please help me understand armor pen

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SoberToaster

09-09-2010

OK.
SO say I get some items or whatever and my normal attack is hypothetically 200.
but i don't have any armor pen.

What if I had, say, 10 armor pen?
I don't really understand
does that mean ten point of damage will hit the target no matter what?
whats the point when numbers are in the hundreds? seems insignificant to me..?

LittleFuryBugs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-09-2010

Say the person you are attacking has 100 armor.
With 10 armor penetration, you will effectively reduce that persons armor to 90 when you attack them.

Although, if someone has 15 armor and you have 20 armor penetration, they will not have an effective armor rating of -5, they will have an effective armor rating of 0.

SoberToaster

09-09-2010

oh ok thx man.

WeAreLegion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-09-2010

From the Champion stats FAQ stickied on this forum:
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=110048
"Every 1 armor means the damage it takes to kill you is extended by 1% of your hitpoints. At 100 armor, it takes 100% more damage to kill you, ie it requires double damage, ie you're taking half-damage. At 300 armor you're taking 25% damage, etc."

If your attacks penetrate ten armor, then the damage you do to your target is 10% more damage than an attack without armor penetration (does this make sense?). All champions have a natural amount of armor that scales with level, so having 10 armor penetration will usually be more useful than having 10 more attack damage.

There also aren't very many items that provide armor penetration, so the ones that do provide it are common in most physical dps builds.
Armor penetration is especially useful when you encounter a target that is stacking armor in order to prevent your physical damage, like the designated tank on your opponents team. There are specific items that help to counter armor stacking (last whisper, starks fervor, ghostblade, and black cleaver).

Let me know if you have any more questions!

SlackWareWolf

09-09-2010

This used to confuse me too, then I watched the video of "Twisted Fate - Champion Spotlight" where Phreak explained a few things about Armor Pen and Magic Pen, and now I get it better; Basically, like the first reply says, it reduces their armor when you hit with your basic attack.

If you're playing a champ who you use a lot of abilities however, then your Magic Pen comes into play. Magic Pen reduces their Magic Resistance, much like Armor Pen reduces their Armor.

So for someone like Twisted Fate, where you may like to build him in a manner where you just want his normal basic attack to do some damage, you can get some Greater Mark of Desolation, and Quintessences of Desolation (Because those are the only two Runes with any Armor Pen) and then get Infinite Edge, Malady, and Phantom Dancer, and basically blast anyone within range.

However, for Ryze, or Malzahar, I'd use Magic Penetration, and Ability Power, and let those abilities do a lot of the damage, because they both can do quite a bit with abilities.

So for them, getting Ability Power, makes the damage their abilities do much better, and with Magic Pen, even more so.

Basically it comes down to what kind of damage you deal; If you are using the Champions basic attack, Armor Pen works best. And something to up damage, like Infinite Edge. And if you're mainly using their special abilities to deal damage, then the Magic Pen and Ability Power will help you more.

That's basically a little easier of a way to understand it. Or at least for me.

Just remember that Runes for this stuff, when it comes to Armor Pen, only Marks and Quintessences have it. So I normally max them out in those two areas since I can't use Seals or Glyphs for it, and for Magic pen, very similar.

I have a page I use on Malzahar where I have mostly Ability Power for a lot of the Runes, but all my Marks and so on, are Magic Pen.

SoberToaster

09-09-2010

ty for all the answers. helped alot.