AFKs during champion selection

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

jPseudo

07-24-2012

I'm getting really annoyed at having teammates assigned to a random champ if they haven't picked one by the time the lobby timer's up. If they wanted to play random, they'd hit the random button. If they don't want to play random, there's a bigger problem that a random champ assignment will only aggrevate.

Treating someone who's afk like someone who's just indecisive is not a good solution. If they left before choosing, who's to say they'll be back any time soon? Several times, I've been left dealing with a teammate who's sitting on the platform for the first few minutes, and who returns to find a champ and summoner spells he didn't want to play with. He's both behind in levels *and* complaining to me about it, like it's not his fault for leaving to make a sandwich while I'm trying to help make a good team comp.

Treating someone with connection issues this way is just the same. Sure "the game won't start without them", but when it does start, they're going to be in the same boat as the afk guy, only additionally frustrated because they've got a random champ *and* their computer's misbehaving somehow. The rest of the game will be filled with excuses and complaints about both.

Even worse, though, is that I am forced to either play a game with these guys (who've already decided they're going to lose), or queue dodge and waste another 5 minutes of my time. Despite the fact that I was in my chair and ready to go when I clicked the button that said I was starting a game, they get to go right back into the queue, while I sit around thinking about what they've done.

I'd really like to see a better solution to this problem. Perhaps if they haven't chosen, we could all go back into the queue? I'd much rather wait for another team to be arranged for me than to take a penalty or go through with that game.

DoubleMark

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-24-2012

Totally agreed. Even better: drop them from the queue back to the team assembly screen, so that they can hit "play" again when they're definitely back at their computer. That ensures no one loses out.

Having a random champion on the team *at best* adversely affects team comp, and choosing team comp is a critical part of the game. At worst, the player AFKs for some portion of the game - no argument that that's bad. However, the way I see it, this differs from a reportable AFKing offense in two ways:

1> It's not reportable. There's no proof that they AFKed and got a random champ if they come back in time for the game and grin and bear it.

2> It's entirely preventable! I understand why if someone is griefing I still have to finish the game with them - it's too late to fix it at that point. But in this case, we know what's going to happen *before* the game. Why even start that game?

It seems perfectly fair to me to punt the AFK player from the queue and find new teams. Maybe give them a queue dodge penalty, maybe not - I'm not sure that's important, except perhaps to prevent trolling by people who get in queue and never play a game. But making *me* queue dodge or play at a disadvantage because another player's not ready seems like a non-ideal solution. To put it another way, the team-finding algorithm made a mistake here: it says it found a team for me to play with, but it only found an incomplete team. It had no way of knowing, and that's fine, but it's far better to punt that game than to make me play with that incomplete team.

I am absolutely happy to wait another team-finding-time to avoid playing a game at a disadvantage. Making me wait a queue dodge time and then a team finding time is poor. I feel like this has been happening more lately, but it's just anecdata.

musicalmoose

07-24-2012

This sounds like a really good idea! I'd love to see a system like this implemented; it'd minimize a lot of frustration.

Reconsul

07-25-2012

How about you set 5 preferred champions per rune page so you don't random AP Garen ever?

dTracy

07-28-2012

You need to read my suggestion for this at http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2332827. I am frustrated for the same reasons, but we should empower the other members to also vote when someone is not working together or trolling. It would more for new players too.