Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Champion variety (beware: monsters within!)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hawkeye

07-21-2012

Quote:
Morello:
This topic (character art) is not something I can talk much about, but is really something for our art director or other person who can explain aesthetics. Your pattern recognition also has result bias, because you're bringing up examples that fit your statement and ignoring the significant counter-examples of Leona, Riven, Lulu, Varus, Tryndamere, and other counter points.

On this front, there's good archetype variety, but for some reason people like to kick up dust about this.

Kick up dust? Try to create two diverse looking lineups, one male and one female. Don't count Yordles for either list, because you guys are doing a good job with them. It's only humans and monsters that need to be examined.

Male champions that wouldn't be considered conventionally attractive: Alistar, Blitzcrank, Cho'Gath, Dr. Mundo, Fiddlesticks, Fizz, Galio, Gragas, Hecarim, Jax, Karthus, Kassadin, Kog'Maw, Malphite, Maokai, Mordekaiser, Nasus, Nautilus, Nocturne, Nunu, Rammus, Renekton, Shaco, Singed, Sion, Trundle, Twitch, Urgot, Volibear, Warwick, Wukong, Xerath, Yorick, Zilean.

For females: the best you can do is maybe Anivia, Annie, Cassiopeia (debatable) and Soraka. Hopefully Soraka won't get removed from this list after her art rework and new skin. Kayle would have been on this list in the past.

Why is the female list so much shorter than the male list? You can use someone like Leona as an example of not sexualizing a female champion and you're absolutely right. But this goes back to the issue of silhouettes and archetypes. Female variety in those regards simply isn't up to par with their male counterparts.

You guys are all over the place for male design, with all sorts of body types, etc. Ignoring the recent back to back beefcake releases, the male variety as a whole is close to where it should be. You've got some eye-candy and attractive males, but you also have quite a few that no one would find conventionally attractive. And that's how it should be, because this is League of Legends and not League of Beautiful People.

Aside from Yordles and the few exceptions listed above, that design isn't carrying over to female champions. Why? A good exercise for you to try: ask yourself how certain male champions would look if you designed them as females instead. If the female version is attractive where the male version isn't, then it means you are using different design standards for males than for females, which is a problem.

nillthium

07-21-2012

Quote:
mr t virus:
you know what we need? We need a dinosaur-esque monster, a creature from ancient runeterra, brought out of its own time!

( 0_0)

NoxiousIce

07-21-2012

Hey Morrello, IronStylus. It's great to see you guys answering questions. Hopefully you guys will still be watching the thread.

Right now there's a HUGE variety of champion abilities out there which have all sorts of effects. Personally, I love new mechanics, and often I wish that every champion release would bring a new mechanic into the game. This is why I'm so excited for Zyra. Do you have any unique mechanics coming out on the next champion? Or will they be reusing old mechanics in new ways?

On another point, I love trail effects like Nocturne's Duskbringer, and I'd love to see more trails like that being used in interesting and new ways.

mrheadhopper

07-21-2012

Release Omen pls

He looks cool

I AM A FORUM MOD

07-21-2012

talk is cheap.

actions speak louders then words.

just look at how many monster types have been released this year.

Sarudalf

07-21-2012

Quote:
Morello:
Spider Queen I remain quiet on!

While I hoped that you would reveal something more about Spider Queen, it doesn't matter that you decide to remain quiet, it will just make the surprise better when she is released.

HauntedTinMan

07-21-2012

Being a gigantic fan of clowns, and not simply because of The Joker, I feel that there should be a few jester/circus themed Champs. Though, I do realize that it'll never happen because I'm probably the only one that wishes this... so I'll just be in my corner... softly weeping...

crowsntacos

07-21-2012

So, I may have missed something, but why not just release non-fighters for a while, get that group out of the way, so others on the forums stop complaining about overblowing the same archetype?

Zeninth

07-21-2012

Nice thread, I'm going to add my thoughts and some of it might have been said by many others already since this thread is so huge

The problem isn't that players don't like monsters Riot, it's just that the most powerful/versatile champs tend to be all the humanoid ones. If Nautilus was a giant floating tentacle beast with the exact same toolkit as he has, it would have been just as popular as current Nautilus for jungle ganking and initiating in team fights.

Keep working on creating compelling champs with interesting toolkits and team synergies and your players will play those monsters. Cho'gath isn't played as much because other tanky type champs just seem to perform better than it overall.

Another thread led me here and it talked about not just having monster champs but having a wider array of humanoids. I agree with that and would love to see another child champ that isn't a Yordle or seeing more humanoids that aren't hyper masculine or sexualized women. This may represent different things to everyone but I'm talking about the recent release of super muscle dudes and big breasted women. Another cutesy Lux type girl would be great ( I dont' recall if she has big breasts.).

Jayce is actually a very cool champ. The problem is he was released right after Darius and Draven. I think if Jayce was a girl or thin glasses wearing Clark Kent (and not Superman body) guy, he or she would have been much more well received.

Unfortunately, the timing just makes it seem like "OH great, 3 steroid buff guys in a row".

I'm glad Riot realizes that looking at champion releases from a yearly timeline is not the best. As players, we look forward to each champion release MONTH to MONTH, not over a year. So 3 buff dudes back to back who are quasi bruisers to an extent is going to feel very stale for us.

Glad to see this thread by Riot and the discussion here. Still would have preferred Zyra to be a cutesy demure Pokemon trainer personality instead of the feral poison ivy. But that's just my taste

Thanks everyone!

Colonel Mustang

Recruiter

07-21-2012

Quote:
Avalon Bright:
Because of course adding a little appropriate cursing as spice is bad and wrong and immature and childish and WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!?!?!?

Grow up, honestly.

I wasn't thinking of children at all when I made that post. I also never implied swearing is childish, I would think it is not childish but more 13-30ish.
Lastly, I don't think it is ever appropriate to curse, there are plenty of more appropriate words that can achieve the same, or better, descriptive power.