Most of my friends are ******bags so I'm turning to the internet for help.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

skemmast

07-22-2012

I just started playing the other day because most of my friends have been into the game for awhile. That being said, the majority of them have zero interest in teaching me and the ones that do aren't around often/try to offer 'advice' by taking my keyboard and doing everything themselves without explanation, so... I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me learn the ropes, what to buy for my character on a situational basis, etc. I've read guides so I'm not entirely clueless but when I'm playing a game I lack much-needed direction.

I have Skype and I can download Ventrilo/Mumble/TS, if preferred. Let me know if you're willing to help me suck less. Thanks!

skemmast

07-22-2012

Also, I posted this in the wrong section. Whoops.

Artemis Enterori

07-22-2012

Tutorial should help you xD

Honestly, it is hard to give advices that you will find understandable.
To win a game, you must destroy the enemy nexus. It is defended by turrets and inhibitors. Turrets do a lot of damage so do not fight them alone. Wait for minions. Both teams have minions, weak monsters that fight against each others in the lanes. You have to destroy turrets with your minions help.

When you begin the game, you should tr easy champions. The best example is master yi, you can also give a try to ryze, nasus or jax. When the game starts, you go in a lane or in the jungle. There are three lanes on the summoner's rift, the main map. Once you are there, you will have to kill the enemy minions in order to destroy the turrets. Beware of the enemy champions.

To win a game, you need gold, which is obtained by killing enemy champions, by killing minions (one advice, try to get the last hit so you get the gold). Turrets and mosters in the forst (jungle) also give gold when killed destroyed. With gold, you can buy items, which are very important to be strong. Some champions need more specific items, try to check on the internet if you don't know what to buy.

These are the basics of the game, if you have more specific questions, ask them, but the best way to learn is playing! Good luck

Kiljosh

07-22-2012

Ive been teaching a friend the past 2 weeks and the biggest problem he's had is seeing me play aggressive in lane. He goes for kills when I'm just zoning, or chases someone with low HP and gets killed under their turret.

What a new player needs to do is get in lane and FARM. If you can get good at last hitting you will get a gold advantage and snowball. Especially in low level games where it seems everyone is focused on getting kills and pushing turrets as fast as possible.

Sit back, play smart, farm like a boss, constantly look at the TAB screen and see how the enemy team/your team is doing and what people are building. The enemy team has a champ on it you like to play? Look at his item build. What's different compared to your build? Is there a reason he built those items? Ask yourself questions about everything that goes on.

The more you play the more all of this will seem like common sense. Once you can decipher situation you start to recognize when a bad player puts himself out of position and you can capitalize.

Just remember 1 kill is only 350 gold. You can farm that in like 3-4 creep waves I'd say. So play smart and defensive under your turret if you have to.

Thel Vadamee

07-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiljosh View Post
Ive been teaching a friend the past 2 weeks and the biggest problem he's had is seeing me play aggressive in lane. He goes for kills when I'm just zoning, or chases someone with low HP and gets killed under their turret.

What a new player needs to do is get in lane and FARM. If you can get good at last hitting you will get a gold advantage and snowball. Especially in low level games where it seems everyone is focused on getting kills and pushing turrets as fast as possible.

Sit back, play smart, farm like a boss, constantly look at the TAB screen and see how the enemy team/your team is doing and what people are building. The enemy team has a champ on it you like to play? Look at his item build. What's different compared to your build? Is there a reason he built those items? Ask yourself questions about everything that goes on.

The more you play the more all of this will seem like common sense. Once you can decipher situation you start to recognize when a bad player puts himself out of position and you can capitalize.

Just remember 1 kill is only 350 gold. You can farm that in like 3-4 creep waves I'd say. So play smart and defensive under your turret if you have to.
300 gold, and try two waves.

Mastermarz

07-22-2012

Heres some tips for starting out: Find the strategy you want to go with and the champions with the abilities you like. Example i started out i got yelled and trolled for not knowing how to play before joining they expected me to know everything. After the first 3 matches i found out the strategies. ap carry ad carry tanking laning standard stuff i found those whose abilities can be comboed i like tanking and powerhousing so i went with ahri taric annie fiddlesticks and ashe.
get yourself familiar with controls mouse for movement enter to talk and use your shortcuts use the summoner spells based on ur character play such as carry or tank. q,w,e,r first second third and ult attacks learn to get ur finger movements together and then d and f for your summoner spells. when u got the controls down find your perfect champion matches. such as find 2-5 different champions ur alright-good with and 1-4 that ur the best with. learn to strategize and work with teammates u got ur laners ur carrys ur tanks and ur junglers u need to counter and prevent counters and learn to watch and play safe too. find an online strategy moba-fire has some good ones so try there first. follow this and learn over time and ur good

skemmast

07-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiljosh View Post
ISit back, play smart, farm like a boss, constantly look at the TAB screen and see how the enemy team/your team is doing and what people are building. The enemy team has a champ on it you like to play? Look at his item build. What's different compared to your build? Is there a reason he built those items? Ask yourself questions about everything that goes on.

Map awareness is definitely one of the hardest things for me to grasp. Same goes for recognizing enemy builds and retaliating appropriately. Right now I just go off a build that's popular in guides and tweak it slightly if it's obvious that it won't benefit me.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Appreciate it. I know playing is the best way to learn, but it's pretty rough being the reason why your team loses. I'll keep your advice in mind and hopefully the next match I don't end up with less than half of everyone else's kills, lol.

Kirielis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-22-2012

The LoL U (read the newbie forums) tends to be nice about these things. Even the meanie faces, and there are a few of us, who hang around will be patient for as long as you're actively trying to improve.

Things I found helpful, as a newbie:
- 1v0 custom game to practice farming. Also lets you look over shop items.
- The Tab key. I get to mouseover what the bots (opponents?) and my teammates are building. I could usually tell what stat the bots were focusing on, or if they were building MR (this means I need a void staff), or which defensive stat I needed, etc.
- Tower diving. I'm serious here. Prefer that you don't dive on champions, of course, but after a while you start to understand how many creeps left before you have to leave the tower, and how much damage tower shots do, and what range on the tower. Soon it becomes instinct and the calculation is automatic: if I dive this champion for a kill, can I get out?
- Death recaps. You can see what your opponent's abilities do. Wow! >.> (Similarly, play every free week champion once in AIs so you know what they do. And Tristana and Alistar.)

If you already know this stuff, my apologies. It's just that most everything else is, well, situational and learnt by experience. (Opposing 4 missing? Don't do dragon...except when you have 4 as well and win fights...but whose smite is higher leveled...does top lane have teleport...etc.)

thepantsparty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-22-2012

every day, play a co-op vs. ai game as a champion you've never tried before or with a build you've never tried before. it will help you get the basic feel of a lot of different champions in a much more relaxed environment and teach you about what different stuff does.

don't trust mobafire guides.

learn how to last hit.

MyPrettyPwny

07-22-2012

Is there any particular champion that you're interested in? If you post a question on these forums you're quite likely to get an answer pretty quickly.