How to train at gaming

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Deathwish546

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etherimp View Post
Something more specific to you: Learn to jungle.

Junglers and AP Carries are the most influential positions early->mid game, as you can help the remainder of your team get fed... Unlike ADC, where you have to depend upon too many other factors. If your Mid and Top lane feed jungler/mid, they can come down and roflstomp you and there's not much you can do about it, even if you're beating your opponent in CS and overall winning your lane.

Of course, as ADC you have better late game scaling, but that doesn't help your team if everyone except you gets shut down early game. If you don't have someone to protect you, enemies just bulldoze your team and go straight for you.
But how do you propose I do that? I have ran a few games where I'm the jungler and yet I never feel as strong or as powerful as others when I see them jungle. I always feel like enemy junglers are always there waiting for me and yet I don't feel like I have that same threatening aura.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traf View Post
Its a simple suggestion but you could practice last hitting every day in a measurable way.

Run a few custom games (no bots) each day with different champs and record your cs at the end of 10 mins. Keep track how you do over time with the different champs and aim to get 95% consistently.

Sort of like how in a lot of sports you practice the basics (i.e baseball - catching and throwing) more then anything else.
Well without bots or anything and if I'm the only person in the lane then I can usually hit near 100% CS, I've been playing AD for a while so if I can be proud of anything it's my ability to CS with different champs.

Deathwish546

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerellG View Post
Do you watch Day9? He's mostly about starcraft 2 right now, but his commentary is applicable to just about any style of game. Here's one of the best dailies he did:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-9VLVkm8R4
I do watch his Day[9] actually, I'm also a below average SC2 player and his dailies often entertains me and teaches me quite a bit about SC2. I do take quite a lot from his segments.

Alexfrog

07-25-2012

You need to analyze your games and look for your mistakes, and try to fix them. Never blame or flame others, look at what you can do better. Just playing all day will help some, but focusing (possibly with friends/teammates/better players than you) on what things you need to imporve, and then working on them, will help more.

When youre watching replays, try to identify what the pros are doing that you arent.

Deathwish546

07-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexfrog View Post
You need to analyze your games and look for your mistakes, and try to fix them. Never blame or flame others, look at what you can do better. Just playing all day will help some, but focusing (possibly with friends/teammates/better players than you) on what things you need to imporve, and then working on them, will help more.

When youre watching replays, try to identify what the pros are doing that you arent.
But what exactly should I look for? I do watch my replays and try to find spots where my decision making was poor. Maybe I should've headed in this direction instead of there, maybe I could've juked here to escape, maybe I could've done this to get to his carry in that teamfight. But aside from small details in my decision making, what other major things can I look for?

Etherimp

07-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathwish546 View Post
But how do you propose I do that? I have ran a few games where I'm the jungler and yet I never feel as strong or as powerful as others when I see them jungle. I always feel like enemy junglers are always there waiting for me and yet I don't feel like I have that same threatening aura.
You lack that threatening aura because you are not confident playing the jungle because you do not know a lot of the "experiential" knowledge that comes with jungling for a good amount of time.

Contact me on League, if you'd like.. I could introduce you to a lot of jungling concepts which aren't usually discussed in guides or even in forum posts. You may see them mentioned here and there but they're mostly things you pick up through experience. I can give you a head start on this.

Mind you - I'm not the BEST jungler.. But I am a rather experienced jungler, and I can at least help you get up to speed in the jungle.

Outside of that, you will simply have to pick up a few junglers and play them in normal games for a while to get used to them.

Deathwish546

07-27-2012

What is the right balance between jungling and ganking though? I often find myself either sitting in a bush waiting for too long for the enemy to overextend or I find myself jungling too much and then when I'm at say the top part of jungle their bot pushes so I rush there and by the time I get there they've already backed off.

Harbezat

07-28-2012

Practice Practice Practice does work but I have actually found that working out daily also has helped me improve in my play and my attitude. Of course I do not know you and don't know if you do work out but if not give it a try maybe try 30 mins and then play some games

Tip: chocolate milk taste better after working out

BillyTheBanana

07-28-2012

Don't look for incremental changes in your play, look for opportunities for dramatic shifts. Go into a fight instead of backing out or vice versa. Farm your lane instead of roaming or vice versa. Don't just get one more ward than you would have, get five more. Etc. When you're watching a pro game, periodically pause and ask yourself exactly what you would do next. Chances are, the pro will do something dramatically different.

Asderition

07-28-2012

I am no pro, i have my faults and i struggle to keep cool, but something i have taken the time to do is learning ratios, ranges and stats. Mathematics and calculations to accurately judge an enemies power, i might as it had helped a lot.

Deathwish546

07-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez0 Harbezat View Post
Practice Practice Practice does work but I have actually found that working out daily also has helped me improve in my play and my attitude. Of course I do not know you and don't know if you do work out but if not give it a try maybe try 30 mins and then play some games

Tip: chocolate milk taste better after working out
What aspects of the game do you find it has helped you with? And what kind of work out did you do? I know my friend often goes out for a run or a jog before doing anything and before he sleeps and it makes his day feel great. What do you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTheBanana View Post
Don't look for incremental changes in your play, look for opportunities for dramatic shifts. Go into a fight instead of backing out or vice versa. Farm your lane instead of roaming or vice versa. Don't just get one more ward than you would have, get five more. Etc. When you're watching a pro game, periodically pause and ask yourself exactly what you would do next. Chances are, the pro will do something dramatically different.
Well yes I do the second part about watching and thinking what I would do compared to pros. But I don't understand about "dramatic shifts". Cause the things you seem to talk about are certain moments in gameplays and decision making. Whereas incremental changes seem to relate to more of overall gameplay rather than specific moments in games. So can you elaborate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asderition View Post
I am no pro, i have my faults and i struggle to keep cool, but something i have taken the time to do is learning ratios, ranges and stats. Mathematics and calculations to accurately judge an enemies power, i might as it had helped a lot.
You can calculate all of the damage taking into account armor/mr with armor pen, reduction, % pen and % reduction? O_o