Taric: AP or what?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mr Tibbers

11-09-2009

Hey guys, I have a quick question. I've been attempting a number of Taric builds lately, mostly because he's one of worst heroes. I have yet to figure exactly what the hell to do with him, but I've found limited success with an AP build on him. AP, though strong on him, can't be fully taken advantage of because his damage spells have longer cooldowns. My thoughts are that it will be better with a higher summoner level and, hence, more cooldown, but I'm not too sure. Of course, runes will help when they're out too, but for now I'm just wondering...is AP the way he's supposed to run?

Sorano

11-09-2009

I've played a few games with Taric. Most fun I've had in LoL. He's just so much amazing support, but a terrible solo character. His heal is incredible and keeps you and partner in the lane for such a long time. If he didn't have his ranged stun to harass, he wouldn't be nearly half as fun.

Yes, I think you are supposed to stack ability power. I usually for aim for mana regen to build Chalice of Harmony in early levels, then sorcerer's shoes, then start stacking ap massively with high ap/mana items. If the game drags on, I bring in cooldown reduction.

I wonder if you could make a good Taric Tank build by stacking hp, attack speed and crit. Since he regains mana based on a percent of damage, he could heal himself and shatter to keep his damage and regen up. Maybe it wouldn't work because he's so vulnerable alone.

ArcMissilez

11-09-2009

Taric, being one of the few healers, is someone I have be trying to create a viable build for. His healing ability early game is not too bad but mid and late, it and the entire champion simply loses its luster. Taric suffers from long dmg dealing CDs and poor maneuverability, both in movement speed and the fact that the aforementioned nukes require the target to be in melee range to do damage. While you can burn your stun to close this range, that forfeits one of his better scaling nukes. Alternatively, one can attempt to buff his attack power and health for synergy with his ult (Radiance), his passive, and the armor redux of shatter. This, however, forces him to wack things to regen mana, which may not always be availble or safe. It also forfits any effectivness of heal for it is **** without some AP augmentation and if he can't wack things, the CD is too long. Every attack build Taric I have seen and tried has been borderline failure or worse.

Considering the arguments layed out above, Its ovious Taric needs 4 things: CD Redux, AP, Atk speed, and health. The most successful builds I've seen (thou not extensively tested) involve Nashor's Tooth, aura items like Aegis or Stark's (in cases were the team doesn't have one), and tanking items namely soul shroud. Others have pointed out Chalice as he does tend to have his ult run him out of mana and he has no magic resist gain.

After more thought, Taric's rolls are limited to a babysitter and a stunner in the early game and a support tank later on. It could be possible to go straight tank on him, but all his abilities scale with AP pretty well and his ability to heal himself and his lane mate or the carry, whack a few things to reduce the CD, and then do it again is diminished by a straight tank build. Not to mention that if you constantly attacking things you can recast heal every 8-10 seconds, assisting in the tanking roll. Maybe I'm crazy for valuing the heal this much, its up for discussion. One thing is for sure thou, he is sub par and needs some boosting, but this is not the thread for QQ.

Discuss.

Slaaz

11-09-2009

I always use Taric for support, I mainly get soul shroud and aegis on him for the auras because I think it might be the only thing he can get done, support.

The point is though that when I play him I'm qith a friend who gets sivir, I can heal him all the time and sivir harasses a lot so we're never in a bad situation except in a gank were we're 3v2. Even then their ult synergize so much together they push like beasts.

My build use auras like I said with a nashors tooth for extra, I get some tank stuff if the game lasts longer.

sTrikerT

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2009

Lets see what Taric is: Tank + Healer
If thats the role you want to play him, he needs to be able to take damage while have mana and ap to heal.

what items satisfy those needs?
imho

Rod of Ages: 725 HP, 725 mana, 80 AP
Soul Shroud: 580 HP, 12 mana regen, 15% cd
Frozen Heart: 110 Armor, 500 mana, 25% cd, 25% reduce att spd
Archangel's Staff: 1000 mana, 25 mana regen, 45 AP, 2% mana to AP
AP/Mercury/Ninja Boot: 33 AP/ 35 mag resis/ 25 armor
Banshee's Veil: 500 HP, 400 mana, 60 mag resis

Total at level 18:
3893 HP
3288 Mana
184 Armor
125 Mag Resis (with Mercury)
191 AP
40% CD

anata ga mori

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2009

As a tank and healer, Taric lacks only one thing, and that is damage. Slaaz made a great point above, which is that Taric is the ideal partner for a low-health, high damage character who constantly needs to be healed out of the danger zone.

Taric is great for the team, but with the inordinate focus on kill stats, a lot of players may not accept the support style of play.

Mr Tibbers

11-09-2009

As a healer, lacks late game. I've found myself unable to sufficiently heal even with a focus in AP. As a tank, well...he doesn't really fit the role better than the other tanks, imo. He has high starting armor with Shatter and a stun, yeah. But early game is nothing compared to endgame. Tanks like Rammus, Alistar and even Malphite all outdo him in that regard. With a tank focus, he loses his healing viability as well. Well, unless you guys are using a different item build for that than what I have in mind.

I played a game with AP/Health stacking and I was dealing quite a bit of damage. I ended at 8/6/10 or something like that, and had the most kills on my team for some reason. Luck? Too many tanks? Not sure. I was able to kill towers easily, especially with my ult on. I was often able to ignore attacks on me while attacking the tower because my heal was just outhealing them. The biggest problem though, as stated earlier, was that his spells require you to be in melee range to do any significant damage. You can pop one to close the range, but the one you just popped does no damage at long ranges or near to it, and it is the BEST scaling/damage attack Taric has. The cooldowns are a bit too long as well.

Sorano

11-09-2009

Honestly, I think people have a hard time accepting that Taric is probably not meant for soloing at all. With Taric's current numbers and cooldown timers, he is a primary support and great synergy with a tons of champions (I've been incredibly effective at laning with him and Nunu) and unfortunately loses his luster a bit late game.

I mostly use Shatter defensively when killing minions. I've had some success when Shatter's meager range managed to finish off a fleeing champion while his stun was on cd. It's not potent enough to be used offensively late game when champions have enough health.

d00m

11-09-2009

If you got any questions about a good AP build on Taric the gemknight ... i would suggest you go take a peak at my AP taric guide ... Taric - The PWNERER!!! ... i wrote an extensive guide on how i play him and how he is puplicly underestimated, and how he is always being seen as "useless to anything but heal" ... my guide will show you how to actually give you the chance of dealing MASSIVE damage, and also how to rotate your DPS cycles. Hope it will help, and change your mind about him

Asvarduil

11-09-2009

Check the [Guide] Taric, the Gem Knight thread here, too. We've been having a long discussion about him.