4 Reasons we need Ranked Dominion (and won't get it)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

fizzlebeef

07-23-2012

They will never implement ranked on a fundamentally flawed game mode.

Right now they're doing something similar to an employer cutting back hours more and more - trying to force an employee to quit. Then when the Dom pop. gets low enough for them to not catch a lot of flak - it will be removed. Most likely after they have another game mode in the works to promote.

Zeoroot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-23-2012

I like the part about setting the houses of SR players on fir...your style, yeah.

NamKim

07-23-2012

Normally, I come into these thread and try to pacify everyone by saying stuff like RiotNome is here and Riot cares and blah blah...

But this rant was executed too well for me to say stuff like that.

So, all I will say is...
Riot pls
Vesh pls
Parrots
Penguins
Leona
Zyra is a very unimaginative champion
Nerf Irelia
Armored Bears are Awesome
[RiotNome Summoning Ritual]
Tons of Damage
Trinity Force
Surrendering should be 3/2
Good Chinese Food
Epic Beards
Murder Bridge
ARAM
Edit: Particles!!!

Okay, now I am sure I will at least get someone's attention.

Anyways, I agree that the one of the major problems with Dominion is that too many people use it to test champions out instead of actually taking it as a serious game mode. Which implies that they take Summoner's Rift seriously while Dominion is just a joke. With that mentality, it is hard to portray Dominion as a serious game mode for any new players. When I play with friends, I cannot even convince them to play Dominion because they think it is a joke. They respond with "we're not in the mood for trolling today." Just the addition of ranked symbolizes it is an actual game mode. Although, that is not to say I do not see the negatives to this as well.

Mentality is very important. Remember before PulseFire Ezreal, everyone complained that Ezreal needed a buff. After he was released and everyone started using him, everyone cried that he needed a nerf even though nothing changed. FotM is a better example. One day, a champion is seen to be useless and people cry that s/he needs to be reworked to even be viable. Then some pro player comes along and dominates with the champion and suddenly everyone thinks that champion is one of the most OP champs in the game. Nothing about that champion changed, people's opinion changed because they are too lazy to take anything serious in the beginning until someone else tells them to take it seriously. Everyone said that Pre-buffed Evelynn was useless and just a troll champion. Then we see someone like RiotNome who considered Evelynn to be his "main" and found a strategy that suited her needs. I had friends tell me that Evelynn is a troll champion...yet they never even played with her.

As for popularity, we can do stuff to increase traffic to Dominion. But all of that stuff will be on the micro-level. We need Riot's help to get traffic at the Macro-level. Ranked might be part of the solution, but it is only PART of the solution.

Zirzul

07-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamKim View Post
Normally, I come into these thread and try to pacify everyone by saying stuff like RiotNome is here and Riot cares and blah blah...

But this rant was executed too well for me to say stuff like that.

So, all I will say is...
Riot pls
Vesh pls
Parrots
Penguins
Leona
Zyra is a very unimaginative champion
Nerf Irelia
Armored Bears are Awesome
[RiotNome Summoning Ritual]
Tons of Damage
Trinity Force
Surrendering should be 3/2
Good Chinese Food
Epic Beards
Murder Bridge
ARAM

Okay, now I am sure I will at least get someone's attention.

Anyways, I agree that the one of the major problems with Dominion is that too many people use it to test champions out instead of actually taking it as a serious game mode. Which implies that they take Summoner's Rift seriously while Dominion is just a joke. With that mentality, it is hard to portray Dominion as a serious game mode for any new players. When I play with friends, I cannot even convince them to play Dominion because they think it is a joke. They respond with "we're not in the mood for trolling today." Just the addition of ranked symbolizes it is an actual game mode. Although, that is not to say I do not see the negatives to this as well.

As for popularity, we can do stuff to increase traffic to Dominion. But all of that stuff will be on the micro-level. We need Riot's help to get traffic at the Macro-level. Ranked might be part of the solution, but it is only PART of the solution.
You forgot to mention particles. You can't forget about the particles.

NamKim

07-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirzul View Post
You forgot to mention particles. You can't forget about the particles.
Fixed

Redenbacher

07-23-2012

This rant deserves a gold star.

MilesMcStyles

07-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gļo View Post
They will never implement ranked on a fundamentally flawed game mode.

Right now they're doing something similar to an employer cutting back hours more and more - trying to force an employee to quit.
I doubt Riot will want players to quit. If anything, they would want these players to go back to Summoner's Rift. Which won't happen, cause Summoner's Rift is garbage. If farming-simulator-rift becomes the only game mode, I'll quit this game entirely for Smite.

Dominion Players will never be convinced farming is skill. I'll play this mode over SR as long as it exists.

MMKH

07-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDru View Post
Yes... YES.
The sad reality that blind pick is basically tryhard ranked without bans with mirror mode enabled.

HaIfhearted

07-23-2012

Definitely gonna give you a +1 for, if nothing else, good writing.

Ranked Dominion would be a dream come true, and would certainly make me a happy little summoner.

MajorUrsa

07-23-2012

So much god**** yes in this thread.