A day in the life of a Riot employee?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mulldozer5

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-24-2012

More! :O

Piatchi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-24-2012

inb4 Riot is flooded with resumes.

BTripp

07-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
Hi. It is defiantly a casual dress work environment. Jeans and T shirts are the norm. Some people dress up a little more and that is totally cool as well.

My typical day starts with a bowl a cereal while watching some live games on the spectator mode monitors. Then I get a cup of coffee and get to checking emails and starting my programmin day and greeting people as they come in. I listen to the animators talk about the cool stuff they're doing and make sure that if they have any tech needs they are on our radar so we can support them in time. At 11:30 my team meets up and we go over the done and upcoming tasks in about 15 min.

After that I get back to my coding and then go to lunch, usually with other office people. I try to change it up so I get to know everyone. For lunch we either walk to the food court next door, go to the food trucks, or maybe walk to burgers or something. Rarely we use a car to get lunch, but if we do, it's taco day. Some people (starting to be me a couple times a week) go to the gym that is just next door to get a quick workout in during lunch.

After lunch it's more typical developer stuff and sometimes a meeting with more engineers to talk about overall goals and development practices. Sometimes it's a meeting with designers about upcoming champions and what tech they might need. Every now and then we go on coffee runs downstairs at the coffee shop if we want something fancy, like an iced mocha.

Around the end of the day, people start prairie dogging up over their desks (It's ok for me to use this word, because I'm Texan) to look for people for live games. Others go to the Korean internet cafe we have on the 3rd floor to play with all the PCs there. It's really hard to go home because I like what I do so much, and even if I'm not programming, it's fun to hang out and play games.

I hope that helps!
This was pretty insightful. =D

jimmy the hand

07-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Rustling View Post
So what you're saying is that you have the best job in the universe and 90% of the teens of the playerbase aspire to do what you do?
I have a *****.

Pilige

07-24-2012

Quote:
Hi. It is defiantly a casual dress work environment. Jeans and T shirts are the norm. Some people dress up a little more and that is totally cool as well.

My typical day starts with a bowl a cereal while watching some live games on the spectator mode monitors. Then I get a cup of coffee and get to checking emails and starting my programmin day and greeting people as they come in. I listen to the animators talk about the cool stuff they're doing and make sure that if they have any tech needs they are on our radar so we can support them in time. At 11:30 my team meets up and we go over the done and upcoming tasks in about 15 min.

After that I get back to my coding and then go to lunch, usually with other office people. I try to change it up so I get to know everyone. For lunch we either walk to the food court next door, go to the food trucks, or maybe walk to burgers or something. Rarely we use a car to get lunch, but if we do, it's taco day. Some people (starting to be me a couple times a week) go to the gym that is just next door to get a quick workout in during lunch.

After lunch it's more typical developer stuff and sometimes a meeting with more engineers to talk about overall goals and development practices. Sometimes it's a meeting with designers about upcoming champions and what tech they might need. Every now and then we go on coffee runs downstairs at the coffee shop if we want something fancy, like an iced mocha.

Around the end of the day, people start prairie dogging up over their desks (It's ok for me to use this word, because I'm Texan) to look for people for live games. Others go to the Korean internet cafe we have on the 3rd floor to play with all the PCs there. It's really hard to go home because I like what I do so much, and even if I'm not programming, it's fun to hang out and play games.

I hope that helps!

As a programming student at East Carolina University, what you describe and what some of the reps from RedHat have said about their office life... I'm fairly certain I'm in the right major . Just one more question, what language do you primarily work in? Java, C++, Python, Ruby?

Metalopol

07-24-2012

Quote:

I hope that helps!
Im Jelly

Glarolar

07-24-2012

bump for more riot days!

VriskaSpider

07-24-2012

Quote:

I hope that helps!
*Dreamy eyed* One day~

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

07-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASinisterCarrot View Post
Sounds fun... Does anyone there play normal pvp instead of ranked?
If they're poking their head up for random folk, I'd assume the vast majority of them are playing normals or customs.

NitroNatalie

07-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilige View Post
As a programming student at East Carolina University, what you describe and what some of the reps from RedHat have said about their office life... I'm fairly certain I'm in the right major . Just one more question, what language do you primarily work in? Java, C++, Python, Ruby?
I'm curious as well. We write most of our apps for Adobe AIR (same as the LoL client) and we use mostly Flex/AS3.