New arguments please

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ding Xun Li

09-08-2010

I'm extremely engaged in religious debate, and honestly, I'm tired of refuting the same old arguments for religion - irreducible complexity, intelligent design, Pascal's Wager, even the odd Loki's Wager.

Can someone come up with a NEW argument for religion?

Much thanks and admiration for the guy who does so.

Jimsvaliant

09-08-2010

Irreducible complexity and intelligent design are pretty much the same thing champ.

I'm not quite sure what the purpose of this post is... you have people bothering you about your beliefs?

Kodoku

09-08-2010

I have a banana.
It is not the case that I have a banana.
Therefore the God of the bible exists.

Bet you haven't heard that one before. And if you ask any professor of logic, they'll tell you the same thing - it's a valid argument.

Jimsvaliant

09-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodoku View Post
I have a banana.
It is not the case that I have a banana.
Therefore the God of the bible exists.

Bet you haven't heard that one before. And if you ask any professor of logic, they'll tell you the same thing - it's a valid argument.
See how easy it is to grasp and hold the banana in your hand as if the banana's shape was made to be held by human hands. Also note that when you peel the banana the skin splits up and falls over your fingers almost fitting over it like a glove.

There is a divine miracle here my friends. DIVINE!

Kodoku

09-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsvaliant View Post
See how easy it is to grasp and hold the banana in your hand as if the banana's shape was made to be held by human hands. Also note that when you peel the banana the skin splits up and falls over your fingers almost fitting over it like a glove.

There is a divine miracle here my friends. DIVINE!
Ray Comfort's response to the ridicule that argument garnered - "it was completely taken out of context!"

Rex Noctis

09-09-2010

How about St. Anselm's Ontological Argument?
1.)The basic definition of "God" is "the awsomest person ever."
2.)It's more awesome to exist than to not exist.
3.)Assume God doesn't exist.
4.)He would be then be less awesome than if he existed, and therefore a non-existant God is not "the awesomest person ever."
4.)This is a contradiction, therefore the assumption in 3 is false.
5.)Therefore God exists.

Kodoku

09-09-2010

Existence is not a property of the object in question, but of the world around us. Hence while the visible universe may (or may not) be more awesome if God exists, the God that exists has the same properties as the God that doesn't.

Rex Noctis

09-09-2010

and our universe is not the most awesome thing ever, ok. I knew there was something critically wrong with that argument, but I couldn't find it. Thanks.

Lightstriker

Adjudicator

09-09-2010

It makes people happy, establishes a perfectly valid moral code, as well as a code of beliefs that helps unify a large population towards a set of common goals.

TheInfamousDrK

09-09-2010

There is one argument that is kinda fun.

Assuming that God is:

a) Omnipotent
b) Omni-benevolent
c) Omniscient

Prove God does not exist.

If an all knowing, all good, all powerful God exists, then how do we account for the existence of evil. There is no way an all good, all powerful, and all knowing God would allow evil to exist; the very existence of evil contradicts this definition of God.

However, this is not the God of any Bible, that is for sure. In the Bible, God is really not all good. He is selfish, etc.

St. Anselm's argument is meh at best. People base the argument off the idea that to be able to not exist and still be all powerful, etc, is better than to exist. Yet one cannot exist and not exist at the same time. This argument uses that contradiction to defeat the existence of God, but like I said... I don't really like it.

Finally, just to add something really relevant... please DEFINE God before you argue for or against it's existence. Nothing irks me more than someone giving an invalid argument with no information on what is being proven etc.