sona. I pretty much just took Sona straight to ranked as a main support so I lost an early game or two.

Now I've been winning about 70-80% of my games in this climb consistently. The best part is I'm using Sona as my first choice now. That's right 70-80% as a support. I don't have to carry my team, I just play well and we win. I ward well so bot rarely gets ganked bad. I can harass and heal. I let my jungler know about wards and pink theirs. Their carry screws up by hanging around with <200 hp pre-6 and I flash q and power cord them for a kill. After we take turret I ward the map for my team and buy good team items. Then I land a good ult in teamfights and spam spells and power cords. I don't have to lead to my team besides the occasional ping and hint. I win now more than when I played Viegar and started 4/0.

A second thing I've noted for when I play mid is that if I go in looking to win lane I often lose. However, when I get counter picked I sit back and farm and let them make the mistakes. Then I usually win. The mindset is to survive, farm and not screw up.

TLR Read the whole thing if you want to understand, but play what you do well and you win.

AlphariusRising

07-28-2012

And then your Tristana W's into their tower and gets stunned, your mid runs bot to help you and gets caught on the way back, and your Gangplank just bought him and doesn't know that his ult is Global.

trackmaster

07-28-2012

lol GP fail. Yeah that happens every now and then, ergo I lose some. At this level there is enough bad play that good play is very rewarded.

The Gingerbread Man

07-29-2012

Same thing happened with me and Soraka. I have more consistent wins as support than anything else. xP Wards ftw. I'm at 1370 curremtly.

Ahri Rox

07-29-2012

At first I hated support and felt it wasn't game changing. Now I realize how helpful a good CV can be,how important map control through warding is and how big of an advantage destroying enemy wards is. Most people hate support so you're rarely going to bump into a good one but everyone loves doing loads of damage. Learn the rarely played role well and you're more likely to get a competent team.

Revolting

07-29-2012

Supports can do a great deal to improve game and even carry in a sense that u provide speed buff, armor, mr, ad, as, lifesteal, full team shield all just in items. Turn a teamfight into a 4v5 with a blitz pull, massive aoe damage with blitz, taric leona, huge heals and armor buff on their focus with soraka, team stun with leona and sona. those are just some example. a solid support who like u say wards correctly to keep their adc alive and build correctly to aoe superbuff team and does not feed rly changes the game. weak supports who blame them dying on their adc or just right after their adc to make a 1 death instance turn into a double kill evertime are cancers and allows enemy adc to snowball.

*edit currently in my match history 6/10 games are playing as support 5 of which are wins