Is this a good fan curve?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lord of the Funk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-23-2012

I used to run Skyrim on all Ultra with my GPU running at a pretty hot (to me, at least, this is the first time I'm working with an aftermarket GPU, so I'm not sure) 73 C.

Now with this new fan curve, the one that I made, I run it at 57 C. However, is this fan curve too aggressive? I read that a fan curve that is too aggressive can have the fans die out well before the GPU itself is outdated. I'd really rather that not happen, GPUs aren't all that cheap for me. I didn't expect THAT drastic a change, nor was that the intent. Honestly I was happy with games running in the 60s.

btw for reference i have a Sapphire HD 6870

help out a noob that's new to computer customization?

Lord of the Funk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-23-2012

bump

Sambrosia

07-23-2012

You would probably be better off asking this on a site like Tom's Hardware or some other popular site that deals with pc hardware and whatnot.

Solaris17

Recruiter

07-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserPirate View Post
I used to run Skyrim on all Ultra with my GPU running at a pretty hot (to me, at least, this is the first time I'm working with an aftermarket GPU, so I'm not sure) 73 C.

Now with this new fan curve, the one that I made, I run it at 57 C. However, is this fan curve too aggressive? I read that a fan curve that is too aggressive can have the fans die out well before the GPU itself is outdated. I'd really rather that not happen, GPUs aren't all that cheap for me. I didn't expect THAT drastic a change, nor was that the intent. Honestly I was happy with games running in the 60s.

btw for reference i have a Sapphire HD 6870

help out a noob that's new to computer customization?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambrosia View Post
You would probably be better off asking this on a site like Tom's Hardware or some other popular site that deals with pc hardware and whatnot.
solaris of techpowerup here. that fan curve is ok but i would try to make it a little smoother instead of 8 or so steps try making it 4 or 5. aggressive fan curves will not kill your fan they are ment to auto throttle all the time. you should see some of the default nvidia ones from the early 8 series those ramps were brutal.

make the early steps very wide and the last step wide jumping maybe 20% do the ones near 40-60 smaller that way your not rising and dropping thousands of RPM for a 4 change in temp.