Low ELO laning thought process help

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

D3boy510

07-23-2012

First things first, I am a VERY low ELO <1000; and while I know why I am here I am trying to make the best of it by working out a few kinks in my gameplay and my perspective on how lanes are meant to be played. So I am going to just post what I think and hopefully some one can tell me what is wrong and how to improve it.

TL;DR: Low ELO tell me where I am wrong and can improve.

Top - When I play top lane I try to get as much farm as possible, while holding my lane and denying my opponent farm. Note that I dont try to take the tower until around 15 min or when just obvious to do so (eg. After jungler and/or mid counter gank). Essentially what I want to do is allow my jungler to either farm or gank the other lanes as much as possible.

Mid - Playing mid for me is rare so this is probably the place I can improve the most. My mentality here is almost the opposite of top instead of trying to make my lane seemingly stalemate while farming more, I almost always want my lane to be pushed towards my tower as most AP's I play can clear a wave fast enough to not lose any to tower, and my jungler has an easier time ganking because unlike top I would prefer mid dead over starved. Also while playing mid if it seems appropriate I will try to gank other lane mainly bot and steal a buff or two on occasion.

Bot AD - This is the lane I play the most and while normally I am pretty passive just last hitting and poking when they get too close to deter diving, as of recently I have been being more and more aggressive but I still am pretty passive on when I will pull back on a gank. The big thing about when I play AD vs other lanes is that I FARM ALOT not uncommon for me to have 200 farm at 30 minutes, I think I farm to a point that it is affecting teamfights. For example when I play bot I will not go past middle lane for almost any reason before around 25 minutes I would much rather farm and push the tower when my lane opponent leaves as I feel weak if I don't farm alot. Even when I do head towards team fight I always try to kill the non-buff creep camps, I try to make sure that if I am not in a fight I am farming. However while I can see this style might hurt my team a bit early on the farm advantage that I have over my lane start to snowball disabling the opposing AD and I feel that this sort of balances my lack of presence in teamfights early on

Support - I just suck at this role REALLY BAD as much as I try I can't seem to find the right balance between wards and getting items to help out elsewhere I usually end up forgoing alot of ward in favor of items and I feel this is bad when I think about but in game It just seems to always be the best option. Whenever I try to force my self to buy wards I feel weaker then I should be.

Jungle - For this role I usually just to keep pressure on lanes when I am not killing camps. I try to be okay with the fact that I dont HAVE to kill someone when I gank I just need to push them back while not dying but my teammates always complain.

If you make it this far thank you for reading my wall of text please give me your input on how to improve

VoiceOfUnreason

07-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3boy510 View Post
Bot AD - This is the lane I play the most and while normally I am pretty passive just last hitting and poking when they get too close to deter diving, as of recently I have been being more and more aggressive but I still am pretty passive on when I will pull back on a gank. The big thing about when I play AD vs other lanes is that I FARM ALOT not uncommon for me to have 200 farm at 30 minutes, I think I farm to a point that it is affecting teamfights. For example when I play bot I will not go past middle lane for almost any reason before around 25 minutes I would much rather farm and push the tower when my lane opponent leaves as I feel weak if I don't farm alot. Even when I do head towards team fight I always try to kill the non-buff creep camps, I try to make sure that if I am not in a fight I am farming. However while I can see this style might hurt my team a bit early on the farm advantage that I have over my lane start to snowball disabling the opposing AD and I feel that this sort of balances my lack of presence in teamfights early on
My concern with playing so passively is that your team can easily snowball behind while you are farming up your build. If your teammates noticed that you were farming well, and could play conservatively to extend the game until you were ready to wreck face, and had the skills to keep you alive while you melt the entire enemy team on your own... well, if they could do all those things reliably, they probably wouldn't be in <1000 ELO.

My feeling is that you need to start figuring out how to snowball your farm - use your item advantage to pressure the enemy AD into making a mistake, forcing one or both opponents out of lane to claim dragon, taking time out of lane to help pressure elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3boy510 View Post
Support - I just suck at this role REALLY BAD as much as I try I can't seem to find the right balance between wards and getting items to help out elsewhere I usually end up forgoing alot of ward in favor of items and I feel this is bad when I think about but in game It just seems to always be the best option. Whenever I try to force my self to buy wards I feel weaker then I should be.
I felt the same way, until watched Nhat running around with 15 wards in his inventory. After that, I got over it.

Two other ideas I would add here - you are not only responsible for warding, but also for tracking whether the opponents are warding; ie looking at their inventory on a regular basis to see if they are carrying wards around. Share that information with your team, see if you can coordinate an Oracles Elixir on someone likely to stay alive, etc.

Additionally, stay aware that at some point, you'll want to switch your loyalty from the AD carry to whichever champ is going to win the game for you. IE: concentrate on helping to keep the best player on your team alive

Kirielis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-23-2012

Quote:
running around with 15 wards in his inventory
replace "15" with "5" when playing a nonsupport role until you have a 6 item build.

Tostky

07-24-2012

OP's 2nd account

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoiceOfUnreason View Post
My feeling is that you need to start figuring out how to snowball your farm - use your item advantage to pressure the enemy AD into making a mistake, forcing one or both opponents out of lane to claim dragon, taking time out of lane to help pressure elsewhere.
I already do this. thing is most of the time I lose it is because the rest of my team loses a tower and just derps the rest of the game not sure what to do. But thanks for the support role tip I'll keep it in mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirielis View Post
replace "15" with "5" when playing a nonsupport role until you have a 6 item build.
hmm 5 seems a bit much but I will try 3

ltn2150

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-24-2012

actually taking out the turet top lane by 15min is bad cuz then u allow them to freefarm and u might overextend... top should be taken out last

D3boy510

07-27-2012

Ok so the thing about support and the ward I dont feel weak anymore and that has help me improve ALOT. Although I do die more then I should the position is puts my carry in is well worth it. After a bot tower dies regardless of whos it was I leave lane let my carry solo farm an ward EVERYWHERE

Asderition

07-28-2012

You seem to know what you are doing. One thing i will add that is critical to winning games: wards. They are your best friend. Ward no matter what. Moba has a kick ass guide for wards. It is imperative to winning matches. map awareness is the thing everyone can work on, knowing where the enemy is, predicting or seeing the enemies is pretty much critical.

Kirielis

07-28-2012

Looking at your ADC section: the question to ask yourself is, am I more of a liability or can I contribute enough to outweigh that? For example, Corki with a rushed BC is definitely able to contribute more to a mid-game fight than his team risks by having him in play. On the other hand, Tristana past level 8 and before she finishes IE (we're talking low elo, yes?) deals about 0 damage in a fight and drops like wet tissue paper. Her team is better served by her ignoring the fights and farming everything, and she should inform them accordingly and request that they not full-on engage, especially if an allied tower isn't around to help. (This is assuming a constant Mexican standoff in mid lane, or teams with tendencies to play long drawn-out fights where players might die early and then run back to the fight location after respawning to keep fighting - which is actually just a Mexican standoff with deaths involved. If that is not the case, you should be able to join your team for fights while still farming everything.)

And positioning. You talk a lot about farming and nothing at all about positioning. I don't care that your team says focus the squishy. I don't care that YOU are telling the team to focus the squishy. That's all well and good, it's their job. YOUR job is to hit whoever you can hit from as far back you can safely hit from. If that means buying early LW and attacking Amumu, then rush that LW. You do not have the luxury of choosing who to focus.

Azukai

07-28-2012

For the mid lane, depending on the champ, but if it has good ganking possibilities then instead of creating a stalemate, push your lane into their turret and use the down time to gank either top or bot. This works best with high mobility mids like ahri or mids that bring high cc, annie, morg ect. Another think i like to do as mid is keep both sides of the river near the wraiths camp warded to prevent ganks and provide vision if the enemy mid tries to gank other lanes.

This of course only works if you are dominating the land or are a champ who can really shove it like anivia.