Building my own builds

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IsshuukanFriends

07-20-2012

So I am fairly new to the League and I wanna know how all these people come up with these awesome builds.
My attempts at making my own build usually end up with me buying a bunch of random stuff.
Do you guys have any tips on making my own build and giving it the flexibility to be changed against different match-ups?
Just for some extra info I use champs like wukong, lee sin, jax, talon, and teemo.
I dont want any builds just advice on making my own, examples would be nice though

Sevgz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-20-2012

Hello!

You may want to check some pro guides for core builds. After you know what kind of items work on each champion you should ge able to determine what to build around that.

Check LoLPro and Solomid for guides.

Amaltron

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-20-2012

You'll need to gain some insight on each champion's strengths, weaknesses, and your own strengths/weaknesses to begin properly building well. For now, just try and understand each champion and then translate that into item builds.

For example, if you were playing as Lee Sin, with 4 other non tanky characters on your team, against a Wukong. You would want to build a Phage, Wriggles if your enemy isn't harassing you, and into a Mallet. If you manage to get fed, you build a Bloodthirster, if you don't get fed, you rush more defenses depending on who is fed and what the main source of damage is. There are a lot of variables to run through.

tl;dr: it depends on the situation on what to build.

IsshuukanFriends

07-20-2012

Thanks

Henry9000

07-20-2012

Are you using the champion builders in leaguecraft or mobafire?
You can read up other builds to see what items they use and why.
I head to Lolwikia to get numbers on skills and ratios.

HonorableGeneral

07-20-2012

The main way of tuning your own builds is to play around with champions and learn their strengths and weaknesses.

For example, Jax (my main) is a very strong hybrid champion due to benefiting from both attack damage and ability power with good scaling. Since his main job is a melee bruiser, I need good kiting ability as well since I need to be able to keep pace with enemy champions.

Thus, it's wise to invest in a Frozen Mallet or Trinity Force as my first item after I buy situational boots (Merc Treads for enemy teams with a lot of slows and stuns; Ninja Tabi for mostly AD teams). Frozen Mallet is my pick when my team needs an off-tank (because we have no tank - i.e. our Amumu is going AP - rare, but it happens) but for general combat stats I'll grab a Trinity Force instead (less tankiness, but has the slow of Mallet and extra AP to boot). I won't take two at once, since their slows don't stack.

A good rule of thumb when picking items for champions is:

- Building more offensive when winning lane (unless tank)
- Building more defensive when losing lane
- Making sure items don't have wasted bonuses (i.e. don't buy two items with a slow that doesn't stack, like Frozen Mallet and Trinity Force)
- Making sure items don't have wasted stats (i.e. for armor, don't build Frozen Heart if your champion has no mana)
- Building to counter the enemy team (i.e. building magic pen or armor pen when enemies are stacking magic resist and armor, respectively)
- Building to help your own team via auras (i.e. building a Will of the Ancients for spell vamp if you have multiple caster-based characters; building a Zeke's Herald for life steal if you have multiple auto-attack characters)
- Building to maximize your role (building auras as support; building damage/armor pen as AD carry; building damage/magic pen as AP carry)

Kirielis

07-20-2012

Solomid actually has very good advice: build this vs who, build this in this situation, etc. (As long as you stick to featured/approved guides.) It will definitely help in learning how to itemise situationally, what you'd call "building my own builds".