Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

When to jump into ranked?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kroghar

09-09-2010

Are Ranked matches bracketed by player level? If I'm level 10 and I play a ranked game will I get matched up against other level 10 players, or will I get lumped in with level 30 players? Is the idea more that you play Normal matches till level 30 then jump in ranked?

Are there any benefits to playing Ranked over Normal matches other than bragging rights?

Thanks!

xpsychedelico

09-09-2010

You can only play ranked when you're level 30 if you are solo/duo queuing. You can do a 5 man premade at level 20 onwards. Normal games do not show you your ELO, ranked matches do. When you start in ranked, you will automatically start at 1200 ELO, it can go up or down depending on your wins and losses. If you have less than 1200 ELO, it will not show up on your profile, and will be labelled as "unranked." In general, playstyles in ranked tend to be a lot more competitive than normal (wards, team composition, etc). Also, note that in ranked play, champion selection is draft pick 1-2-2-2-2-1, and the captain (highest ELO or 5 man premade captain) will get to choose two champions to ban at the start.

Leib Olmai

09-09-2010

You can get into Ranked at level 20, and when you have at least 14 champions (with the Free week).
But I wouldn't recommand to jump into ranked as soon as you hit level 20.

Get some runes b efore, make sure you really get the game right and aren't "noob" anymore.
In normal game, it "doesn't matter much" really on how you do it. Even if it's always nice to win.

In ranked once you're level 20, you're match'ed with level 20 to 30. Some of those level 30 have all champion avaiable or so.. full rune page, have experience, etc. (same if you do normal with level 30)
But in ranked, you have something called ELO, which someone else would explain it better than me. It's just number that will be deternimed on how you do in ranked. You're most likely matched with someone with an equivalent Elo.

The thing is, if you lose alot of game, your elo will drop alot. And if you don't do too well and maybe make your team lose, you'll also make the Elo of the other 4 dude you play with drop. So that's why you kinda have to make sure to be ready for ranked.

Fleiska

09-09-2010

Draft pick system also requires that you have atleast 14 champions available. Free champions are included so you need to own atleast 4 champions.

Kroghar

09-09-2010

All good info and tips, thanks guys! I'll just hold off till 30 then probably. I just kept seeing the Ranked game option and was wondering if it was something I should be doing in the low ranks too, but sounds like it's worth just waiting till you really have the game down at 30.