ELO Hell: A Survival Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vigilant Ronin

09-10-2012

I liked this guide. I will refer to it when I am about to get upset. Favorited. + 1

Colred

11-06-2012

I'm thinking about reformatting this guide to include some of the really good replies people wrote, but I'd like to get some more replies to work with first. If you have any interest in this discussion, please feel free to add your 2 cents. I'll work the best of the commentary into the rewrite.

LaXGhosty

11-06-2012

Thanks for posting this guide. I feel more knowledgeable upon the subject of ELO Hell now and ranked play in general.

A question: When exactly do you think is a good time to start playing ranked games after 30? How do I know when I should start and is there any advice / guidance you can give on the fundamentals of what to do in specific roles when playing in ranked? (this might be an idea for another guide for you to write)

Colred

11-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaXGhosty View Post
When exactly do you think is a good time to start playing ranked games after 30?
This is a good question, but the answer isn't the same for everyone. Before I started playing ranked games, I read a guide that said 300 wins was a good minimum. I waited about 350 wins. The thing is, not everyone uses those early games as effectively. Ranked games are a whole different animal from normals. My advice would be this: don't start playing ranked until you feel you have "mastered" at LEAST 16 champs - 4 champs for each of your favorite 3 roles and 2 champs for each of your 2 least favorite roles. You should also probably own at least 40+ champs for swapping purposes. One of the important factors in playing ranked is having experience against all the different lane opponents you may face. That takes tons of games. But, then again, I learned more playing ranked than playing normals, so it's tough to say exactly.

Quote:
...is there any advice / guidance you can give on the fundamentals of what to do in specific roles when playing in ranked? (this might be an idea for another guide for you to write)
There are a lot of guides about this, and you're right, this one question deserves it's own guide. Here are some general tips I think are important to know about ranked games:

1. There IS a commonly played meta-game. If you don't want to play the current meta, you probably shouldn't play ranked games. It's not that you can't win by breaking the meta, it's that most people in solo and duo queue will instantly treat you like a troll if you try it.

2. Everyone MUST ward. Warding is not the sole responsibility of the support. If you don't have 1-2 wards down at all times, you're under-warding, regardless of your role.

3. LoL is a team game. Winning 1v1 fights doesn't mean anything if it puts your team in a bad 4v4 somewhere else, or you lose an important objective. Stats don't mean much at all, in fact. Look to coordinate with your team early and often, from every lane. The better team wins 90% of the games in ranked, and the better team is NOT the team with more individual skill - it's the team with better teamwork.

4. Learn your counters. http://lolcounter.com is a good place to start. Read guides. Spectate high-level games. Find a 2000+ elo player who plays your favorite champs and study what they do well. Doing well in ranked requires effort. Like in any sport, if you want to excel, you need to practice, eat right, study game film, etc. If you just want to chill and have fun, you'll probably find normals or customs a better environment.

Ezrabar

11-08-2012

Awesome read man. Keep it up. I'm gonna link this in my post.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2773492

Colred

11-26-2012

Still looking for a bit more feedback for version 2.0

Colred

11-28-2012

Aaaaand still getting nothing . Last bump, I promise.

Qsario

11-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edzter View Post
ap mids, no saying im bad as a support, but its the LEAST fun role in this stupid meta, and gold per 5 items is whats keeping it alive
Get good shield skills. There's nothing more awesome for a support than when you can drop that clutch shield on Katarina that saves her and wins the teamfight

You can bind keys to target champion 1/2/3/4. Assuming your shield is E and you've used something like zxcv for the target keys, that means that you can hit EV to shield champion #4. If you memorize who is who early game, especially your ADC while countering harass, you can get shields up mid animation vs. Ez skillshots.

So there are ways to have fun as support. Maybe they're not for you, I don't know, but you can still feel like you made a big contribution to your games as a support.

KB Earvy

12-19-2012

This is too brilliant to go unnoticed.
Bump

Devious Rogue

12-20-2012

Everyone wards... except the ADC. ADC should be exempt from warding duties if he has a competent support.

Also, keep in mind that people have "role ELOs" as well. I like to think I can play Jungler quite well, and if all I ever played was Jungler in every game and they didn't ban my 4 or so strong Jungle champs, I'd probably climb out somewhat fast. But my "role ELO" for other roles would be considerable lower. I'm not good enough with positioning to play a "good ADC", I have only a mediocre grasp of the tactics involved in pick and counter-picking support, mid and top and I only have a few champs in each category, even fewer that I can consistently play very well. So my true ELO would probably be somewhat lower than my "Jungle ELO".

There's where a lot of attitude problems come from. Some people who rock their roles but suck at others believe they deserve better but are dragged down by the games in which their role gets headbumped or when they're pushed into another role. Part of the fault lies with them though, for not being able to play all roles well.