A day in the life of a Riot employee?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Archparagon

07-24-2012

Im in an IT office with one other dude who likes it freezing cold and I come in everyday wearing a jacket and everyday he asks me if im cold. Who keeps an office at 68? I like mine at ~74 but hes been here longer so I stick with the jacket. After that I play a MUD (cuz this comp sux too bad for LoL) and run around on LoL forums. Anyone whos noticed me on the forums (I'm guessing not many) would notice that i post between 730am-4pm pst. When I get home I play LoL. Most of my IT work is computer imaging and since the other guy doesnt listen to me it takes all day to do one batch(~10 computers) my way gets it done in 2 hours and doesnt kill our internet (i run a closed circuit, he broadcasts over the domain). I would have stayed at my old job if it paid as much as this one.

Riot need any IT Staff that enjoy working hard and know what they are doing? Im from Sac so you guys are just a couple hours (~7) down the street from me :-). I can move.

PS I know how to do a lot more than just image. Thats what they have me doing here but I fix and troubleshoot Macs and PCs, Hardware and Software

Ding an Sich

07-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
Hi. It is defiantly a casual dress work environment. Jeans and T shirts are the norm. Some people dress up a little more and that is totally cool as well.

My typical day starts with a bowl a cereal while watching some live games on the spectator mode monitors. Then I get a cup of coffee and get to checking emails and starting my programmin day and greeting people as they come in. I listen to the animators talk about the cool stuff they're doing and make sure that if they have any tech needs they are on our radar so we can support them in time. At 11:30 my team meets up and we go over the done and upcoming tasks in about 15 min.

After that I get back to my coding and then go to lunch, usually with other office people. I try to change it up so I get to know everyone. For lunch we either walk to the food court next door, go to the food trucks, or maybe walk to burgers or something. Rarely we use a car to get lunch, but if we do, it's taco day. Some people (starting to be me a couple times a week) go to the gym that is just next door to get a quick workout in during lunch.

After lunch it's more typical developer stuff and sometimes a meeting with more engineers to talk about overall goals and development practices. Sometimes it's a meeting with designers about upcoming champions and what tech they might need. Every now and then we go on coffee runs downstairs at the coffee shop if we want something fancy, like an iced mocha.

Around the end of the day, people start prairie dogging up over their desks (It's ok for me to use this word, because I'm Texan) to look for people for live games. Others go to the Korean internet cafe we have on the 3rd floor to play with all the PCs there. It's really hard to go home because I like what I do so much, and even if I'm not programming, it's fun to hang out and play games.

I hope that helps!
What's patch day like? Taking out blunt weapons to harm the machinery and codes even though it won't help? Or laughing because you area doesn't have to worry about thatXD?

LordJerichoSwain

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-24-2012

Quote:
Hi. It is defiantly a casual dress work environment. Jeans and T shirts are the norm. Some people dress up a little more and that is totally cool as well.

My typical day starts with a bowl a cereal while watching some live games on the spectator mode monitors. Then I get a cup of coffee and get to checking emails and starting my programmin day and greeting people as they come in. I listen to the animators talk about the cool stuff they're doing and make sure that if they have any tech needs they are on our radar so we can support them in time. At 11:30 my team meets up and we go over the done and upcoming tasks in about 15 min.

After that I get back to my coding and then go to lunch, usually with other office people. I try to change it up so I get to know everyone. For lunch we either walk to the food court next door, go to the food trucks, or maybe walk to burgers or something. Rarely we use a car to get lunch, but if we do, it's taco day. Some people (starting to be me a couple times a week) go to the gym that is just next door to get a quick workout in during lunch.

After lunch it's more typical developer stuff and sometimes a meeting with more engineers to talk about overall goals and development practices. Sometimes it's a meeting with designers about upcoming champions and what tech they might need. Every now and then we go on coffee runs downstairs at the coffee shop if we want something fancy, like an iced mocha.

Around the end of the day, people start prairie dogging up over their desks (It's ok for me to use this word, because I'm Texan) to look for people for live games. Others go to the Korean internet cafe we have on the 3rd floor to play with all the PCs there. It's really hard to go home because I like what I do so much, and even if I'm not programming, it's fun to hang out and play games.

I hope that helps!
sounds like all play no work lol. no offense but it really does....

Anxietyyy

07-24-2012

Moar riot posts please :3

MisoSowee

07-24-2012

more reds!

CaptainButtholio

07-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroNatalie View Post
I'm curious as well. We write most of our apps for Adobe AIR (same as the LoL client) and we use mostly Flex/AS3.
The game is programmed primarily in C++.

Griftrix

Senior Animation Engineer

07-24-2012
2 of 77 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilige View Post
As a programming student at East Carolina University, what you describe and what some of the reps from RedHat have said about their office life... I'm fairly certain I'm in the right major . Just one more question, what language do you primarily work in? Java, C++, Python, Ruby?
As a content and tools engineer that supports champion development and artists, I work in C++ and C#. I believe the back-end is all Java.

Edit: I've been informed that as a whole, our company uses C++, C#, Java, PHP, Perl, Ruby, AS3, Flex 3, and probably some other web stuff that I'm missing.

Xx iMid xX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-24-2012

Quote:

I hope that helps!
By reading this, I am more sure of what I want to do with my life! I am a Computer Cience student in Puerto Rico and that is my dream! Become part of a team creating stuff for games! (I just sounded like Ash Ketchum xD)

Griftrix

Senior Animation Engineer

07-24-2012
3 of 77 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASinisterCarrot View Post
Sounds fun... Does anyone there play normal pvp instead of ranked?
Plenty of times it's normal. Probably most of our games are normal and not ranked. I've done a mix of draft and blind pick as well.

Wow Such Juke

07-24-2012

Quote:
It's really hard to go home because I like what I do so much, and even if I'm not programming, it's fun to hang out and play games.

I hope that helps!
Thanks for prairie dogging your way in here (;D)

I was actually going to mention that in my original post.. you guys are always at the office and never seem to really mind it. Now I understand why. Does the office have closing hours or is it open 24/7? I know there's many people who work overnight on projects, but is that regular?

My parents both work for UPMC in Pittsburgh (hometown woo) and my dad frequently stays overnight to do work, but he's in the minority of the networking staff. It's almost like a skeleton crew, so to speak. Is that the same deal at Riot?