A day in the life of a Riot employee?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Th3 Herbalist

07-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
There is no time when we are kicked out of the building. It is regular for someone to be working at any hour (we have LOTS of developers) but it is not common for most people to work overnight. What you describe can happen here just depending on what things people are working on. For me, I more often work late because I want to keep working on what I'm doing than anything else.
It sounds like you guys have a really great peer-powered environment, and I love that. How much input does peer "pressure" go into what you do on a daily basis, work wise? (This is probably more of a pertinent question for designers, since programmers do what NEEDS done regardless of what they want done, but I figured I would ask anyway.)

Also, sorry for all the question spams. Riot's workplace environment is something I've loved from what I've heard and from what you're confirming it's seeming even better. It's good to see that you guys have a place to hang out and work at the same time. Too often it's either one or the other with too much negative energy going around.

GrandpaHarry

07-24-2012

I really expected this thread to be full of Like a Boss references.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

07-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryogen1x View Post
thanks for prairie dogging your way in here (;d)

i was actually going to mention that in my original post.. You guys are always at the office and never seem to really mind it. Now i understand why. Does the office have closing hours or is it open 24/7? I know there's many people who work overnight on projects, but is that regular?

My parents both work for upmc in pittsburgh (hometown woo) and my dad frequently stays overnight to do work, but he's in the minority of the networking staff. It's almost like a skeleton crew, so to speak. Is that the same deal at riot?
Pittsburgh! Wooooo

Delnoir

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-24-2012

Quote:
I'm a grunt as well. I write codes! The vast majority of my day is development time spent coding. Because that's the least interesting to "life at Riot" I wanted to answer the questions about why we love it so much. Oh, I forgot to mention the big TVs with fighting games and arcade sticks on the 2nd and 3rd floors.
Fighting games? o_o

Do ya'll play Blazblue?

Griftrix

Senior Animation Engineer

07-24-2012
6 of 77 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Doukeshi View Post
Do different departments tend to keep different hours? i.e. are animators more morning people while the community group starts working in the afternoon and stays later?
We have some people monitoring the game, up-time, bug forums, and stability around the clock. They work in shifts. Some other departments, like player support and IT, also have a combination of early and late people. It is 100% right that if you are available for meetings and get your work done you can have flexible hours. The trick is, we hire talented, passionate, self motivated people who want to do awesome things. With a team like this, it's easy to get lots of great things done.

Griftrix

Senior Animation Engineer

07-24-2012
7 of 77 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delnoir View Post
Fighting games? o_o

Do ya'll play Blazblue?
I just checked over there. It's in the stack of games, yes.

Spurlock9

07-24-2012

Are there specific times when people need to be there? Obviously it would be beneficial to be there at the meeting times, but if someone preferred sleeping through most of the day & working at night, would that be an issue given that they would still be ok making the meetings?

Edit: It appears as though you answered my question while I was asking my question. On one hand, I'm annoyed, on the other, thanks.

Rossingol

07-24-2012

What kind of food trucks do you guys have down there? I start salivating whenever I watch the Food Truck show on Food Network.

I AM A FORUM MOD

07-24-2012

Quote:
Others go to the Korean internet cafe we have on the 3rd floor to play with all the PCs there.
I hope that helps!

riot has a Korean internet cafe?

VriskaSpider

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-24-2012

Quote:
I just checked over there. It's in the stack of games, yes.
Will you guys be playing the Persona fighter when it comes out in two weeks?