I am sick and tired of passive bot players

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wolfalisk

07-28-2012

I am getting increasingly irritated with players who wish to take bot, but think their only priority is to hold their own tower. Even though you only relegate one player to the bot lane in Dominion, that player effectively holds 50% sway over the game. If your top CANNOT get Windmill tower, it falls to the bot player to neutralize the enemy bot's tower in order to divert attention there and allow your team to capture Windmill.

I am absolutely surprised and appalled that players still do not understand the mechanics and intricacies of the bottom lane. You CANNOT play passive. Now - I'm not saying be reckless - but people need to understand there is more to bot than a zzzzzzzzzz farm fest. You need to constantly be trying to whittle the enemy bot's health down and attempt to kill them, or push their tower so that minions at least neutralize if you are unable to kill them. Not pursuing any of these goals loses the game, and I see it too often. You cannot say you're "doing your job" if you are simply holding your own tower while the enemy has a stranglehold on Windmill.

If you play bot lane a lot, I recommend asking yourself these things before and during the game:

[x] Do I understand that if my team is unable to capture Windmill (be it due to team comp, noobs, or recklessness), I must outplay their bot and divert another champion into my lane? Do I realize that if I fail do to this, we will most likely lose?

[x] What is my goal for this lane? Can I outplay the enemy bot and kill them, and take their tower? Or is pushing my only option? Am I keeping tabs on the mini-map so that I do not get ganked?

[x] If Windmill belongs to us, should I still try to kill their bot? If I see 2-3 enemy champions coming down to take my tower, am I properly communicating with my team by either asking for help or suggesting they cap mid?

[x] Do I realize that approximately 50% of our success relies on my actions alone?

Glumduk

07-28-2012

Some match-ups are impossible to push without backup.
50% of success in the game relies on how well the team coordinates with their bot laner (unless it's an S-class character). They need to be able to adapt, and sometimes that means sending someone down for a gank; it could also mean ninja capping their bot tower while the opponent bottom is pushed all the way to your friendly tower.

There are many different adaptive strategies; you need to keep an open mind. Don't leave your bot lane flapping in the breeze.

McJibble

07-28-2012

play yorick :/

Ekis the Seraph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WowGgPrettyEzTho View Post
I am getting increasingly irritated with players who wish to take bot, but think their only priority is to hold their own tower. Even though you only relegate one player to the bot lane in Dominion, that player effectively holds 50% sway over the game. If your top CANNOT get Windmill tower, it falls to the bot player to neutralize the enemy bot's tower in order to divert attention there and allow your team to capture Windmill.

I am absolutely surprised and appalled that players still do not understand the mechanics and intricacies of the bottom lane. You CANNOT play passive. Now - I'm not saying be reckless - but people need to understand there is more to bot than a zzzzzzzzzz farm fest. You need to constantly be trying to whittle the enemy bot's health down and attempt to kill them, or push their tower so that minions at least neutralize if you are unable to kill them. Not pursuing any of these goals loses the game, and I see it too often. You cannot say you're "doing your job" if you are simply holding your own tower while the enemy has a stranglehold on Windmill.

If you play bot lane a lot, I recommend asking yourself these things before and during the game:

[x] Do I understand that if my team is unable to capture Windmill (be it due to team comp, noobs, or recklessness), I must outplay their bot and divert another champion into my lane? Do I realize that if I fail do to this, we will most likely lose?

[x] What is my goal for this lane? Can I outplay the enemy bot and kill them, and take their tower? Or is pushing my only option? Am I keeping tabs on the mini-map so that I do not get ganked?

[x] If Windmill belongs to us, should I still try to kill their bot? If I see 2-3 enemy champions coming down to take my tower, am I properly communicating with my team by either asking for help or suggesting they cap mid?

[x] Do I realize that approximately 50% of our success relies on my actions alone?
Do you also realize that this is a team game?

As an avid bot player, threads like this irks my nerves.

1.) If you're a top player, map awareness should be the same, if not better than that of the bot lane. Why aren't you ganking bot if you cannot grab windmill? Why aren't you going for their mid? WHY AREN'T YOU DOING ANYTHING THAT WOULD IN ANY CASE CRIPPLE THEIR WINDMILL DEFENSE ALLOWING YOU TO EFFECTIVELY GAIN 3 POINTS INSTEAD OF BEATING YOUR HEAD AGAINST A BRICK WALL?

2.) Are you properly communicating with bot? Are you seeing an overextending enemy bot player that you could gank, thus forcing other enemies to run bot to save their own (which could lead to openings for the Windmill you're dying so much to capture, or maybe their mid perhaps)? Are you asking if they need help at bot? Because communication is a two-way street.

3.) Do you know anything about bot compositions? Sometimes the bot's job is not to kill and capture their enemy's bot - it's to hold their own and stalemate long enough until someone stronger can otherwise come and kill the enemy bot player. (Think Maokai, Yorick, Urgot, Malz, and Jax who effectively can dominate/stalemate bot lane thus needing 2 people to take out). Playing aggressively does not work in every composition.

Quote:
I am absolutely surprised and appalled that players still do not understand the mechanics and intricacies of the bottom lane.
Well let me be the first to say that, as a High ELO bot player, that you know very little about the bot lane. Try not to give advice unless you yourself are sure you "understand the mechanics and intricacies of the bottom lane".

Kohelet

07-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WowGgPrettyEzTho View Post

I when the bot laner pushes constantly.

Then he dies and we lose our tower.

Then 3 go bottom.

Then we lose top while everyone bottom.

Then we get top back.

Then the bot laner pushes...

You see the pattern?

BeefJerkyHunter

07-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohelet View Post
I when the bot laner pushes constantly.

Then he dies and we lose our tower.

Then 3 go bottom.

Then we lose top while everyone bottom.

Then we get top back.

Then the bot laner pushes...

You see the pattern?
Your issue is in bold.

NamKim

07-28-2012

I know at my level (aka low elo) people play bot lane really passively. They treat bot lane like how you would top lane in SR.

Granted, people pick whoever to go bot...I had a game where Trundle went bot because Ryze said Ryze is a terrible bot...

NavyGothic

07-28-2012

It's completely unreasonable to expect your bot laner to carry the game without support from the team. It's the Dom equivalent of "always blame the jungler."

Inkyjinx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-28-2012

i can tell you that as a regular bot player the amount of times that i get ZERO bot ganks is absurd. like at least 75% of the games my teammates seem to simply forget that bot exists.

serves me right for playing soloqueue, right?

Redenbacher

07-28-2012

This reminds me of a game where our team discovered, at spawn, that the only player we could reliably send bottom against the enemy Yorick was Pantheon.

Yea, that was a sad realization.

However, to our benefit, Yorick pushed like a mad gravedigger- as most Yoricks do. Our team coordinated many ganks on him, winning us the game. (His team proceeded to rage at him in stats screen, failing to realize they simply refused to support him in favor of holding Windmill)

Every time I see a hard pusher that can be challenging to play aggressively against, I make sure the team knows to gank frequently. Not all bot matchups are in your team's favor - but outplaying your enemy very well can be.