Almost at 6300 IP, looking to splurge!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mentono

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-09-2010

Alrite, so I've been saving up my IP for a while now, not really buying any champions so that I could have 6300 IP. Now that I'm one FWOTD from getting it, I'm looking to splurge it. I have some champions in mind that I would like:

"Tier 1": Vladimir, Garen, Xin Zhao
"Tier 2": Rammus, Malphite, Taric
"Possibles": Nasus, Mordekaiser, Jax, Cho' Gath, Fiddlesticks, Gangplank, Galio, Dr. Mundo, Janna

I mostly play normal Solo queue, with occasional Duo or Trio queue. I mained Amumu, with some Trist and Ashe thrown in occasionally. My main problem is that I wanna deal some better damage, while having decent survivability of a tank-like character. That's why I'm looking at Garen and Xin Zhao as the two top champions for purchase.

I see Garen as a little more tanky, and Xin Zhao as more offensive, especially with his ult. I'll probably get one of the two, and then 2 between Nasus, Fiddlesticks, Janna and Dr. Mundo. However, if one of the other champions I have listed really fit my bill, then maybe you guys could talk about them a little bit?

If you had 6300 IP to spend on the above list....suggestions? Thanks

IPlayWithSinged

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-09-2010

I've played most of those champions.

garen = squishy. If you build into tank items to make him less squishy he = bad. I'd play him during this free week to test him. I bought and was very dissapointed.

vladimir = you can go into an AP build or a health build. I usually start AP, then see how the game is going. If we're doing good I stay AP, if we're doing bad I go health stacking. Was very very impressed with this champion.

xin zhao = just a bad master yi

rammus = good tank, like amumu.
malphite = just a bad version of amumu/rammus
taric = The stun and the heal is very helpful, I like duoing with him.
cho'gath has a learning curve. Once you know how to play him you can be a MFing cho'gath.
Nasus...Just no.
Mordekaiser....Hate playing him.
Jax is fun, but he seems UP.
Fiddlesticks, only good for his ult. Op at low levels, if he gets targeted in team fights hes dead. You can't get away playing him at level 20+.
gangplank is bad. Underpowered.
Galio never played
Dr. Mundo is amazing
Janna seems like she can lane very well, but theres nothing special about her either.

I suggest vladimir, Dr. mundo, and rammus. In that order.

Lord Hecarim

Recruiter

09-09-2010

i think fiddle and gankplank malphaite taric is good for you plus these char are very fun to use!

Lord Hecarim

Recruiter

09-09-2010

+0 *******http://riot-web-static.s3.amazonaws.com/forum/ui/thumbs_down.png******** *******http://riot-web-static.s3.amazonaws.com/forum/ui/thumbs_up.png******** *******http://riot-web-static.s3.amazonaws.com/forum/ui/message_quote_icon.png********

IPlayWithSinged *******http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/lol_theme/img/unknown_icon.jpg******** ?? *******http://riot-web-static.s3.amazonaws.com/forum/ui/avatar_right_orb_blue.png******** Member

Today, 09:09 PM
I've played most of those champions.

garen = squishy. If you build into tank items to make him less squishy he = bad. I'd play him during this free week to test him. I bought and was very dissapointed.

vladimir = you can go into an AP build or a health build. I usually start AP, then see how the game is going. If we're doing good I stay AP, if we're doing bad I go health stacking. Was very very impressed with this champion.

xin zhao = just a bad master yi

rammus = good tank, like amumu.
malphite = just a bad version of amumu/rammus
taric = The stun and the heal is very helpful, I like duoing with him.
cho'gath has a learning curve. Once you know how to play him you can be a MFing cho'gath.
Nasus...Just no.
Mordekaiser....Hate playing him.
Jax is fun, but he seems UP.
Fiddlesticks, only good for his ult. Op at low levels, if he gets targeted in team fights hes dead. You can't get away playing him at level 20+.
gangplank is bad. Underpowered.
Galio never played
Dr. Mundo is amazing
Janna seems like she can lane very well, but theres nothing special about her either.

I suggest vladimir, Dr. mundo, and rammus. In that order. ANd il say that you are kind of bad beause a rod of the adges fix fidlles hp and you think that he dies in 2 secs but he does not he can just fear them

Leib Olmai

09-09-2010

I wouldn't listen much to IPWS. In my point of view, he's not really telling the truth on everyone. He got some good point, but debying some champions just like that, not so sure. (Don't take it personal please ^^)

Garen : banned in alot of ranked match. He's not squishy, he can tank pretty well. He can even do really good damage with tanking gears. He got a silence and a good ultimate. You just need to like his playstyle.
Vlad: one of the good "mage/tank" out there. The thing is he have awsome lifesteal with his spell, and so good escape ability. Also most of his skill are AoE, he's a great addition to a group.
Xin Zhao : he isn't really like master yi. Alot of poeple find him still OP, evne after the nerf. If played well, you can destroy just everything. It's just that end-game he might just suffer a bit from scaling, but he's a pretty solid pick.
Rammus : have the best taunt, and a really short CD ultimate. Really fun to play. Good mobility.
Malphite : isn't tagged as a tank, but his movement steal and his W make him really hard to kill. His ult is a really good skill to initiate or prevent ennemie to run away. I wouldn't compare him to amumu and rammus at all, since the 3 have different playstyle. I don't like him much as dps tho. You won't see him much in ranked..
Nasus : pretty balanced champion, he have the best ult from all the champions of the league. He's kind-off off-tank DPS. So if you're looking for a tanky-dps, he's a good choice. His Q if famed can give him really good damage output.
Morde : I didn't really like playing him too, don't like his shield mechanic.
Jax : I agree, fun but UP. Most likely useless endgame
FIddle : His ult is nice, also got a fear and a lifedrain that can help gaking early game. He really shine early-mid game.
Gangplank : Never played him, his ult can be really good. I've see alot of poeple saying he's one of the most fun champ to play. Maybe not in ranked, but still of the most fun one out there. His crit can hurt alot.
Galio : One of the best Support/Tank if you can kill it will most likely because of his ult, which is really nice. But yeah, you are a pile of stone, don't do much damage but is really annoying for other team. He's a solid pick.
Mundo : Never played him, got buffed reacently, seem to be pretty fun champ, not sure about ranked, But he have nice ability. Seem balanced now. You just need alot of farming on him. Anyway, Mundo go where he please !
Janna : She's a nice support (maybe the best ?). Harrasser, there to piss off other team and harras. But that's it. If you don't like that, you won't like her. You are the babysitter. Nothing so special about her really. I wouldn't recommand her.
Taric : Banned is most ranked too. His stun, heal (got nerfed last patch) and defense make him a beast. He looks gay, have a gay taunt and joke haha. Alot of poeple really think he's OP and hate laning against him.

But Vlad and rammus are solid pick for Caster and rammus as tank. For tanky-dps I would really go with garen or xin. They are most likely a Love-it or Hate-it tho.

Mentono

09-09-2010

hmm malphite seems like such a good initiator though, RWE is like 600 dmg at level 16 or so.

Mentono

09-09-2010

yeh disruptivepie's stuff seems....to go almost exactly the opposite of the general communities views lolz. i can see what he's trying to say some of the time but....i disagree with most of what he has to say...sry man.

uhh lolz i dun plan to really play ranked, it's just to chill with some friends sometimes and kill some time. I'm probably gonna go like Garen/Xin Zhao and then 2 1350 champs, even though Vladimir seems soooo sexy to me lolz.

hmm about Jax isn't endgame where he shines the most? I get the feeling that he's like the second-most-need-farming character behind like Trynd.

Can someone help me with Mord? A lot of people say he's so awesome and can quickly turn a teamfight into 6 v 4, but...what does he do other than his ultimate?

and lastly, pick 2/4 from: Mundo, Janna, Nasus, Fiddle? lolz

Sion and Veigar are two other 1350 champs that look enticing......

lolz probably like 15-20 champs appeal to me in this game...wish I could have them all. have to start looking into runes too....hmm

Leib Olmai

09-09-2010

He was free last week. Some were just plain bad, and I would agree it would have been pretty much a bad option if you wanted a tank. But when you see that he can tank a tower alone of just tank 5 dude while he have his W on, or can catch up someone at low health to make sure he's dead. Always nice In my opinion.

If you place his R correctly in fight, I think it can be game changing and let your team get an ace. It's a skillshot tho. So, make you place him well.
He's not the best tank, the best dps or w/e, but he's pretty fun. He's just balanced.

Edit :
Jax don't shine well late game to be honest, he dodge alot.. but that's about it. With all the nerf he's pretty underpower.
Sion seem pretty solid. Veigar is a squishy ***** that can put alot of damage and have a nice stun, he's fun, but you really need to got his playstyle. And you'll need alot of CD reduction.
Vlad need alot of learning, but he's a beast, really one of the good champion out there.

Mentono

09-09-2010

well I guess Malphie isn't really that much of a tank, but building him with armour and HP makes him better, so he's like....off-tank? i dont really consider his R a skillshot lolz....like u aim it but it's not like amumu's Q, which i have trouble landing at times.

xpsychedelico

09-09-2010

Malphite is a good initiator, one of the best, but the problem is that he isn't much after that. Hence, he's not as viable compared to other tanks like Rammus and Taric who have good initiation and can continue to deal damage and/or support their team after.

Edit: Off-tank is right. He is on the squishy side if built DPS, I've yet to see a good DPS Malphite, but you rarely see him anyway, so it's hard to tell.

You are right that Jax is similar to Tryn, they are both late game champions who are reliant on farming up all their items to dominate. A well outfitted Jax is unstoppable 1v1 (sometimes up to 1v3), his only weakness being burst heavy casters. Early-mid game he tends to be kind of lacking until he gets his main items, Guinsoo's and maybe Phantom Dancer.

Mord doesn't really do much aside from his ultimate, that's is the problem. He's excellent at farming, like Sivir, and clears creep waves really quickly. But otherwise, he can shield an ally, and use his ult, that is pretty much it. Most people build him DPS, he is not suited for tank as he has no CCs. He's a tanky DPS like Garen and Xin.

If you want someone that deals good damage and has some survivability, Garen, Xin, Vlad and Mord fit what you want. If you want someone tanky and deals decent/good damage, Rammus, Taric, Mundo and Nasus are good options. In the end it really boils down to the type of playstyle you enjoy, since these champions are all very different in playstyle.