RADS error due to University blocking

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

leVaporeon

07-23-2012

Hey guys,

Im an avid LoL player and I like to play it alot when I have spare time. I am currently at university and I have found out that I can't play the game due to the universities security. Please note that I have only a basic level of knowledge when it comes to unblocking ports, and internet protocols in general.

Firstly, I can play this game absolutely fine when Im at home, but I can't play it when Im studying at university, so surely it is related to the fact that the university has blocked crucial ports that are needed to communicate with the game.

My problem is a RADS error ("could not connect to the HTTP server" etc.) And I have been looking around on the forums/FAQs. I understand that in order to fix this I will have to contact the universities IT support and request them to unblock certain ports. Now the university states that the internet is for academic uses etc etc. but my friend managed to get them to unblock the ports for steam. So hopefully they will do the same.

As I understand the ports I will need unblocked are:
5000 - 5500 UDP - League of Legends Game Client
8393 - 8400 TCP - Patcher and Maestro
2099 TCP - PVP.Net
5223 TCP - PVP.Net
5222 TCP - PVP.Net
80 TCP - HTTP Connections
443 TCP - HTTPS Connections
8088 Spectator Mode

My question is. What would be the bare minimum ports required to unblock so that I can just play the game (no spec mode, no chat etc.)

Thanks for reading.

Gumurak

07-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by leVaporeon View Post
Hey guys,

Im an avid LoL player and I like to play it alot when I have spare time. I am currently at university and I have found out that I can't play the game due to the universities security. Please note that I have only a basic level of knowledge when it comes to unblocking ports, and internet protocols in general.

Firstly, I can play this game absolutely fine when Im at home, but I can't play it when Im studying at university, so surely it is related to the fact that the university has blocked crucial ports that are needed to communicate with the game.

My problem is a RADS error ("could not connect to the HTTP server" etc.) And I have been looking around on the forums/FAQs. I understand that in order to fix this I will have to contact the universities IT support and request them to unblock certain ports. Now the university states that the internet is for academic uses etc etc. but my friend managed to get them to unblock the ports for steam. So hopefully they will do the same.

As I understand the ports I will need unblocked are:
5000 - 5500 UDP - League of Legends Game Client
8393 - 8400 TCP - Patcher and Maestro
2099 TCP - PVP.Net
5223 TCP - PVP.Net
5222 TCP - PVP.Net
80 TCP - HTTP Connections
443 TCP - HTTPS Connections
8088 Spectator Mode

My question is. What would be the bare minimum ports required to unblock so that I can just play the game (no spec mode, no chat etc.)

Thanks for reading.
There is no way possible to answer this question without knowing the network setup for your university. And they aren;t going to hand that out. The only recourse you have is through a paid vpn service, wireless hotspot off your phone. Or appeal to the network administration for persmission to play.

leVaporeon

07-24-2012

okay thanks. I assumed that would be inevitable. But thanks for the reply