What makes Zed better than Talon

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CountMoko

2 Weeks Ago

Conflicted about which to get. From what I hear, just about everyone says Zed is way better than Talon and easier to play. For some reason that seems to contradict my experience with them. Talon for me seems like the easier champ since all you do is teleport in, then you can bleed, rake, ult in whatever combo feels right. I actually had a harder time with Zed cause I have to worry about my positioning and my shadows to get good damage. So Im wondering what makes Zed easier/better to use?

JarOfSARS

2 Weeks Ago

Zed is probably harder to play, but Talon is weaker early due to his reliance on mana and having no easy way to get mana regen besides starting crystalline flask. Talon also has no escapes besides his ult (which is also an offensive spell), so Zed definitely has the mobility advantage. They're both fine, just they do things in slightly different ways. Talon's just considered a little... dated, in that he's one of the only assassins that uses mana without an easy way to get regen, making him waste money worrying about it or having to recall more frequently.

Sohleks

2 Weeks Ago

Zed has a more... modern kit. He has more tricks to learn, higher damage potential yet his damage has a higher opportunity to be countered. He is picked more often in higher level play, but Talon's directness and simplicity can be good too.

Talon is good in a sense that if he's in range his mini silence is all he needs to get his entire burst off. He gives opposing squishy champions few options other than stay out of his mediocre jump range if he has lethal damage. But Talon has no real escape.

Talon's area of effect damage usually covers a bigger area. Zed on the other hand is much more capable of assassinating tanks due to deathmark. This gives Zed serious splitpushing power. However if Zed is CC'd during his ultimate he loses a lot of this damage though.

Imagine a Zed vs. Talon matchup. The time I've seen this matchup Talon won due to his silence into stealth being instantly applied nullifying Zed's ultimate. I believe both champions can win this matchup but Zed needs to utilize his ranged poking capabilities to accrue a health and gold lead before committing to beating talon.

Invisibleally

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountMoko View Post
Conflicted about whether to get Talon or Zed. I'm wondering what makes Zed easier/better to use?
Zed seems to have better mobility and survivability to me. Talon is certainly simpler to use, but to me feel a lot more difficult to stay alive with (even with his ultimate). I'm pretty sure the damage ratios would be in favor of Talon, but it couldn't be by too much- Zed doles out a bunch of damage, too.

Venomous Unicorn

2 Weeks Ago

My main problem with Zed is most mid mages will just rush Zhonya's against him to eliminate his death mark damage. Plus he's one of the more mechanically intensive champions in the game so it's definitely a dangerous pick. He's best when roaming to pick of kills and split pushing since his high base damages make him easy to farm with. Talon isn't a better champion IMO but he's definitely easier to use and has similar assassination potential.

Escru

2 Weeks Ago

Zed by nature of being melee plays safe in mid lane, so its hard to gank him. Even if he is a bit over extended, he still has a good escape ability that makes him untargetable for a split second (good against targeted abilities and skillshots because they go through thin air if you save your shadow for exactly when they would target you or their skillshot would land). Of course that is requiring mucho skillz.

He moves rather fast so he dodges most mid laner's skillshots quite easily, he last hits very easily with his passive (that is important because you don't want to fail a last hit and get hit by an ability, or get hit by an ability when you double back to get that last hit). Because he is usually very healthy in lane, that combined with the fact that all his damage is concentrated into his low cooldown ult, means that champions with damage that is spread out over a longer period of time cannot kill Zed before they explode. Talon takes quite some time, and can take damage through non targeted abilities. In teamfights, a pink ward dropped makes you get stunned by someone and blown up instantly. Zed doesn't have that problem because he just walks forward and uses his ult, becomes untargetable, and then uses his shadow to get out.

Also as someone else said, Zed doesn't use mana so his all in or poke is only constrained by cooldowns, whereas talon has insane mana problems early game and can be pushed around easily.

Escru

2 Weeks Ago

Zed by nature of being melee plays safe in mid lane, so its hard to gank him. Even if he is a bit over extended, he still has a good escape ability that makes him untargetable for a split second (good against targeted abilities and skillshots because they go through thin air if you save your shadow for exactly when they would target you or their skillshot would land). Of course that is requiring mucho skillz.

He moves rather fast so he dodges most mid laner's skillshots quite easily, he last hits very easily with his passive (that is important because you don't want to fail a last hit and get hit by an ability, or get hit by an ability when you double back to get that last hit). Because he is usually very healthy in lane, that combined with the fact that all his damage is concentrated into his low cooldown ult, means that champions with damage that is spread out over a longer period of time cannot kill Zed before they explode. Talon takes quite some time, and can take damage through non targeted abilities. In teamfights, a pink ward dropped makes you get stunned by someone and blown up instantly. Zed doesn't have that problem because he just walks forward and uses his ult, becomes untargetable, and then uses his shadow to get out.

Also as someone else said, Zed doesn't use mana so his all in or poke is only constrained by cooldowns, whereas talon has insane mana problems early game and can be pushed around easily.