4 Reasons we need Ranked Dominion (and won't get it)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AstraeusRasgriz

07-23-2012

Hello again, beautiful people of planet Dominion. It's time to rant again, but this time I think I'll mix things up and rant about something that we should all be able to agree with. No, it's not about all of the horrible things we'd all like to do to Zyra... but if given the opportunity, I could probably come up with some very sexually expletive monologues dedicated to her preview art alone. Good job Riot, you may suck at promoting your new game mode, but you can certainly promote a plant-sorceress-forest-thing's hour-glass figure. I'm gonna need five minutes before we continue.

Anyway, I've come up with some reasons why we need Ranked Dominion, and I hope that one day a Riot employee will take the time to read it, and then he'll make it his life's crusade to provide us with a competitive environment for Dominion outside of just tourneys and the forums. Worst case scenario, I waste an hour of my time that I could have otherwise spent raging at some poor guy who wanted to bottom lane Sivir and got the ever living **** kicked out of him by a bot-lane Urgot. Nobody listens, but Sivir players are the worst at listening.

#1: Ranked Dominion - A place to get Serious

If you read my last two rants, some things about me should have been made painfully apparent. I hate people who don't play each game to win after a certain bracket, and I'm mind-blowingly gorgeous. While most people probably wouldn't believe me, I do understand where these 'for fun' people are coming from. It's annoying that I can't learn a new champion without completely putting my team at risk, and it's a pain that I have to maintain a smurf account because I don't want to completely ruin my match making when playing with friends who are... well, we'll just call them Farmville players and let the obvious implications seep through the monitor. You know what else is seeping through your monitors? Low dose radiation. Happy cancer.

If we had a Ranked Dominion mode, there'd be a place to play where you can treat each game like it matters, and we'd have a different place to try out new champions without pissing each other off when one guy wants to actually win the game, and another guy wants to try out AD Amumu(for fun I assume, not because he hates humanity). I can't help but read my earlier rants and see how much of the wrist cutting and bed-wetting could have been avoided if I had a mode to queue for where everyone would supposedly give a ****. Don't tell anyone about the bed-wetting please.

Look, I know I made a lot of enemies when I told everyone that they needed to stop having fun with their non-viable champion picks and that playing 'for fun' is fine until you screw your entire team by acting like a jack ass, but let's look at this from another perspective. If I was making those kinds of rants on a SR board, the number one piece of advice I would have gotten would be to go seek psychiatric help(done). Number two would have been to play ranked SR where people take the games more seriously. So, in retrospect, all those rants really did was serve as giant walls of "WE NEED RANKED DOMINION, RIOT". You're welcome.

#2: 6 Bans = 6 ******* Cheesers off the table.

If there was one thing I learned from my other threads, it's that people don't like to read anything after one phrase or sentence that annoys them. I don't know how much clearer I could have made it that I hate people who pick Cheese-mode Tier on a consistent basis as much as I hate the guy who locks in AP Fiora. Still, I don't much blame all of you. Just most of you. We all very much hate how Dominion could easily spiral into the same 10 champions if we all had the 'always-win' mentality without the 6 bans, and it's hard not to be bitter when you and your friends want to experiment with new champions and compositions, only to go up against Yorick bot, Jax, Durrius, Kassadin, Ezreal. I'm pretty sure if I ever saw all five of those champions on the enemy team, I'd sit in base and load up a game of Words with Friends. What friends, you ask? Why must you be so hurtful?!

Ranked mode comes with 6 bans, which means that you can always take the current FOTM champions out of the equation. I don't know about all of you, but 6 bans sounds about perfect to me. The only thing that sounds better is if Riot were to say they're abandoning SR in favor of supporting and developing Dominion (Probably the best joke in this whole god**** wall of text). Being able to say "I don't want to deal with ****ing Kassadin today" is a powerful gift, and while removing 6 champions doesn't necessarily cut out all of the champions we feel are too cheesy, it'd certainly go a long way. But hey there's always Draft mode, right? Well sure, if one hour queue times and an even greater rate of queue dodging sounded appealing. Unfortunately for me, I don't like spending an entire hour to find one game. Those are hours I could spend pretending to play Words with Friends, or making a rant about how I don't have friends to play Words with Friends. Either or.

#3: A competitive Dominion mode would popularize Dominion.

Let's face it, a lot of the SR crowd feels like Dominion is the casual-man's version of a MOBA, and as much as we love to set fire to their homes and beat their loved ones in front of them in retaliation, nobody is going to take Dominion seriously if Riot themselves don't take Dominion seriously. I don't know what Riot is waiting for to finally give us something we've been asking for since it launched. Perhaps they want to finally get a working in-game scoring system because.. in-game scoring system! Maybe they just don't feel that the mode is balanced enough... even though it's hard to understand how any PvP game is unbalanced when each side is given the same exact tools on an entirely symmetric map. Or maybe they just hate us? I'm gonna go with hate on this one, because it's something I'm familiar with and can understand completely.

By giving us the ranked form of Dominion, Riot would be saying in their own special way that Dominion can be taken seriously. We'd have a public ELO that we can all use to measure each other instead of relying on jabebot and random websites to give us a rough estimate. We'd actually be able to keep a straight face when telling our SR-Ranked friends where our own ratings are, and how we didn't get it from a ****ing packet sniffing decryption program.

Once we have our own form of serious mode ranked games, perhaps others who are tired of the 20 minute creep score fest followed by actual player versus player gameplay will decide to give ranked Dominion a try, and this time they won't run away screaming after getting paired with four idiots running in a giant circle constantly screaming "WHO CARES, IT'S JUST DOMINION, HUEHUEHUEHUE". Yes, they are always Brazilian.

#4: Unfortunately, we won't get it anytime soon.

Not enough people play Dominion. It already takes long enough to find matches once you reach a certain bracket. Imagine how much longer it's going to take after we divide the entire Dominion community in half between people who want to sit down for a serious game, and people who want to play around for 20 minutes before going back to the real world to have *** with girls, cure cancer, or abuse small animals.

Ranked Dominion has so much potential, but until the following for it is much larger, adding in a separate queue would only increase queue times and ruin the lopsided match making even further. This might be the actual reason we haven't gotten it yet, and maybe Riot has publicly said this in the past. I probably missed it because I was too busy getting hate *****s every time someone told me "who cares, it's not like this is ranked". Unfortunately, adding ranked Dominion might be the single best way to draw more people from SR to Dominion, and Riot probably can't do it until more people are drawn from SR. Obviously the only answer left is to kill Summoner's Rift. How? I haven't gotten that far yet, but it'd probably involve yordles, Phreak, and lots of damage. How much damage? TONS OF DAMAGE, of course.

So you. Yes you, unknown Riot Employee who frequents the Dominion forum(so obviously you have realized that Dominion is the superior man's choice). Go talk to your bosses again about Ranked Dominion, and this time don't be such a ***** about it. Make some noise, put your foot down, offer your children as minimum wage programmers and get us a game mode where I'm in my right to rage at other players for not giving a **** because we're playing Ranked now and you can take that 'for fun only' attitude and go straight to hell with it.

Please?

Orphane

07-23-2012

I like your style.

FDru

07-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraeusRasgriz View Post
I'm in my right to rage at other players for not giving a **** because we're playing Ranked now and you can take that 'for fun only' attitude and go straight to hell with it.
Yes... YES.

Hawktitan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-23-2012

I like your style

+1, wish it could be more.

MilesMcStyles

07-23-2012

Hoping for Dominion updates at the start of Season 3.

Sizmic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-23-2012

I mostly play SR right now but would be a full time dominion player if ranked finally came (its the reason I went back to SR)

IronAegis

07-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizmic View Post
I mostly play SR right now but would be a full time dominion player if ranked finally came (its the reason I went back to SR)
I don't think I can ever go back to SR

Perdonameahora

Recruiter

07-23-2012

Best wall of text i have read in a long while you sir have some very valid points.

SpiderParadox

07-23-2012

Now this is a rant I can get behind.

Bughferd

07-23-2012

While I agree with the sentiment and some of your points you don't seem like a very enjoyable person to play with.