Champion variety (beware: monsters within!)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Blac Iyc

07-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Yup, and I remember apologizing and admitting that I got caught in my own crummy logic at the time. You don't need to showcase breasts/cleavage/etc to solidify a female read.

I actually took those comments I was given really to heart. Maybe at some point you'll find out how I reconciled and incorporated that feedback,
even tho there r people who complain about the sexy champs, dont forget the people who like it. its ur art do wat u want with it, u dont need to apologize for ur work

ps im a fan of sona's boobs lol

Fathootz

07-21-2012

Trundle skin whereeeeeeee

Yasuchika

07-21-2012

I'd love to see a chart with relative popularity for each champion, although I guess there might be too many negative consequences to posting something like that.

Arcaness

07-21-2012

Is Skarner going to see some skin love? With the awesome quality in the skins department, I'm hoping to see a wicked Skarner skin down the pipeline.

Rabbi

07-21-2012

Since you are here oh mighty Parrot.

I realise that you (read Riot) really like the excuse that LoL doesn't have real world ethnicities but that is no reason not to have the real world variety of human coloration represented Of the champions with skin tones that range within the human norm you have 32 whites (5 might be dusky enough to call mediterranean), 4 asian, 1 ambiguous. When the disposition is so overwhelmingly biased you have to start to ask yourself if there is a fundamental problem in the creative department that the aesthetic choice continually marginalizes a group marginalized in the real world.

Certainly some archetypes work better with a white (or since LoL has no ethnicities a 'pale northern complexion') like Olaf since he is evoking the Viking concept which were a bunch of white dudes. However there is no reason that a champion like Jayce couldn't have been designed to be as cool, visually interesting, or thematic if he had been black (or an 'equitorial shaded complexion'). A burly black dude either bald or with close shorn hair wading around the battle field with a awesome technohammergun would have been incredibly awesome and would have helped disrupt the impact that draven, darius, jayce being so aesthetically similar and released together created.

There is a significant portion of your market that would like champion choices that reflect them and their families in appearance. The only reason I can think of to continue to fail to provide them with those options after so long (and it being an issue for so long) is that the staff at Riot are either incredibly lazy and unaware of their racial biases or that you are convinced that your customer base is so racist that they wouldn't buy that champion. Neither option reflects well on the game.

LagSpikes

07-21-2012

awesome to hear

ShootyMcGunshot

07-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
Since you are here oh mighty Parrot.

I realise that you (read Riot) really like the excuse that LoL doesn't have real world ethnicities but that is no reason not to have the real world variety of human coloration represented Of the champions with skin tones that range within the human norm you have 32 whites (5 might be dusky enough to call mediterranean), 4 asian, 1 ambiguous. When the disposition is so overwhelmingly biased you have to start to ask yourself if there is a fundamental problem in the creative department that the aesthetic choice continually marginalizes a group marginalized in the real world.

Certainly some archetypes work better with a white (or since LoL has no ethnicities a 'pale northern complexion') like Olaf since he is evoking the Viking concept which were a bunch of white dudes. However there is no reason that a champion like Jayce couldn't have been designed to be as cool, visually interesting, or thematic if he had been black (or an 'equitorial shaded complexion'). A burly black dude either bald or with close shorn hair wading around the battle field with a awesome technohammergun would have been incredibly awesome and would have helped disrupt the impact that draven, darius, jayce being so aesthetically similar and released together created.

There is a significant portion of your market that would like champion choices that reflect them and their families in appearance. The only reason I can think of to continue to fail to provide them with those options after so long (and it being an issue for so long) is that the staff at Riot are either incredibly lazy and unaware of their racial biases or that you are convinced that your customer base is so racist that they wouldn't buy that champion. Neither option reflects well on the game.
Given LoLs horrible, horrible player community avoiding creating black skinned characters isn't that bad of an idea.

MichikoUsagi

07-21-2012

Wewtioooo monsters

Koakumazif

07-21-2012

I hope you arn't taking too much from the people saying that females are being oversexualized, personally I would love to see more scantily clad females. Away with the armor.

Al3x4ndar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-21-2012

Add Orc champion?