Champion variety (beware: monsters within!)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ginga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigrat View Post
Playing AD kennen is like petting a cats butt against the grain.

For the majority of lols lifetime, Kayle was a support champion, playing her AD would get you raged at.

She can be played AD now, but her kit and balance basically just make her a RADC, the ability to go from ranged to melee has no consequence. When her E spell is down she is ineffective. They could quite easily remove the skill altogether and just make her ranged with next to zero change in gameplay.
Well.............do you atleast agree with the criminally nonexistent amount of insect champions?.....................................

Also, Riot intended Kennen to be AD or AP. They even mentioned it when people started playing him like that occasionally. AP the much more powerful, but AD the occasionally viable alternative.

ArcaniteReaper

07-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÝt1nPieces View Post
Ironstylus! I request you to verbally *****-slap this foo! We give you permission!
What did i do?

Jats605

07-21-2012

While we're on Champions, I've been thinking:
Zyra is Champion #101.
Will there ever be a point at which you will no longer be able to make champs that re unique, be it in design, playstlye, etc?
And if so, when would you stop?

Pigrat

07-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginga View Post
Well.............do you atleast agree with the criminally nonexistent amount of insect champions?.....................................

Yep, a RADC Bee/Wasp champion that shoots stingers would be awesome. And still infinityX better than ANOTHER gun champion.

Makhiavelli

07-21-2012

Nice to hear...the last several champions have been pretty bland to me personality wise. Draven, Jayce, Darius, Varus...even their names are boring. Compare them and their lore to older champions like Ezreal, Teemo, Heimerdinger, Twitch and it's like...D: where did all the creativity go???

Shinjiro Aragaki

07-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeo View Post

A champion archetype I'd like represented though is something Water-based from a visual standpoint and a damage-over-time based from a gameplay standpoint. (Swain and Malzahar seem to be the only DoT champions in the game) , to some extent champions like Mummy (cry) and Draven (passive) but the game-play of a certain champion revolving around multiple damage-over-time effects is extremely appealing to me. To give an example - Affliction Warlocks in World of Warcraft, Spiritmasters and Clerics in Aion, etc. The simple fact that you see an absurd amount of numbers on your screen is super fun. The same way a Witch Doctor or a Whilwind barb in Diablo 3 works. The amount of numbers,while being lower then other, is extremely satisfying.
I see where you're going with this but you're forgetting Singed, Teemo, Twitch and Cass who all depend on DoT quite often. Cass has 2 abilities that are only DoT (and they stack so it's a lot of DoT).

Ginga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-21-2012

Quote:
Yep, a RADC Bee/Wasp champion that shoots stingers would be awesome. And still infinityX better than ANOTHER gun champion.
What no that'll kill it...

If you want a ranged bee champion, the only way that could work would be a man with a hive of bees in his body that crawls out through honey-comb shaped pores in his arms and crawls to his hands.

And he should throw those bees like throwing knives....and spout bee puns with every quote!

*upon death*: "I'll BEE back!"

Quote:
Draven, Jayce, Darius, Varus...even their names are boring.
Wait, personality wise, how is Draven bland?

Fubby2

07-21-2012

Morello.

Please don't say rad.

It gives gamers a bad name.

XVIII The Moon

07-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Yes, smaller is fine (Lulu and Nautilus were this and we knew they would be), but minuscule is too far.
That can't be true, at least for Nautilus. Using http://www.lolking.net/ (which I know won't be as good as your data though, but is still decent from a player side view), Nautilus is number 8 out of 11 of most played tanks. The tanks above him is (in order of least played to most played) is Amumu, Alister, and then Malphite. Though Malphite is seeing a drop and Alister might over take him in a few weeks.

He is barely beating one of the "human" champions of Leona. On top of that, all the top tanks right now are in fact monster champions. leona is the only one close to being near the top while sejuani (HINT HINT FIX HER KIT) is only at 1%.

Lulu is not popular however, mainly due to her nerfs as well as she isn't as good of a disruption Champion as Janna. Right now king of supports is Alister, Janna, Leona, and soraka.

Though, I think tanks are a very good example of Monsters or "exotic" champions. When you give them a good kit, it doesn't matter that much if they are human or not, they will be played more then those with weaker kits. Then again, maybe tanks arn't a good example since there isn't many normal champions in that category.

Saelos

07-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
np

We avoid exposed bones because we are a global game and do have players in China, where there are strict regulations on such things. We see this as an opportunity to define undead (Mord, Hecarim) as something more unique to LoL.

I don't think there's a big controversy on Omen. There's plenty of champions we've not made because they were not good enough or had insurmountable problems, even if the core idea has some merit.
I'm just wondering, how does Karthus work with all that? Since we can see his bones and all.