What Do You Think Lore Needs?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

epicz753

09-22-2014

With all the commotion about the lore reboot, I've thought about how we, the players who enjoy lore and those who don't, think what lore really needs. Riot has promised much more lore and stories following the removal of the IOW, and above all, the connection of lore to the game and the players. Many players feel a lot of hate to the new lore, and many players also think it is a good thing. In the same respect, the old lore didn't provide us the amount of story we needed following the end of the Journal of Justice.

Because of this, I'd like to ask the following questions:
-What was your view on the old lore, Ideas of the IOW, the Journal of Justice, Champion Judgements?
-What did you think these things really lacked, or had that was unnecesary?
-What are you thoughts on removing the IOW?
-What do you feel about the lore we've been given so far in New Lore, Shurima Event, the lore on PBE?
-What is you opinion on the removal of the connection of the lore to the game, and above all, the removal of our connection to the lore?

EpicSandwichMan7

09-22-2014

Don't mean to sound like a noob, but what's IOW?

epicz753

09-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSandwichMan7 View Post
IOW is the Institute of War.

LordHippoman

09-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSandwichMan7 View Post
Institute Of War

-What was your view on the old lore, Ideas of the IOW, the Journal of Justice, Champion Judgements?

I loved all of that. The IOW was a unique element to the story that kept it afloat in a sea of similar fantasy stories.

-What did you think these things really lacked, or had that was unnecesary?

Not much comes to mind but Phone *** Janna, to be honest. Also the conclusion to the Kalamanda arc was weak and felt anticlimactic.

-What are you thoughts on removing the IOW?

I can see the reasoning for doing it. I don't think it's worth retconning over, though. I feel like it's the heart of the story, and gutting it means tearing out the soul of the Lore. League Of Legends now has no League Of Legends.

-What do you feel about the lore we've been given so far in New Lore, Shurima Event, the lore on PBE?

I like Shurima. I like Azir. I like that Sivir is finally doing something after 4 years of near total irrelevance to anything. I'll get over Xerath. I don't like the shortening of the Lore on the client, and I'm wary of further retcons. (Grand General Swain, please)

-What is you opinion on the removal of the connection of the lore to the game, and above all, the removal of our connection to the lore?

I never felt "connected" to my summoner or whatever. I never thought of "LordHippoman" as a character in the universe. All the stuff about "you ARE the summoner" never really convinced me, to be honest, because I don't tend to really get immersed in games. But I understand people did, and I feel bad for them. I don't like that the Lore isn't connected to the game anymore, but I think it's understandable, with the millions of League games that happen every day. It just took a little suspension of disbelief.

I think, above all, Lore needs consistency. We need updates more than once a year. We need to have new champions with connections to the plot. And most of all, we need to be able to know that the things that happen in the story matter, and won't be retconned away within a year.

epicz753

09-22-2014

Ok, so you really like the ongoing process of progressive lore, and like the connections champions have to other champions, and the plot?

epicz753

09-22-2014

bump

Rainbowgasm

09-23-2014

Riot's problem with old lore: Omnipotent summoners who can force everyone to get along makes for boring story line. Also the idea of champions being controlled by summoners makes their back story seem pointless because in the end, they are all just puppets.

Riot's solution: remove the league of legends and summoners.

Communities complaint 1: all the champions will just destroy the world then!

Look at Marvel and DC comics, there are plenty of super heroes and villains who can, and are constantly trying to raise hell, and super heroes are always constantly stopping them.

Another complaint might be that the power difference between champions can only be solved by something like the league of legends. The league has all powerful champions like Xereth and Nasus competing with much lesser beings like Garen and Katarina, but then you also have DC and marvel doing the same thing. Darksied and Superman sharing the same universe as Bat man and Deathstroke never seemed to be a problem for them, nor did Galactus and Hulk sharing a universe with Punisher and black widow.

Communities complaint 2: the new lores look unfinished!

because they are.

Chromatic Eagle

09-23-2014

The summoners weren't that powerful, or smart at times.

Villains in comics are constantly defeated, arrested, killed, redeemed, and come back to life. These things annoy those who aren't into comics. It also relies on the ability to continue a plot point, something that Riot is having difficulty doing.

epicz753

09-23-2014

I'm currently working on a project to make some fan-made lore, so learning about all these ideas is helping me think up of new ideas. The idea that the League of Legends was too powerful might be right, but at the same time, people can make an argument that the powerful entities on Runeterra can easily out-power the league.
http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...1#post49810391

Chromatic Eagle

09-23-2014

It doesn't even take powerful people. Assassins and hunters have gotten the drop on summoners before.