Itemization Paths

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

akirhol

09-09-2010

I'd have tried searching, but it seems it's disabled. My question relates to item purchasing, specifically regarding the order of purchasing items.

For example, I have 3 items I ultimately want. One is a tier 2 or "Advanced" item, the other two are tier 3 or "Legendary". Should I work on purchasing all the Tier 1 items before upgrading to Tier 2 then Tier 3? Or should I work on the requirements of one end game item until I have it before moving onto the next?

I know I can skip tiers if I have the gold for it, but assuming I don't, what method should I use to approach this part of the game?

R66Y

09-09-2010

This is really situational imho. Items that have stacks or require time to charge you generally need to get fairly quickly to get the most out of them. Other items can be put on "hold" if the situation warrants it. If you were building towards a damage item and realized that ryze was wtfpwning you every time you looked at him, it may make sense to use a slot to pick up a mantle to up your survival instead of continuing on towards your damage end item.

A large part of the game is being adaptive, determining what your opponents are doing and how to best counter them. If you aren't having too much problems with CC, why upgrade that catalyst to BV right away? Go build something else. On the other hand, if veigar keeps gtting you with his playpen, finish building your BV and go say "Hi" to him. What is optimal in one game may be suboptimal play in another.

Sorry I don't have any quick and easy answer for ya.

akirhol

09-09-2010

That's the best I could hope for and makes perfect sense thinking about it from that angle now. In that line of thought, there certainly can never be a perfect build order for items. I appreciate the insight... I guess I will just have to spend some time learning the different items available to me and when to use them.

BraveryBeyond

09-10-2010

I have to say, there tends to be a common build interest when getting items. It kind of goes like this for me:

1. Small, beginning item (usually from the Doran's family)
2. Boots (basic)
3a. Boots (upgraded)
3b. Largest piece of clutch item
4a. Largest piece of clutch item
4b. Boots (upgraded)
5. Clutch item
6. Situational item
7. Second clutch item
8. Situational item

Now, this is not a garenteed build order (I often skip my beginning item plus upgrading my boots if I'm getting Rod of Ages, simply due to build up time) but it covers the basic grounds of how you'll want to build up your items effectively. As R66Y pointed out, however, you still want to keep in mind that purchasing a piece of those situational items when you're running into trouble can benefit your play greatly. Just keep your mind open and adjust to your opponent's playstyle to counter it. However, also keep in mind that there are a few items you always want to get on particular characters (ex. Ashe always gets Infinity Edge) and these are what I mena by "clutch" items. Always make sure to balance what you absolutely need and what you're adapting to the match at hand.

akirhol

09-10-2010

I did pretty good last night, I just wish there was a search box for the items... I keep a spreadsheet on the other monitor with the item tree of the items I'm shooting for and that helped me decide what to get each time I went shopping.

Yesterday I managed to get Rageblade, Nashor's and Youmuu's on Kayle and had a blast with that... after that I had extra gold and started buying random AD and Health/armor boosting items. Have to say I'm really enjoying Kayle, had a wonderful time with 1v1 lane harassment while farming the minions. Having a better idea of how to go about the items helped a ton.

Thank you both for your help!

Chanchai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-10-2010

I admit... It took me awhile to get used to the buying interface. And I am still learning/memorizing the items.

In the back of my mind, I was hoping for either Hot Keys (like Counter Strike) or a Searchbox (because I had been reading guides and knew what items I wanted to try).

I sense that the developers would like you to explore your options. I guess one cool way to do that in the future is having an item browser in the game's main client (out of a game). That said, there are so many great resources for that like mobafire.com, leaguecraft.com, and I even got LoL Library on iPhone (great app, glad Riot approves!).

What helped me was to try to learn the items if I was waiting to get resurrected (though you should still try to follow the flow of the game), and sometimes in the early pre-laning phase if I've decided to play to start off a bit more defensively.

-Chanchai