I lose top lane 90% of the time, help please :*(

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Garbles

07-26-2012

So I usually do premades with friends (how they've managed to keep playing with me is beyond me but thats another subject). It seems my opponents top tend to be 1400-1800 elo. my friends are typically 1500-1750.

So I've been doing all I can to figure out why I'm doing so bad. I can't rely on jungle every game.

Things I know:
1. freezing the lane if you can by tank blocking creeps or just not allowing them to get near your tower.
2. Always keeping a ward in river and looking out for ganks.
3. when an enemy backs, depending on the situation try to push to their tower to reset the lane back into your favor.
4. hitting creeps early on and gaining lvl 2/3 faster will usually help more than hurt even if you push the lane. Depending on champion.
5. cs > all
6.if you have the advantage push a lane hard to help mid or dragon.

Things I dont know:
1. If I can win a trade. It seems to be totally random if I come out on top on a trade and I dont know why. Seems like it would take hundreds of games to learn this but I dont have the time nor the energy to do trial and error.

2. How to farm when you're behind or lower hp than your opponent. (usually I have to sit out of range of creeps or only get 1-2 creeps per wave while they get them all.) How do I stop them from snowballing?

3. How to play without wards at lvl 1-4 when a jungle can gank you without your knowledge. Half the time I try to do a trade with an early lvl 2 or 3 lead and I get ganked and instantly lose the lane even if I don't die. Other times I'm even playing defensive and they still seem to get me to flash with a good CC setup. Other times I take 40% my hp in damage and automatically have to play passive since I can no longer trade my opponent. Say my jungle doesn't come top but theirs does, how do I play this off?

Also, does anyone know jungle times for various champions? That could potentially help me out.

5. How to play against a champion that counters yours. Say you end up getting counterpicked and you know you will lose trades. They push me to my tower to reset, then freeze the lane at their tower and I cant do a thing about it. Other times I just get harassed so badly they get free recalls and a huge item and CS lead. If I try to freeze the lane I usually take too much damage to pull it off as im forced to retreat under my tower.

Rykaal

07-26-2012

A few things to know. if your getting counterpicked, know the enemies weakness and try to abuse it, every champion has one. In some cases their weakness may not be obvious right away, but it will reveal itself in time, examples. Darius, super powerful early game, mass killing ult. his weakness is anyone who can outrange his grab.

And to keep the enemy from snowballing is easy, champions like Kat / Nasus NEED a good early game farm, harass them out of it and they will have a terrible late game. any form of harass can do this, long range pokes, CC, or anything that can deny them from boosting their cs. It takes a bit of practice, but its not hard.

Hilta

07-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbles View Post
Things I dont know:
1. If I can win a trade. It seems to be totally random if I come out on top on a trade and I dont know why. Seems like it would take hundreds of games to learn this but I dont have the time nor the energy to do trial and error.
Super important,its not totally random. knowing champions' advantages and disadvantages can get you from killing spree to legendary, if you play different champions more often, you will know what and when to do something in a certain situation.
Some of the gerneral things can get you wins in lane, such as:
Riven is the strongest level 1 champion
Lee Sin is the strongest level 3 champion
You take more damage if you autoattack jax with his dodge up
Dont trade with renekton/rumble when they have over 50% fury/energy bar

This will also let you cs better, lets you know when to make plays, teamfights, when to and not to go for objectives such as turret and baron. You dont need to trail 3-500 games, but this comes with experience of individual champions. You will also know how exactly to build a champion, in different matchups and situations, cookie cutters cant get you to the top. okay, okay, I know that was not my line :P

Mastering 1-3 champions with same or different roles will most likely help you, when you master them, you will know their hard counters, counterpicks, ability damage, range, CDs, when to engage, and their general playstyle. When you do master a champion, you usually know alot about other champions you face.

You shouldnt push before getting a ward, and you shouldnt die if your lane is not pushed, but if they do have 2 hard CCs like pantheon/shen, you will need to flash/ghost.
after you get your ward, place it down on either farside of river, in tribush or closeside river to prevent from all direction ganks, if your opponent warded before you do and their ward will see where you will ward, you can proceed to ask your mid/bot laners to swap lanes.

Sexual Healing

07-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbles View Post

Things I dont know:

2. How to farm when you're behind or lower hp than your opponent. (usually I have to sit out of range of creeps or only get 1-2 creeps per wave while they get them all.) How do I stop them from snowballing?

3. How to play without wards at lvl 1-4 when a jungle can gank you without your knowledge. Half the time I try to do a trade with an early lvl 2 or 3 lead and I get ganked and instantly lose the lane even if I don't die. Other times I'm even playing defensive and they still seem to get me to flash with a good CC setup. Other times I take 40% my hp in damage and automatically have to play passive since I can no longer trade my opponent. Say my jungle doesn't come top but theirs does, how do I play this off?

5. How to play against a champion that counters yours. Say you end up getting counterpicked and you know you will lose trades. They push me to my tower to reset, then freeze the lane at their tower and I cant do a thing about it. Other times I just get harassed so badly they get free recalls and a huge item and CS lead. If I try to freeze the lane I usually take too much damage to pull it off as im forced to retreat under my tower.

1. You will need to know every champion and only through experience will you develop a better sense of each champions dmg output/ sustain potential and so on. Trial and error is the only way, and don't bother playing if you don't want to put in the time.

2. Learn to cs under tower, and understand minion mechanics better to know how to manipulate your lane (this goes beyond just freezing creeps, but reset and focus mechanics as well).

3. Top lane is one of the most punishing places on the map to get behind in. You have flash and other attributes for a reason. summoners and some champion abilities are get out of jail free cards. honestly, if you learn lane control, on blue map, you should be rock solid and difficult to gank. Purple is more difficult with the exposed tri-bush, but you just do what you can. Also, take note, leaving lane is better than losing out on xp and cs due to hp.

5. Learn champion counters and counter mechanics. More importantly, you need to develop your play with a handful of champions in order to become comfortable and understand the potential of these core champions.

Bottomline, put in the time, play limited champions for now, and be able to contribute to team objectives. Winning lane doesnt mean you have more damage potential or cs or anything of the sort. Winning lane is simply doing more for your team.

Vizshus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-26-2012

Buy champions. Own Jax/Riven/Rumble/Darius/Teemo/Lee Sin/Vladimir/Malphite/Shyvana/Xin Zhao/Wukong/Irelia/Warwick/Renekton/Yorick

None of those are hyper carries like Akali or Tryndamere that you'll get out of control on, and your team will be relying on you to carry them through the game. That way if you're against much better players you throw away your teams only hope of winning the game if you make a major missplay during the mid/lategame. Since you'll be last pick (you're at 1400 elo) you can easily just counter pick their top.

www.lolcounter.com

Yorick is particularly easy to win your lane on, and he contributes a ton to your team mid/lategame even without farm. Click R, win.