Spinning axes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ohasis

07-28-2012

So i figured id give Draven a shot, and I'm wondering whether Spinning axes is just a flawed concept? When is using this ability viable? I find the following:

Using it to cs is frustrating because the micro involved can be quite distracting in the early lane phase

Using it while chasing is hard because if it lands to the left or right you've effectively lost chase distance from an enemy

Using it in teamfights I wonder if there is actually damage lost by having 2.3ish AS and be constantly moving as opposed to auto attacking.

Does anyone else feel this way, or am i just doing it wrong?

Lajinn5

07-28-2012

remember this, the axes will lead you, for example, if you throw it then run away from the enemy the axes will position to land towards where you are going, if you stand still they will fall slightly to the right, left, or on you, if you are chasing they will lead you as well, if you're chasing, using your MS boost then catching an ax will allow you to catch back up, as to teamfights, by that phase you should have about as much AD/AS as any other AD carry, giving you great damage still

PrincessIrelia

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-28-2012

I heard from a 2400 that all you have to do is catch 1, and you have the advantage with dravyn.

timpar3

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-28-2012

Not to mention they hit for an extra % of your overall AD... I'd say it's pretty viable whenever you got the chance.. Plus IF you are capable of doing so, you can keep it going forever.

blindcyde80

07-28-2012

using them for cs, while helpful, isnt really the best use for them in lane phase, instead pop it when you go to harass for TONS OF DAMAGE (realtively), and run back before it hits, so it will lead you like others have said

for chasing, it only hinders you if you stand still to auto attack. if you move between attacks like you should be anyway, then they'll lead you and you can chase or even run away while doing good damage, tho i wouldnt suggest doing it while running away too often, unless you know you can land the attack safely anyway, and even still i wouldnt worry about actually catching it at this particular scenario

and in team fights, the same deal, you should be moving more, leading to more chances to catch the axes, but even if you dont, its no big deal cus you're an AD carry and you do ridiculous damage without it late game, so if nothing else, just pop it on cd at this point for the one big attack. i find the attack speed steroid more useful here, even tho its such a short duration its a huge dps increase even without the spinning axe, and if you can catch one or two, even better

all in all, theyre designed for early game superiority, and once you figure out how to catch them reliably, they work pretty **** well for that purpose.

and, idk how youre building to get 2.3 AS, i never get that high and have no problems doing damage, but like i said late game i dont worry about catching them as much, obviously i still try to but i wont go out of my way, or risk getting caught out for it. staying alive and pumpng out regular auto attacks is more damage than getting an extra spinning axe off then dying cus you put yourself in a bad spot to do so

Shottymaster

07-28-2012

It's not a reliable CS tool, it's mostly for poking since it gives a lot of bonus damage and you can keep chasing with your MS buff if you keep catching them.

TeknoWizard

07-28-2012

Not saying it's the best idea, but here's what I do.

I try to use a spinning axe for farming. Just constantly have one. If I miss catching it, or anything like that, then whatever. But when I go to trade, I pop a second one, E, pop W, throw both of them, then back off super quick, not bothering to catch them. At that point you've chunked them for some stupid amount of damage and they're very unlikely to try and counter attack. The whole point of them, I feel, is just to give you that extra boost at the start of fights. If you can keep catching them, then you can out trade basically anyone.

AlphariusRising

07-28-2012

Your third point is the reason you don't build early attack speed as Draven. Boots, 0-2 Doran's, probably a vamp scepter, and then IE should be your first buys.