A day in the life of a Riot employee?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pizza on a Bun

07-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
I don't think anyone can answer an odds question. Can you be more specific than programmer? We have many programmers. Front end, back-end, web, game, server. They all have different needs from an applicant.

I don't mean to be glib when I send these next links. They are the working at Riot and senior game engineer links from the Riot website. I'm posting the links because they have the real things we are looking for.

http://www.riotgames.com/careers
http://www.riotgames.com/careers/senior-game-engineer

Anyone who wants to work at Riot should read that as a start.
I still have a lot of learning to do right now. I've taken two classes so far and I'm only in high school. I haven't really gotten into C++ or C# at all yet, because next year that's what were going to get into. So far we've learned some basic programming languages such as HTML, Visual Basic, and Java (Greenfoot). I've really enjoyed it and I've made it a personal goal (even though there's a very slim chance of it happening) to get to work at Riot games. I think that from this post, it's made my view of the company even better.

1davidj

07-24-2012

If any of you know what its like working at Playdom, would you say its pretty similar? my brother's good friend works there and gave us a tour of the place and how stuff usually goes down, and it sounds pretty similar.

Venenum Clade

07-24-2012

interesting post

Riot Boba

Systems Engineer

07-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archparagon View Post
Im in an IT office with one other dude who likes it freezing cold and I come in everyday wearing a jacket and everyday he asks me if im cold. Who keeps an office at 68? I like mine at ~74 but hes been here longer so I stick with the jacket. After that I play a MUD (cuz this comp sux too bad for LoL) and run around on LoL forums. Anyone whos noticed me on the forums (I'm guessing not many) would notice that i post between 730am-4pm pst. When I get home I play LoL. Most of my IT work is computer imaging and since the other guy doesnt listen to me it takes all day to do one batch(~10 computers) my way gets it done in 2 hours and doesnt kill our internet (i run a closed circuit, he broadcasts over the domain). I would have stayed at my old job if it paid as much as this one.

Riot need any IT Staff that enjoy working hard and know what they are doing? Im from Sac so you guys are just a couple hours (~7) down the street from me :-). I can move.

PS I know how to do a lot more than just image. Thats what they have me doing here but I fix and troubleshoot Macs and PCs, Hardware and Software
You should apply for this:
http://www.riotgames.com/careers/it-...-administrator

HowlsAtMoon

07-24-2012

I don't qualify(other than a love for gaming), but do you happen to need an A.F. Major with a degree in physics and cryogenics experience (deep freeze Morello and thaw him out once a month for fun?), experience managing contracts worth hundreds of millions for the A.F., as well as experience on projects that even I can't know about without suddenly disappearing? If so headhunt my wife before she gets accepted to that whole astronaut thing at NASA, RIOT sounds more fun

Griftrix

Senior Animation Engineer

07-24-2012
23 of 77 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlsAtMoon View Post
I don't qualify(other than a love for gaming), but do you happen to need an A.F. Major with a degree in physics and cryogenics experience (deep freeze Morello and thaw him out once a month for fun?), experience managing contracts worth hundreds of millions for the A.F., as well as experience on projects that even I can't know about without suddenly disappearing? If so headhunt my wife before she gets accepted to that whole astronaut thing at NASA, RIOT sounds more fun
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think we currently have a cryogenics expert on staff. I'm just sayin'....

OrangedrankTG

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-24-2012

This thread is full of win and actually pretty insightful.

I wish I'd get my call back soon, I'm ready to move to California on my dime with no notice!

Doc Lestrange

07-24-2012

Quote:
Find what you are passionate about and focus on learning that. We like passionate people who are the types that make things happen. If you want to design champions, design a bunch of champions and try to figure out what makes each of our current champions good or bad. If you like coding sound systems, then be the best sound programmer there is, and learn everything you can about the state of the art, and then figure out how you can push it even farther. I think you get the idea. Passion and drive is what we love, and those types of people are always hungry to learn more and get better.
I am passionate about law. In fact, I'm graduating law school next year, yet I don't even meet the requirements for that paralegal opening you guys had (or might still have). I'm also not in the US currently, so there's that as well. I'd chop my left leg off to do legal work for a video game company that cares about its community, instead of just being another drone in big law or something. I know there isn't a question or anything in this comment, I just wanted to vent a little.

HowlsAtMoon

07-24-2012

Quote:
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think we currently have a cryogenics expert on staff. I'm just sayin'....
Well there ya go, she could use liquid nitrogen to keep your drinks cold! And um...err...she could introduce weekly P.T., RIOT would be the most physically fit gaming company out there! Other than that, I guess a cryo expert isn't needed, unless you wanted your own satellite at RIOT (cryo factors into that a lot, go figure).

Dead Future

07-24-2012

Quote:
We have some people monitoring the game, up-time, bug forums, and stability around the clock. They work in shifts.
Off topic, and not to be impolite, but I find the alleged bug forum presence quite scarce.

Is it really checked that often? Every time I come across a legitimate issue, I'm more accustomed to ignoring it and waiting for it/them to just magically get fixed rather than make an effort to post something that is seemingly being trivialized/neglected/ignored.

I know you may not know specifics about that for sure, too, but it's really disheartening from a player perspective to voice unattended concerns.